1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Great Lakes Brewing Co. Releases Chillwave Double IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Feb 17, 2014.

1. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Yeah I've been meaning to make it over there for some time now, but it's pretty much on the opposite side of the state. One day soon! Heard nothing but great things.

2. ceeg

ceeg Aficionado (185) New York Dec 16, 2010

I really wanna try this beer! Tho I really hate the name Chillwave, sounds like a lame music genre or something.

CassinoNorth likes this.
  3. Soneast

Soneast Advocate (500) Wisconsin May 9, 2008

Didn't have any Alchemy Hour last year, but tried some Chillwave last weekend. Personally I thought it was great! Of course I didn't have any previous expectations, and usually that is a good thing.

SpartyJoe likes this.
  4. SpartyJoe

SpartyJoe Savant (355) Ohio Nov 30, 2013

This is a very good beer. And for those that dismiss GLBC, get your head out of your arse. They have a solid lineup and some real standouts (LEM, BA Blackout, Fitzgerald, Chillwave, not to mention the top-notch pub exclusives). Haters gon' hate.

Fargrow, Boca-X, dedbeer and 3 others like this.
  5. I never had Alchemy Hour but I just had Chillwave on-tap and it is a fantastic DIPA IMO. Had that wonderful fruity/spicy/grassy thing going on with just enough malt balance and a well concealed ABV. Still not quite as good as Hop, Drop 'n Roll but, ya know :rolleyes:

5thOhio and Soneast like this.
  6. JDD419

JDD419 Savant (390) Ohio Apr 14, 2013

I thought this beer was great. I bought a 4 pack and will buy more.
    I think some had a high expectation and if you have been drinking sucks, DirtWolf, and hop juju lately you will be a little disappointed because it won't outclass those beers. It defiantly is in the class of those beers though (no hop juju for me because of working in Lansing mi everyday).

7. nyyfanatic213

nyyfanatic213 Savant (390) New York Aug 24, 2011

The Hype Machine strikes again!! Not nearly as good as Victory's recent offerings

8. JDD419

JDD419 Savant (390) Ohio Apr 14, 2013

I would take it over DirtWolf and hop ranch. I have brand loyalty to GL though as a homer

9. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I personally am not crazy about Chillwave, this year or last year, but to say it's getting praise because of the hype machine is laughable. If it was a beer from Cigar City, Three Floyds or that esoteric nirvana in Vermont, I would agree. But a hyped beer from Great Lakes? No. GL makes very good beer, but they are not a brewery beer nerds are hyping, ever. Maybe it is a beer people enjoy, even though it isn't brewed at one of the breweries of the moment.

10. dedbeer

dedbeer Savant (345) Illinois Jun 23, 2013

They're easily one of the top ten Midwest breweries. And they don't have to use hype and rarity to get that distinction. But like you said, haters gonna hater.

SpartyJoe and miketd like this.
  11. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Savant (405) Ohio Mar 3, 2013

Dang ! I should have chimed in again after I had my second bottle from my 4 pack. Now I just seem like a johny come lately . . . But, I did think my second one was better than my first. Who knows why exactly. Love Great Lakes. Still respect the Chillwave. Great brew. Keep up the good work guys.

12. Same thing happened to me. I liked the 2nd bottle much better than the first. And no, I didn't drink them one after the other. I drank them on successive nights.

13. Just got a Chillwave sent to me as an extra in a trade, pretty excited to try it.

14. It came and left pretty quickly here in WNY. Wish I could have grabbed one in time.

15. GOBLIN

Ha Ha . . . Same here, I had my 2nd bottle a few days later.

16. WV actually just got this, pretty excited.

17. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Advocate (535) Michigan Sep 1, 2013

Lots of Mosaic hop beers these days.

18. Christopper

Christopper Savant (255) New York Nov 14, 2012

It is better than Hopslam. My opinion only. I also agree that it is not the beer it used to be. Tasty. Just not the same.

spitshaded likes this.
  19. I love how everyone just assumes the beer will be the same beer year after year, especially with something they only brew once per year. It's possible, even if GL says otherwise, that the recipe is different or it tastes different. Think about Lake Erie Monster. The last two years, that beer has been a boozy malty mess! In the past, it was fantastic. It has yet to get to Pittsburgh, but suffice it to say, I am only buying a 4 pack based on your comments. Thanks guys!

20. nyyfanatic213

nyyfanatic213 Savant (390) New York Aug 24, 2011

I love practically everything that Great Lakes makes, Chillwave is pretty good. I just happen to think (as others have mentioned) that there is an overwhelming number of Mosaic-hopped beers on the market presently. It's one of the the in-vogue hops right now. GL played a role in making that happen with Alchemy Hour. Its success set the stage for the 2XOnes, Hop Ranches, and the like in the recent months. The success of those beers, along with the name change generated a ton of hype within the BA community. Comparing brews is one of the things we all enjoy doing after all. My expectations were set relatively high, but my tastebuds did not deliver.

21. GOBLIN

I know beers can change a bit over time and also be a bit different just year to year. Especially "craft beers." And I'm sure there are many factors that cause this. Of course they are way more complex than the everyday bmc. But maybe we sometimes expect them to always be the same because of all those years of drinking bmc. Think about it, I've popped the top on hundreds of Budweisers and I could never tell a difference between one can and that can. Even though I should know better by now, maybe I'm just conditioned to think that way. That is that every bottle/can should never change. Brewing as I understand it is a craft after all

22. This is the post I was ready to write. Well said. Alchemy hour was my first mosaic hop forward brew so it was different at the time. Got some real fresh on tap last year at a local hangout without knowing anything about it. After four pints (they served them in 16oz pints - probably not realizing the potency), I learned about the insane drinkability of this 9+% offering. Since then, I have enjoyed quite a few mosaic hop brews. This is probably why this year's Chillwave is not so special. They didn't change, the competition is getting better (and more crowded). I live within walking distance of Fat Heads so enjoy the fresh Hop Juju and Headhunter (tap and cask every once in a while). They also have a mosaic hop offering called IBUsive on tap. Tastes like chillwave with a little more character, while over a percent less ABV.

I experienced the same with hopslam - used to travel to Toledo to pick up cases (availability without the bottle deposit) when it came out. Now that there are so many players in the 2xIPA market, hopslam isn't quite as special. Good for a few sixers, but fighting for fridge space with sucks, hop ranch, 2xIPA1, hop juju, enjoy by, and even some chillwave.

surfcaster and nyyfanatic213 like this.
  23. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Well, I still don't see it as hype. It was a beer many liked and some buzz was created as a result, but that's different. Can a beer even be hyped when it's so available? People can go to a store, buy a single bottle or pint and decide for themselves... can't do that with the truly hyped beers from the breweries mentioned earlier. And for what it's worth, Chillwave(and most other ipas on the planet) is not in the same class as IBUsive.

24. I live in the Southern Tier of New York (Corning area) and I have seen none here so far. Definitely want to try this one.

25. spitshaded

spitshaded Savant (345) Virginia Nov 12, 2012

I loved the hell out of Alchemy Hour last year & have been anxiously awaiting it's return. I picked up a 4-pack last night & had my first Chillwave tonight... I hate to agree, but it isn't the same to me. It's still quite good, but not the beer that made me say "wow" out loud when I took my first sip last year (seems much maltier/sweeter). I hope the comments about it getting better after the first bottle are true.

caponeduke and Jaycase like this.
  26. How limited is it? I have only seen one single bottle so far.

Chillwave > Hop Ranch

27. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

Its their spring seasonal. It shouldn't be rare if you live within the Great Lakes footprint.

28. Really solid effort--again.

Hopslam, Dirtwolf, Chillwave and one Sucks in the fridge. Love spring.

29. Mineo

Mineo Savant (370) New Jersey Jul 7, 2010

this is solid. I love the soft peach notes.

30. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Advocate (535) Michigan Sep 1, 2013

I'm not the biggest Mosaic fan but I'm really liking this one. I think the Nugget and honey malt are matched perfectly with the Mosaic and it has a nice level of sweetness. I like this one better than Dirt Wolf, Hop Ranch, and 2xONE.

Mineo likes this.
  31. Troville1990

Troville1990 Savant (375) Illinois Jan 17, 2012

Drinking my first Chillwave as we speak. All I can say is that if people are disappointed in this one because it failed to live up to the standard set by Alchemy Hour, then Alchemy Hour must have been absolutely mindblowing. I'm finding Chillwave to be pretty damn great.

glass_house likes this.