1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Great Lakes Brewing Company 2013 Lineup

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by ianranderson, Nov 5, 2012.

1. ianranderson

ianranderson Aficionado (125) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

sacrelicio likes this.
  2. I had Rye of he tiger at the brewery awhile back! Can't wait!!!

3. Could it be true?? GLBC is making hoppy beers???

Yeah!!! I'm sure they will be well balanced, though....with a malty backbone ;)

ABisonEgo likes this.
  4. Geno78

Geno78 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 1, 2010

Nice! Very excited to try both.

5. I had it on tap, and I would buy a ton of bottles. and by it, I mean Rye of the Tiger.

6. mmmm, Rye of the Tiger in bottles....can't wait!

7. Wonder if there will be any BA Blackout?!

8. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (815) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I hope the Alchemy Hour Double IPA is a change of pace for GLBC. I saw this the other day and was pleasantly surprised by them trying a "west coast" attempt. And Rye of the Tiger is an awesome beer..

9. Rye of the Tiger is amazing on tap. Would love to see this bottled.

10. Sneers

Sneers Savant (420) Pennsylvania Dec 27, 2009

Really glad to see they'll both be out before I have to move home to NJ. I'll definitely be picking these up.

11. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (825) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I will be hoarding all the Rye of the Tiger I can find. Possibly the best rye I've ever had, hope it's just as good in the bottles!

12. so was Quitness when it came out. so much juicy fruit.

13. siege06nd

siege06nd Advocate (580) Virginia Dec 29, 2009

Sad to see Holy Moses and Doppelrock go, but am pumped to see these intriguing IPAs making a bottling appearance.

Rumors abounded at the BA Blackout release in January that GLBC would possibly distribute it this year. Anyone heard anything further? Planning on attending the party this year either way.

14. BB1313

Yeah that's a good one too. It's now called Hop Madness.

15. the name changed, but the beer didnt. It was great as Quitness, and its still great as Hop Madness. Stupid LeBron.

16. BB1313

Yeah they had to eventually change the name I guess if they were going to continue to brew the beer. The LeBron bashing got old, but still fuck him. Now I think they just incorporate it with NCAA March Madness..

17. I almost bought a growler when I was up there for opening day, but it was $25 for just the beer.

18. BB1313

Yeah their growler fills can get pricey..

19. yea that growler of Independance Ale and LEM was worth it tho.

20. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (265) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

rye the tiger is the shit. i had it on tap this summer, man i cant wait to get way too many six packs of that

21. Pdiddey3d

Pdiddey3d Initiate (0) New York May 3, 2009

Rye of the Tiger is one of the best Rye IPAs I've ever had. Popped up randomly on draft from time to time and I always made it a point to grab some when it did. Great stuff.

trxxpaxxs likes this.
  22. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (360) New York Dec 5, 2010

Rye of the Tiger is legit....that would be a great addition to their bottle line up....but where in the hell is Glockenspiel???

superspak and headbucket like this.
  23. Sneers

For what's it's worth, I asked about that once, and they said the growler prices are "designed" to be a good deal if you and a couple of friends plan to share a few pints at the pub, (presumably) rather than being an economical way of taking beer home.

24. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Savant (405) Ohio Mar 19, 2011

Rye of the Tiger is one of my favorite GLBC beers, glad to see it is being bottled. Too bad they dropped Holy Moses though, what a great witbier for the summer.

25. miketd

miketd Advocate (520) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I'm not sure I follow this statement and I haven't even had a beer yet tonight.

I only buy Great Lakes' Growlers at Whole Foods, Heinen's, and other places they are 1/2 off from the pub. It is crazy to me that I can get a growler of Noseferatu for $10-12 at Whole foods and they charge $20 at Great lakes.

I'm on the fence about Rye of The Tiger being bottled, but I guess we will see if they can keep it as good in the bottle; I've never liked any GLBC beer better from the bottle.

26. I would rather them have dropped Wright Pils, honestly. It just doesnt do it for me (but thats probably more a style bias than a quality thing). I would take a Holy Moses over a Wright Pils every day of the week.

27. BB1313

I think he meant buying a growler of their year-round lineup beers to drink at the pub would be cheaper than buying pint after pint. But I agree totally about getting a fill at Whole Foods.. I was cleaning up on Rye of the Tiger over the summer at $9.99 a fill, which is $15 cheaper than a fill at the brewpub. It's crazy. But I cut GLBC some slack since their beers are very reasonably priced in stores.

28. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (360) New York Dec 5, 2010

Dont forget though when Great Lakes dropped Holy Moses for Grassroots Ale and the masses demanded Holy Moses back....plus Grassroots wasnt that good, especially to replace Holy Moses.

29. miketd

Really? I have never seen someone drinking from a growler AT the bar.

The problem I have with it is that the growler fills are way more expensive than the bottles. Anyone that fills a growler with any standard release at Great Lakes is being foolish and GL is taking them to the cleaners.

30. Sneers

Yeah. Sorry if I didn't phrase that well.

31. I cant stand the price of a growler of a pub exclusive. Its crazy to think that Im covering the distribution cost (ive had this argument before on here). I just want to enjoy their beer and not have to pay out the ass. I mean I do that at Walmart, Kroger, and local bottle shops (pay a reasonable amount-even here in NC).

miketd likes this.
  32. BB1313

I don't know if I have either, but I guess it's just like ordering a pitcher if you're with a few people.

33. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

To those that have had both; how does ROTT compare to Founders Reds?

34. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Savant (405) Ohio Mar 19, 2011

I agree 100%, the Wright Pils is one of few GLBC beers I don't care for and I actually like pilsners a lot.

35. miketd

I like Rye of The Tiger more, but they are both really good.

36. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Thanks! I'll give it a try when I see it!

37. yea I had it when they released it at the brewpub and was really underwhelmed. It has its place on a super hot summer day, but ill still take it over a SN Summerfest.

38. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Love Great Lakes. Please come to Iowa!!! :)

39. I was wondering the same thing. If it's as good as Founders Rye I would be extremely pleased.

Brunite likes this.
  40. Awesome news. I thought Rye of the Tiger was going to be replacing DoppelRock as the Spring seasonal in 4-packs, so I am happy that it will be packaged in sixers instead. GLBC track record is kinda weak on IPAs, but I'm still looking forward to both.