1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Great on tap, undrinkable in the bottle?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dmnielsen, Feb 23, 2013.

1. This^^^

I don't buy Port bottles anymore but love when I find it on tap.

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  2. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (600) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

The problem, especially with small breweries, is often technological. If a small brewery cannot afford a fancy bottling line they will often have cheaper bottling lines with a lot of manual involvement. A lot of small breweries that bottle 22 oz. bottles, for instance, use 4 row bottlers that require a person to use a device to shoot CO2 into the bottle, to ove the bottle over (exposing it to oxygen) and to place it onto the machine, which has a precarious sealing mechanism. Then, the brewer has to try to cap on foam so some small brewers will place the bottle under a bench capper (hand one) and then tap the base of the bottle with a screwdriver handle or something until the bottle foams. then they try to cap on the foam, which hopefully, has pushed all of the CO2 out. While this won't necessarily change the substantive nature of the beer, when you introduce oxygen, and dust, and other external elements the beer may be exposed to, you won't have the same product consistently.

Kegging is much easier to do with cheap equipment and doesn't have any oxygen exposure issues due to the pressurized nature of the keg. It will often be done in the cold box too, instead of on the floor, so there is no risk of the beer warming as it travels through tap-like lines and thus losing some CO2 with the rising temperature.

The part about the brewery using different hops is a whole different type of problem and would be a surprisingly stupid thing to do IMO.

3. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Damn near anything in a green bottle...except Yuengling for me oddly enough, which is fine in green.

4. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

I don't buy bottles/cans of any beer I regularly enjoy on draft. Bottles/cans are saved for beers I can't get on draft.

5. The servers or bartenders who are knowledgeable about the beers of a brewpub are usually right. The bottled version may not have been undrinkable (that's a subjective thing) but you should heed their warning. I was once in a small brewpub and I ordered the only beer that they brewed, and the server told me that it was not very good, and that I could have a sample if I chose before ordering a pint. I sampled it, and it was a bad beer. Suffice to say, that brewery is no longer brewing beer, but the place is still open as a restaurant with a good variety of bottled offerings.

6. Boy, you guys really throw around the term "Undrinkable"

mpayne5 likes this.
  7. jk3

jk3 Savant (345) New York Nov 18, 2011

Heineken

8. Fullers London Pride is great from the bottle, meh on cask. It can happen the other way around as well.

9. 7ate9

7ate9 Savant (265) Virginia Apr 26, 2007

terrapin spike and jeromes collab.
    The bottle was a terrible, sour, bitter, flat, oily abomination.
    The tap version was a pretty decent barrel aged rye wine.

10. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

which bottle did you have as there are 2 versions: short/stubby is from BFM, the bomber is from Terrapin. they are completely different brews...

11. Roudy

Roudy Savant (295) Georgia Aug 20, 2009

Sculpin at the Ballast Point facility = awesome

Bombers of it I've bought at the Ballast Point facility = awesome

When I visit my daughter at college, the Total Wine in Winston-Salem has Sculpin, but I invariably find one bottle type (usually 12 oz) that has plenty of months left on the "drink by" date, while other sizes (usually bombers) are at or past their drink by dates. I won't even try Sculpin that's past its prime.

12. 7ate9

7ate9 Savant (265) Virginia Apr 26, 2007

I see! The bottle I had was the short, stubby flip-top bottle. The tap version must have been the one brewed at terrapin, which was much better.

13. I find most beers to be better on tap,just somewhat not a lot.

14. Radeberger - divine when served on tap, in the bottle, it is a shadow of its tap excellence

15. Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. "Undrinkable" may be a bit harsh, but it's damn tasty on tap and pretty mediocre bottled.