1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Great Lakes Brewing Co. Releases Chillwave Double IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

CLEVELAND, OH (February 2013) - Get stoked! Great Lakes Brewing Company® (GLBC) is prepped to release their February Seasonal, Chillwave Double IPA.

Name Origin: Great Lakes surfers work hard for their thrills. They wake before dawn, listening to the weather report like school kids hoping for a snow day. If the waves are worthy, they ride. No matter the cold, no matter the season, no matter the frozen crystals gathering in their beards, or the wind-whipping, white knuckle conditions they must face.
    To these chill rust belt surf dudes, it’s all good. Yeah, it sounds a little crazy, but we didn’t craft our Double IPA for the faint of heart. With a flash of Mosaic hops and a kiss of honey malt, it’s a rush in a bottle. Ride our Chillwave. Then go out and find your own.

Flavor: Hop forward with a balanced blend of Mosaic and Nugget Hops.

Vitals: ABV: 9.4%; ABW: 7.5%; IBU: 80

Packaging: 4-Pack, 1/6 BBL, ½ BBL

Release Details:

February 17: Chillwave Double IPA Pre-Release Party at GLBC (Ticketed event; draft only)
    February 20: Chillwave Double IPA on tap at the GLBC Brewpub (11:30 AM)
    February 21: Chillwave Double IPA bottles on sale in the GLBC Gift Shop (5:00 PM)
    February 24: Chillwave Double IPA on sale in GLBC’s Distribution Markets

Great Lakes Brewing Company®, which is comprised of a Brewery and Brewpub, was founded in 1988 by brothers Patrick and Daniel Conway as the first microbrewery in the state of Ohio and today remains Ohio’s most celebrated and award-winning brewer of lagers and ales. For more information visit greatlakesbrewing.com.

###
  2. Yes! I have been anticipating this since last spring!
  3. I just realized this was called Alchemy Hour last spring. This is an excellent brew that flew off the shelves and was gone, hopefully there will be more this year.
  4. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Savant (370) Ohio Mar 3, 2013

Awesome ! Been looking forward to it since I finished my last bottle last spring. It's a great time to be a Buckeye !
    JDD419 likes this.
  5. Not much to be excited about - so much "old" GL product that just sits on shelves here in WI & in IL
  6. Not going to argue this, but that doesn't mean that don't make incredibly solid beers. Alchemy Hour, Lake Erie Monster, Blackout Stout doesn't stay on the shelves like dortmunder, edmund, commadore, etc.
  7. o_O Trolling?

Alchemy Hour/Chillwave is one of the best IIPA's in the country...so I'd say there's quite a bit to be excited about.
  8. I (and a lot of other people apparently) absolutely love ed fitz. Its the only one of their beers in the 250 and truthfully its the ONE GL core product that doesnt sit around here.
    turbotype and jcos like this.
  9. True, their beers to some may appear to be shelf turds. They are a solid brewery and I'd suggest you try this one before you dismiss it, because it is definitely worth seeking out.
    choicegrinds likes this.
  10. jampics2

jampics2 Advocate (710) Ohio Dec 19, 2008

laglocal likes this.
  11. Matthew1788

Matthew1788 Savant (440) Ohio Feb 23, 2013

God I drank my weight in this stuff last year.
    deadonhisfeet likes this.
  12. Storm21

Storm21 Savant (355) Ohio Oct 15, 2013

Great Lakes Brewing Co. makes fantastic beers, I definitely will have to pick this up.
  13. Ha! Hadn't noticed. The Bros rank it higher than Sucks, and it's 2 points less than Sucks according to us plebeians. Which is a travesty considering Chillwave is a much better beer.
  14. reyna311

reyna311 Savant (255) Delaware Jun 19, 2012

Has anyone seen this floating around the Philadelphia market yet?
  15. Alchemy Hour (now Chill Wave) destroys Sucks, not even close. It is a damn fine DIPA.
  16. Beercanman1

Beercanman1 Aficionado (215) Ohio Feb 16, 2014

Just as good as last year
  17. SpartyJoe

SpartyJoe Savant (270) Ohio Nov 30, 2013

Enjoyed some at the GLBC cellar last weekend. Excellent IPA. I highly recommend it.
  18. I saw it at a local store near me in the Chicago suburbs last night. They were putting up stock on the shelves from their Wednesday shipment.
  19. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Savant (325) Ohio Apr 29, 2013

Have you even had the beer?
    jcos and Matthew1788 like this.
  20. I'm also looking forward to this. When this first came out (was it only last year or the year before?), it snuck up on all of us. A IIPA from GL released right on the heels of Hopslam? All right. I guess I might as well try it...

Indeed! It turned out to be one of the best beers of the year!
    skinsfan likes this.
  21. Burning River
    Commodore Perry
    Edmund Fitzgerald
    Conway's
    Nosferatu
    Rye of the Tiger
    Lake Erie Monster

All unremarkable or noteworthy - all styles available elsewhere that I feel are superior to GL
  22. In Ohio, Fat Heads is superior to anything Great Lakes is doing. I also think Columbus IPA is a great product
    Kadonny likes this.
  23. Edmund Fitz is a great beer, Alchemy Hour was amazing and it wasn't only me who thought so. Not sure why they discontinued a top 50 beer.
  24. They didn't discontinue it, it's now called Chill Wave.
  25. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Savant (325) Ohio Apr 29, 2013

So you haven't had it, then?

I didn't realize we were discussing the merits of Great Lakes beers in relation to those from other breweries, I was under the impression we were talking about Chillwave.

Huh, my mistake.

That said, Fat Heads certainly doesn't make a better porter, red ale or lager than Great Lakes - they have the edge in hops for sure, but across the board? Not a chance.
  26. Nosferatu and Rye of the Tiger are outstanding, as is their Christmas Ale.
  27. BlakeAM

BlakeAM Aficionado (220) Illinois Nov 6, 2011

is it safe to assume the best by date on this one is 3 months out? Mine says 5/13/14
  28. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Yep.. this has a 90 day shelf life according to GLBC..
  29. Can't wait for it to hit MN.
    This was the biggest surprise kick ass beer for me last year.
  30. JMN44

JMN44 Aficionado (125) Minnesota Sep 19, 2013

Chill Wave is available in the Twin Cities already.
    lonewolfcry likes this.
  31. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Available in Madison today.
  32. Syked to be getting some in a trade :)
  33. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Anyone else feel it's not the same as last year? I hate to be "that guy", but this doesn't feel like the beer I raved about.. the aromas and flavors seem different. I'm not picking up that overwhelming mango and peach.. it's still good, but not the magical experience I've been fiending for all year.. just sayin..
    Jaycase likes this.
  34. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Advocate (525) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

Me for one. However, I've had roughly 6 bottles so far and It seems to get better with each bottle, my first bottle I thought was downright boozy and sweet and I've never had an IIPA I thought was boozy. I'm thinking this one actually might be better with more age on it maybe month 1/2 possibly two. The more I drink of it the more it is reminding me of the astounding IIPA I remember.
  35. I feel the same way. Just had a few this past week and thought it was pretty 'mehtastic'. I found it to be a bit boozy and it really tailed off as it warmed. I can never tell if it's me changing or the beer though. It's still a solid offering from GL and worth a try, but it falls a little short for me this year.

I've also been drinking a bunch of JuJu lately, which is by far superior so not sure if that has anything to do with it...psychologically speaking of course :eek:
  36. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

I agree with you. Didn't want to be the first one to mention it. In my opinion, the honey is much stronger this year.
  37. Josbor11

Josbor11 Savant (360) Ohio Dec 21, 2013

I also second the notion that this is not as good as I remember it being when it was Alchemy Hour.
  38. I'll be the first to say that I don't find there to be much difference in this year's version compared to last year's version.
  39. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

This IS Alchemy Hour.
  40. I will echo that I was a bit disappointed when I tried my first one this year. Not what I remembered this being last year. Agree that there is plenty of honey but the hop flavor isn't as dynamic as what I recall. Still a very good beer and worth getting, but last year's version was one of the very best IIPA's to come in small format, in my opinion. It will be interesting to taste this against Lake Erie Monster this year when it comes out. Last year I surprisingly preferred AH to LEM even though the LEM was fresher, but that might not be the case this year.