1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Great Lakes Recommendations

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by seakayak, Dec 20, 2012.

1. seakayak

seakayak Savant (355) Massachusetts May 20, 2007

Anyone familiar with the variety of Great Lakes flavors have some must-try recommendations?
    I'm traveling to Ohio where they'll have a wide selection, and want to pick up a few to bring back.
  2. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Savant (455) Ohio Jan 9, 2009

depends on what you like. Check reviews. Personally, my favorite is Edmund Fitzgerald, so for me, that's a must-try. A lot of people like the Christmas Ale which you should be able to find. They have a mixed 12 pack that's worth picking up
    Tilley4 and seakayak like this.
  3. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Yes. Im from CLE and have been drinking GLBCs since it was legal for me to do so. My recommendations, based on what is available right now would be Christmas Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald, and Blackout Stout. If you need ideas on bottle shops or other breweries, lemme know.

cheers
    jbck109, WagonCircler and seakayak like this.
  4. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

I enjoy pretty much all their beers, but right now their Christmas Ale and Blackout Stout are currently their seasonals and are both great beers. And it would be hard not to bring back some Edmund Fitz Porter with you as well, which is one of my favorite porters. Enjoy!
    seakayak likes this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Dortmunder Gold is stellar, Burning River is also great. Blackout stout. All the beers they make are all very good.
    seakayak likes this.
  6. seakayak

Thanks - I've only tried Burning River and loved it. I tend to like strong pale ales, dark ales, porters, and stouts.
  7. I haven't had too much experience with them. Went to the brewpub last year though and have been trying more stuff since. Nothing has really blown me away, however, their Blackout Stout has been my favorite. All their stuff is solid though. Just look here: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73

With that being said, I dk where your going/what Columbus Brewing's distro range is, but look for their IPA. It'd really be a shame if you passed that up.
    Tilley4 and seakayak like this.
  8. seakayak

Youngstown! There's big shop on the west side I plan to check out. Thanks!
  9. Blackout Stout & Edmund Fitzgerald for sure.
    5thOhio, Tilley4 and seakayak like this.
  10. Stinger80OH

I was just at the brewpub over the weekend and had their Abbey Ave Dubbel which is one of their brewpub-only options. Def worth a stop by.
    seakayak likes this.
  11. I like Commodore Perry,Edmund Fitzgerald both very good.
    seakayak likes this.
  12. Blackout Stout is a must try.
    seakayak likes this.
  13. i really love the edmund fitzgerald so smooth roasty chocolatey and
    if you can find the barrel aged blackout stout but if you cant just the regular blackout stout
    these are a must for stout/porter fanatics
    seakayak likes this.
  14. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Their mixed 12 pack has Dortmunder Gold, Edmund Fitzgerald, Burning River, and Eliot Ness. For the quality of beer in that, probably the best mix pack you can get.
    tkarsies, BB1313, morganmcd and 3 others like this.
  15. Stinger80OH

Just FYI, BABS isn't available until next month so don't try looking for it.
    seakayak likes this.
  16. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Blackout Stout and Christmas Ale are my favorites.

Don't really get the love for Edmund Fitzgerald. I don't care much for it at all.
    Jaycase and seakayak like this.
  17. I have tried several GL beers this year and think they are consistently good/excellent, with Edmund Fitzgerald being my favorite, given my bias towards porters. In addition to those mentioned above, Eliot Ness is quite enjoyable too.
    seakayak likes this.
  18. goalie33

goalie33 Savant (330) New York Dec 3, 2009

Edmund Fitzgerald is a great porter, and this time of year you should also be able to find blackout stout, which is a really good one.
    seakayak likes this.
  19. Are you wanting to get stuff just from Great Lakes Brewing, or are you referring to beers from the Great Lakes region? There are tons of good beers that can be suggested on a region-wide basis. If that's what you want, what are your favorite styles?
    seakayak likes this.
  20. seakayak

Sure, I meant GLBC, but I'd like any recommendation I can get in Ohio that's not available in Massachusetts.
    I like strong pale ales, dark ales, porters, and stouts, but I'm interested in trying anything outstanding. Thanks!
  21. WotanMitUns

WotanMitUns Aficionado (120) Alaska Dec 20, 2012

Ed Fitz and Elliot Ness were both fantastic for me. Especially the latter because lagers aren't typically my thing. Blackout stout is good, but a lot of stouts in the same price range are just as good if not better for me.
    seakayak likes this.
  22. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

My personal favorite GLBC is Eliot Ness.

You should also be able to find Bells.
    seakayak likes this.
  23. Blackout definitely.

Also, a lot of people aren't impressed with Commodore Perry since it's not a giant hop bomb, but it's a great example of a well-balanced English IPA, spot on for the style.

Pick up some Brewkettle offerings if you can find them. Anything bottled by them is pretty good.
    seakayak likes this.
  24. seakayak

That's great, I'll definitely look for them. I've read all the raves but never tried one.
  25. I'm mostly familiar with Michigan beers to make recommendations, so a very easy-to-find beer that you'll certainly enjoy is Bell's Two Hearted IPA. It is a must-try for you. You could get lucky and find some Hopslam, also from Bell's, but it gets released in January, so your timing may not be right for it.

Anything that you see from Bell's, Founders, Dark Horse that is a style to your liking is a safe bet to purchase. If you see Arcadia's Shipwreck Porter (and if you like bourbon barrel aged beers) that is a great one to get too.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers.
    seakayak likes this.
  26. fauxpunker

fauxpunker Aficionado (165) Nov 23, 2012

Definitely Edmund Fitzgerald without a doubt. Blackout and Burning River are very much worth a go. Dortmunder Gold isn't too shabby either.
    seakayak likes this.
  27. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Edmund Fitzgerald is their best offering, followed closely by Blackout.
    The Christmas ale was disappointing this year.
    I also enjoyed the Lake Erie Monster. Had a few others (Dortmunder, Nosferatu, Burning River). All not bad.
    fauxpunker and seakayak like this.
  28. david23

david23 Savant (260) New York Feb 27, 2004

Start with the Dortmunder and don't stop till you've had them all.
  29. fauxpunker

fauxpunker Aficionado (165) Nov 23, 2012

Agreed. Pretty let down by it.
    beercanman, haruspexvic and seakayak like this.
  30. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (250) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

everything I would suggest has already been mentioned, but keep your eye out for Rye of the Tiger which will be bottled early next year. Delicious.
    seakayak likes this.
  31. I would recommend trying to get to their Cleveland location and try everything on tap. Everything in a bottle is very good. Their beer on draft at the brewery is fantastic. I believe they have to two production sites. One for distribution and one at the bar for bar consumption only.
    seakayak likes this.
  32. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Conways Irish Ale is their January release. If that is available when you are traveling, it one of my favorites from them!
    seakayak likes this.
  33. Edmund Fitzgerald definitely, but I would also try the Wright Pils, one of the tastiest pilsners I've ever had. Nosferatu is very good as well.
    seakayak likes this.
  34. I have enjoyed every beer I've had from GL, but this time if year it's all about Blackout Stout!
    seakayak likes this.
  35. cneville

cneville Initiate (0) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

It'll be tough to find Nosferatu, Wright Pils, and Monster--they're all seasonal, and won't be any good even if they're on shelves. When are you coming OP? And I'd definitely go with Blackout Stout and Eliot Ness.
    5thOhio and seakayak like this.
  36. seakayak

Be there Christmas week - thanks for the heads-up on those seasonals!
  37. cneville

cneville Initiate (0) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

Then Blackout and Christmas Ale are going to be your only seasonals. Cleveland's got more to offer, too--Headhunter and White Rajah come to mind, and Hoppin' Frog (though they might distro to you) has some good offerings along with mediocre, overpriced ones.
    seakayak likes this.
  38. MaxOhle

MaxOhle Savant (345) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Dortmunder Gold is a must, and is their best seller. Their Christmas one is seasonal, yet pretty good, and so is their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.
    seakayak likes this.
  39. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

If you haven't heard check Seekabrew.com to compare what is available from your home state.
    As for Great Lakes, I would just go with what you like but recommend (as others already have) Edmund Fitz, Xmas Ale, Blackout, Nosferatu (in season), Dortmunder. Fat Head's which is nearby is another favorite of mine along with Hoppin' Frog & 12 dogs of Xmas is better IMHO than Great Lakes Xmas Ale this year. Where are you staying Eastside, Westside, or Downtown?
    seakayak likes this.
  40. seakayak

Hadn't heard of the SeekaBrew site - great recommendation! Staying on the westside - I know there's a big state store on Meridian Rd, so plan to try that.