Great Divide Samurai

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Mebuzzard, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

No longer available on retail shelves, but will they still brew it? It's a nice summer beer; one of those that's not overly complicated that I can just drink and not think.

2. The Hapa Sushi chain has a "Hapa Rice Beer" brewed by GD. I always assumed it's the same beer?

3. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Haven't heard, but just saw on their website they are coming out with a seasonal Belgian White at 5.2% ABV called Heyday. Maybe this is a replacement? Seems like a lot of lineup changes in the past couple of months.

4. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

I liked Samurai quite a bit. A good rice adjunct pale ale.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  5. Mebuzzard

The Orabelle is the seasonal on the shelves now. Haven't tried it....yet. Heyday in April methinks

6. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Had Orabelle the other day; solid Trippel. I like the idea of getting a trippel in 6 pack.

7. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I read something a few months ago that said they were killing off Samurai even though as a brand it had done pretty well. Something about it not really fitting in their larger plans of bigger beers. There's another thread around here about them killing off Belgian Yeti, too. I liked both of those.
    Heyday (a wit...which I'm not too excited about) should be replacing Samurai while there's now a TBD Yeti in place of Belgian.
    Personally, instead of Claymore and Hoss I think they should make Rumble a year-round. I think me and Scott from Wit's End drink enough of that one to keep it afloat by ourselves.

8. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (165) Colorado May 14, 2012

Yea I'm pretty mad about Belgian Yeti discontinuing! I said this about every version of Yeti when I first tasted it lol, but it was my favorite version! Buying quite a few to cellar before they're off the shelves.

9. This shit is crazy smooth and tasty. This is easily going to become a go to session beer.

10. Samurai sure did make a tasty beer mimosa

tacosandbeer likes this.
  11. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

Samurai, wild raspberry, tripel, and hades are all discontinued

12. Domingo

Huh. I didn't know about Hades, although I guess Orabelle seems like a no-brainer replacement for Tripel and a strong golden isn't too far off from that flavor profile either.
    While I like Nomad, I find it to be a bit of an outlier with all of their other stuff now.
    At one time I really liked Claymore, but the smokiness kind of grinds on me. Especially in warmer months. I'll have to ask them to replace it with Rumble as a year-rounder.

13. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Whoa bruh. You like to party.

14. CellarGimp

I agree. Claymore is the exact style of "Scotch Ale" that I do not like. The kind that tastes like Scotch. This is an American craft beer innovation/bastardization of the style. Peat smoked malt makes for awful tasting beer IMHO.

Prospero and coreymcafee like this.
  15. Domingo

Yeah, I find that lots of brewers are throwing smoked malts (of all sorts, usually Weyermann Rauchmalz) into places they might not fit. Some work well, while many others really don't. I'm still an Old Chub fanatic, but I think smoke takes away from some beers that would be better served without it.

16. CellarGimp

I enjoyed many smoked beers that use beechwood and the like. I definitely like traditional Rauchbier and Smoked Porters, etc. Do not like Peatiness in beer though.

17. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

I hate peated malt. Smoked malt in porters, slightly bearable. Peated malt though is just over the top.

18. Mebuzzard

I haven't been a huge fan of GD's Belgian style beers. Collette gave off a sweet corn aroma and flavor. B Yeti didn't do it for me. Hades wasn't bad, more seasonal for me (summer). Naturally, I will try the Orabelle. Wild Raspberry was a solid seller; not many "under the top" fruit beers out there

19. Sad to hear about Samurai being discontinued. I have only had a few GD beers, but that one was one of my favorites. Light and refreshing.

coreymcafee likes this.