1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Great collection... Just scared to drink any of it!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jlechner23, Jan 10, 2013.

1. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Well, that's what it was brewed for. :D

2. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

I have to admit I used to be the same way. I would routinely buy several bottles of various Imperial Stouts, Barleywines, Belgians and try maybe 1 bottle and then stash away the rest for who knows when. Then it got to a point that I could almost never "justify" pulling a bottle from the cellar and they just sat. My stash started to get out of control, so over the last year or so I have drank down my cellar to about 40-50 bottles, and almost all of those now are within a year or 2 old. And to be honest, in most cases (not all of course), I have come to realize that I enjoy most beers fresh or within a year or so old. So now, moving forward, whatever I buy, I will only put away 1 maybe 2 bottles just to see how it is after a year or so. This is working for me now. Cheers.

gcamparone and digdug1810 like this.
  3. Father time called. He wants his three years back.

4. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Normal for you I guess. Its just beer. i just take pictures of the store if i want to just look at beer bottles.

5. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (515) Texas Nov 27, 2011

DRINK YOUR BEER!!

6. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

Oh shit! Now you tell me.

7. Opening them & enjoying them is incredibly easy.
    I find finishing them equally easy ;)

In the shameful event that one cannot, simply put a wine stopper in the bottle.
    Big BA beers will be absolutely fine the next day.

8. I drink the hell out of my cellar. I stock the shit out of it as well! LOL! There are certain rarity's that I tend to shy away from, and stuff I'm experimenting with for the long haul that I just won't touch right now, but I'll eventually get to it all. That's why it was made right? To enjoy with friends or alone. I may do an '06-'15 GI BCBS vertical tasting one day, or even a Black Tuesday '09-'18 when my step-daughter goes off to college... but none the less, they will get drunk!

JxExM likes this.
  9. If I have the opportunity to grab multiple bottles of something pretty special, I usually follow this rule: Drink a couple / cellar a couple/ trade a couple. And the "drink a couple" part usually involves sharing or a tasting. Now if, after I taste the first one, I'm not a big fan, then things progress to the "trade it all" stage.

JxExM likes this.
  10. Actually they will get drank, and then you will get drunk.

11. This sounds like a psychological issue.

Azzy likes this.
  12. Great choice! I had a bottle of it when my family came to visit me this summer - you won't be disappointed.

13. Rfunk

Rfunk Aficionado (125) California Nov 28, 2012

I just tried Melange 3 on Monday. I was very impressed.

14. It's hard because this hobby is a combination of collecting (cellaring) and experiencing (drinking). I've found that you have to find a good equilibrium to get maximum enjoyment.

ales4baldo, rmcnealy and JxExM like this.
  15. See, I took care of this problem a while ago. I was amassing a pretty nice little cellar when I started to notice the one rack I had couldn't hold any beer. So I went and bought another rack. So now sitting with two racks they were both starting to get full. So I started drinking. Told myself that I wouldn't make room for more beer but instead start drinking what I had so I could store what came in. And if it didn't fit then lay low for a bit.

You can sit there and amass a great cellar but fuck, what's the point of just having it there so they can begin to fall and left with shit beer. At the end of the day, sure. You might have some pretty rare beer and a couple on offs. So take the time to enjoy one every now and then, sit back and feel proud that you were able to enjoy that beer when so many couldn't.

As of now, I still have some nice full racks but I don't walk into my cellar just to look at some nice racks. I grab a bottle and down it goes.

16. All that beer scare to drink any of it. You go outside and get hit by a bus. The beer will just seat there. You be saying" Dam I wish I tried it ."

17. You should check out the latest Beeradvocate, it is a group of German scientists in Munich that are genetically modifying yeast to force it to produce different flavors and even chemicals like caffeine. And they're doing it in the shadow of the Weihenstephan brewery to boot.

18. Drink the god damn beer. Are you serious?

19. chase2634

chase2634 Savant (315) Pennsylvania Nov 10, 2009

You have a problem. Drink it, share it, enjoy it. That's why it was made!

20. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

I say Problem. Your scenario, "have a whole case," and still not wanting to open even ONE!!! For F*%K's sake I'd understand if you were down to 2 or 3, BUT A CASE!!! That's when it becomes a problem.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  21. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Is this a serious thread? My good, they make more beer everyday... And it sounds like Black Note will be around for a while!

22. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (525) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Anything I'm saving because it'll be worth $$$ someday is what I like to call cancer $$$. Because when the chips are down & they've bled ya dry you've got this stuff to sell just long enough to breath a few more days...SO, HAVE A BEER & ENJOY LIFE...before you cannot. Remember kids a nursing facility is death's waiting room, much like prison you can't leave & come back by bedtime. SO, HAVE A BEER & ENJOY LIFEo_O

23. That's a bunch of bullshit. The Germans are so heavily regulated, it's not possible. The only group genetically modifying anything is the likes of InBev.

24. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Texas Sep 15, 2012

First world problems.