1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Great Lakes Alchemy Hour Double IPA

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by BB1313, Feb 6, 2013.

1. pyite

pyite Aficionado (195) Ohio Feb 25, 2013

2. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

I had high hopes going into this one, and while it is very tasty, didn't quite do it for me. I'd gladly drink it again, but it isn't something I'll seek out or buy much of again.
  3. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I revisited this at the brewery again last night and came to the same conclusion. Solid, but nothing mind blowing.
  4. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

One mans trash is another mans treasure. A beer so freaking dry it feels like they are scraping the skin off my tongue sounds delicious!

Alchemy Hour is just a shade off, for me. A bit too sweet, not bad but definitely not great. Lake Erie Monster is much more to my liking.
  5. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I didn't say it was trash, just really freaking dry! I love dry IPAs.
  6. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I really need to try this IBUsive. I hear it's doing really well in the Brewing News National IPA Challenge..
  7. jb123

jb123 Savant (470) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

Is Great Lakes alchemy hour a year round deal or what's the word?
  8. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Spring Seasonal
  9. jb123

Awesome thanks! Heard its goo stuff grabbing four tmw.
  10. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

I agree that probably isn't the right quote. What I meant to say is that the things you found that perhaps made it a shade less appealing to you sounded really, really appealing to me.

Every time I hear someone describe an assertive DIPA that is really flavorful and then the finish by saying the words "nice malty backbone" or "with a hint of sweetness to add balance" I sigh, every so slightly.
    miketd likes this.
  11. lftwng4

lftwng4 Aficionado (220) Ohio Oct 12, 2007

We had a bottle tonight, my wife really liked it. I thought it was a bit sweet. Reminded me of Hopslam from several years back. Not bad, I'd like to drink a few of them and see where that goes.
  12. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Grab 2. It's freakin' awesome. Best IPA we had blind last week.
    Zaphog likes this.
  13. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

Picked up a four pack here for $10.99. Havent opened one yet, but looking forward to it based on the reviews here.
  14. jb123

when in rome...im going to get two
    jegross2 likes this.
  15. miketd

Haha, I agree! I also hate when people say, "it's a nicely balanced IPA". When I hear that, it's pretty likely I will hate the brew. I like my IPA very unbalanced, thank you very much. ;)
    northernbrews and jampics2 like this.
  16. Wasn't there another thread devoted to this beer? I thought it was 2-3 pages long. Did Vav post that Harlem Shake video in that thread, too? He's going to wind up nuking every other thread here!
  17. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

Anyone that lives on the east side of Cleveland and is looking to fill a growler. Save On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor has it for $9.99/growler.
  18. mtskier

mtskier Savant (255) Illinois Feb 23, 2013

Anyone seen this in the north Chicago burbs? Skokie Binnys didn't have it, wasn't sure if they were getting any either.
  19. bperry65

bperry65 Zealot (95) Ohio Feb 8, 2012

I've seen it a few places around Evanston, picked it up for $12.50 at D&D Finer foods in Evanston, not sure if they still have it though.
  20. Got it in charlotte today. Its good but has a bit too much honey
  21. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Maybe a bit too far out for you but I know the Buffalo Grove Binny's tweeted that they had it on Wed (2/27)
  22. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Wow, finally had some for the first time last night. Very impressed. I fucking love Great Lakes.
    Lipsntoes and Eastside151 like this.
  23. I picked up a bottle at Steve's liquor on University yesterday.
  24. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Grabbed a pack of this the other day. Loved it, fantastic stuff.
    Eastside151 and redrocker like this.
  25. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

I agree for the most part on liking the unbalanced extremely hopped IPAs, but I can't say I've ever hated an IPA due to it being balanced. Isn't that a little harsh? I know it's open to interpretation but an American IPA style beer always should have a slight malt backbone. Otherwise it will taste like a vegetable boozy mess after a month.

From what I understand, DIPAs should have less of a malty backbone and more abrasive hoppy bitterness.

Anyway, I just found it funny that someone would "hate" a brew for being too balanced. I can think of plenty of beers I hate, and none of them are balanced IPAs.

Back to topic, it has been nice to enjoy the flavor ride on the Alchemy so far. The intense tropical pineapple and mango flavors have already disappeared from this beer. Now it is more of a citrusy grapefruit pine bomb. The honey came out better when this beer was super fresh, making the perceived sweetness pretty intense. When I have revisted this beer a second, third, fourth time, it has seemed less sweet to me each time (though still fairly sweet for a DIPA, I think I calculated the final gravity of this is roughly 1.020 based on the plato they list on their website). I still think Alchemy is awesome either way.
    Eastside151 likes this.
  26. miketd

"Hate" is a word I don't use much, especially when it comes to beer. So, yea, it was a bit hyperbolic. What I meant was, when most people think an IPA is "balanced", I will think it's malty.

Double IPAs do tend to have less malt backbone, but I like fewer of them because they are too often under attenuated and sweet/boozy. It's a hard style to nail, but when they are good(Hop Juju, Enjoy By, Pliny, etc.) I can't get enough.
    Bonis likes this.
  27. mtskier

mtskier Savant (255) Illinois Feb 23, 2013

Thanks, was in the neighborhood today and grabbed a 4 pack. Much appreciated.
  28. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

It's no Lake Erie Monster...
    Lipsntoes and beercanman like this.
  29. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

That's ChiTown...here in C-Town picked my 4 up for $9.99. Great stuff & not like Commodore Perry or Lake Erie Monster are slouches in the least. Abv is very well hidden in this, in fact I dare say I could have 2 or 3 in an evening.
  30. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Had it at the brewpub yesterday and liked it, but didn't love it. Solid hop profile though!