1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Great Goses

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cfh64, Jan 19, 2013.

1. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

I know the style is somewhat obscure but I want more. I've only had 5-6 examples and they all varied from each other quite a bit. Most of the ones I've tried had the characteristic tartness but the coriander and mainly saltiness were much different from beer to beer.

The best one I had was at Golden City Brewery in Golden, Co. It had more pronounced saltiness and coriander than the others. The problem is I don't believe they brew it too often, I think there is a new head brewer, they don't bottle it, etc.

Anyone know of any off the radar Goses out there? I know it's not a very common style brewed. The "examples" listed on BA don't get very good ratings or they are draft only. I'm hoping there may be a few hidden gems I don't know about that would be easy to trade for (preferably bottle) whether its year round or seasonal. Yes, I've had most of the German examples that are available in the U.S and I had Choc's version which wasn't too shabby. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Did you have the 2011 or 2012 Choc? They drink quite differently.

3. rinhaak

rinhaak Savant (385) Massachusetts Jun 23, 2009

cfh64 likes this.
  4. Westbrook makes one that I think is great. They do several old school styles. They do a nice gratzer too. Their gose is a great summer beer.

5. cfh64

I've had both, I wish I was able to try them side by side but the '11 didn't last that long around here :)

6. I was also going to mention Westbrook's. Came out a while ago so it might be tough to find but I'd be willing to bet they'll do another batch at some point.

cfh64 likes this.
  7. cfh64

8. cfh64

Actually, Westbrooks gose is on my wants and has been for awhile. I could have sworn it used to say brewed in spring or summer but now it says "brewed once". I was going to go to the South Atlantic Forum to get more details.

9. It has only be brewed once, in the spring/summer last year. They've made the Gratzer again recently though so hopefully the Gose will come back soon as well (and the lichtenhainer - smoked sour goodness)

cfh64 likes this.
  10. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Man, I had the Golden City Gose last summer. That stuff is awesome. Their IPA is out of this world as well, off topic. Anyway, I have only had a few other examples. One from Ranger Creek that was horrid, I did not even review it. That is saying something from a Texas brewery ticker. I have had a few others at tastings, but names and breweries escape me now.

cfh64 likes this.
  11. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

i believe the plural of gose is gese.

12. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Jeff, the head brewer at Golden City, is now at Fate in Boulder. Not sure if he's taking that Gose recipe, but it was a dandy one. The best I've had, even though like you I haven't had that many. Another local brewery made one that was a salt bomb.

cfh64 likes this.
  13. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

Tiny bubbles from hollister brewing is an amazing gose!

oregone likes this.
  14. Only had one Gose about a year ago and was not a fan at all. Maybe it's lack of experience with the style.

kojevergas likes this.
  15. While I'm glad to have a local brewery experimenting with these styles, I'll be even more glad when they finally succeed in producing something authentic. Perhaps the latest iterations are heading in the right direction (dunno, haven't tried them recently), but as it stands their Gose just isn't there yet.

16. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Cascade puts one out every season but draft only. I've had one of them, only one of the style. They are worth a try. Growlers of them are fairly easy to come by in the PNW.

koopa likes this.
  17. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

I want to try the Westbrook one personally. Tried some of the import versions and didn't really care for any of them. What breweries were they? Don't remember. Pretty forgettable. But from what I've heard, Westbrook gose is stellar.

18. Tucquan

Tucquan Advocate (545) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2007

I had a superb gose from Destihl in Bloomington, IL

19. rinhaak

I've been trying to keep my eyes open for it here (Boston). I'll let you know if any make it to the shelves again.

I don't know others' opinions on it, but I'd stay away from the Sam Adams version.

cfh64 likes this.
  20. Chas58

Chas58 Aficionado (115) New Jersey Oct 21, 2010

21. rinhaak

22. cfh64

This looks promising, just have to see when it comes on tap and if anyone is willing to ship a growler of it.

As with most goses, it seems as if they're not popular enough to brew in general let alone bottle :(. This style is a pain in the ass to seek out. Maybe it will become like sours and become all the rage in a year or two.

23. cfh64

I added this to my wants, I'm now one of two, lol. Not much love for the Gose.

24. rinhaak

I was happy for your post. I love the Gose. I bet it makes a resurgence in the near future. I'm going to try to brew one this summer; I'm kinda excited to try it out.

cfh64 likes this.
  25. Yeah we have only made the gose once and its long gone, but believe me, all of us at the brewery want more. It's not on the books to be made at the moment. It's up to Edward when we do it again. It was a big hit so hopefully it won't be too long.

26. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

I like the local option one and the German ones that I have had.

27. sendsilk

sendsilk Advocate (500) Florida Aug 31, 2007

Brad,
    This is funny, I posted looking for some Gose a couple of weeks ago and there didn't appear to be too much out there. Most of it is brewery only. Here is the link for the few replies I was given:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...-on-getting-some-nice-gose.61064/#post-829290

I will tell you this, I tried a gose from a local brewery here and it was FANTASTIC. It's from Rapp brewing and he just recently opened his brewery. It is draft only and I had it at some beer events and local draft. His brewery is about 1 1/2 hours from me soi have not been able to get over there yet. i am trying to make a trek over and if you want I'll grab you a growler of it. Send me a BM.

I've had Westbrook gose and although it was good, I think I would have preferred it more when it was fresh and the release has been a while now. And MikeinCharleston, thanks for the bottles that you traded Jason!

cfh64 likes this.
  28. cfh64

If you like your homebrew, honesty policy applies here ;) and happen to bottle some let me know, I'll trade ya something for a few.

29. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (750) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Brad, Tired Hands made a gose around Halloween called Ghost Gose... you'll probably have to wait a while to see it again, but it's definitely worth trading for a growler if it comes back!

cfh64 likes this.
  30. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

My favorite I had to date was from Farmer's Cabinet, Mary Me in Goslar.

Can't go wrong with Leipziger... on tap it's a 100 times better.

31. cfh64

Man, what's bunch of teases. A lot of these suggestions look great but are either brewed once (a few) or draft only (most) I know the style isn't for everyone but by my count there are only a couple (literally) of breweries in the U.S that even bottle a Gose once a year. If you like Gose, write your local brewery and DEMAND they brew one and bottle it. If you don't like Gose, do it anyways ;)

I'll have to try Leipziger on draft if I ever see it. I was quite unimpressed with the bottled version.

32. At the moment it isn't bottled but Back Forty does a really good Gose.

33. slentz

slentz Savant (310) Pennsylvania Mar 20, 2010

The one I had from Portsmouth last year was very solid.

cfh64 likes this.
  34. cfh64

Nice...that looks somewhat obtainable :).

35. slentz

slentz Savant (310) Pennsylvania Mar 20, 2010

I go up north every year. If I hit up Portsmouth and they have it I will send you one!

cfh64 likes this.
  36. Portsmouth has a dunkle gose on right now. I really want to try it, so far their regular is the best I have ever tried. I have had a couple that were way too salty and almost undrinkable.

Not my favorite style, but it is really refreshing if its brewed right!

cfh64 likes this.
  37. rinhaak

Deal!

cfh64 likes this.
  38. I haven't had too many of the style, but the best one I have tried is Westbrook's version.

39. TreeBeer

TreeBeer Zealot (80) Massachusetts Jun 27, 2012

Ritterguts Gose is pretty good