1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Great pilsner taste, triple hops brewed."

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by psnydez86, Jan 29, 2013.

1. So after having a few good local/homemade brews with a buddy I find myself extending my buzz with Miller Lite left over from a new years party. My thread subject is word for word what the miller lite label says. I get no grainy pilsner malt flavor, and absoulutely no hops. Is BMC that outta touch or do they choose to use "pilsner" and "hops" as obvious beer words to get the general public riled up? I'm sick of this false advertising and am interested to hear what beer lover's have to say.?
  2. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

BMC SUCKS. WALEZ BRO.

for a website focused on craft beer, BMC sure is the topic of a lot of conversation.

miller/inbev make money off the masses, mostly by increasing thier profit margins in a variety on ways. Cutting corners like this is just one example
    Errto and misterid like this.
  3. It's all truth but marketing is an amazing thing.
  4. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

The rice and or corn adjunct ratio probably eclipses the pils malt, that and Joe sixpack doesn't care enough to warrant the need to risk profits from the potential loss of clientele over changing the recipe to adhere to style guidelines. Its all about marketing and sales brotherman, thats why Walmart and McDonalds do so well.
    MilkManX likes this.
  5. I'm pretty sure this site is focused on beer in general. Threads like this do pop up from time to time from new members but it's a good realization the OP is coming to.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  6. DStoked

DStoked Savant (320) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

Misleading advertising? I don't know man, sounds like it would be a first.
  7. There is pilsner malt most likely. But remember it is an adjunct lager, so around 30% of the sugar used to make alcohol in that beer is from most likely corn syrup. Im sure hops go into the brew at three separate times, as to be truthful in advertising. But those just have to be hops, it doesnt mean they have any aroma or bittering properties.

To get down to it, it is what most people in the US still drink, they make tons of money selling this beer. Is it world class no, but people on BA are a very very very tiny minority.

Cheers
    gir02021 likes this.
  8. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

On my local radio station they say "impress your friends with your great taste in beer" for the Miller light commercial.
    PABSTMASTER likes this.
  9. I thought it had great taste, andwas less filling. Then girls stripped each other and fought in a fountain.
  10. It's all gross and I have a shelf full for my friends that don't drink craft beer, other than that I would pour it down the drain.
  11. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Savant (440) Illinois May 30, 2005

Well the bottles do have a vortex and the cans have a punch top can. There's that. Maybe you had an unvortexed bottle or can without the punch top?
    copslovebeer and MaineMike like this.
  12. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

You're not a man if you don't drink Miller Light. Hand in your man card, sir.
    ESeab likes this.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I heard if you age miller it turns into a white barleywine.
  14. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

It's like in Madmen when they are trying to come up with a slogan for Lucky Strike. All cigarette tobacco is toasted, but the dumbass consumers have no idea, so the Lucky Strike slogan became "They're Toasted!". It may be "triple hop brewed", but when the average person has no idea what the fuck that means, it becomes marketing.
  15. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Exactly. The point of the Miller Lite advertising is to say that it has "more flavor" than the other light beers, and therefore is better than the other ones, just like Coors Light is "more drinkable" than the other light beers, and Bud Light is "more popular" than the other light beers. You've gotta have a marketing edge when you're selling products that are next to indistinguishable without their containers.
  16. My guess of the grain bill for Miller Lite:

60% neutral base malt (American 2-row)
    40% Corn Syrup

As regards triple hopping they very may well perform three hop additions:

· A little bit of hops at the beginning of boil to achieve an IBU of around 8-12 IBUs
    · Very little hops added near the end of boil for flavor
    · Very, very little hops added at the end of boil for aroma

It is ‘popular’ to bash beers like Miller Lite on BA forums since these beers are essentially bland and tasteless, but guess what? The majority of beer drinkers want a beer that is bland and tasteless and Miller Lite delivers in that regard.

Cheers!
    Bitterbill and scootsmal like this.
  17. You forgot to mention the multiple GABF awards Miller Lite has won. ;)
  18. Gee Whiz, I can't be expected to remember everything!?!:)
  19. Miller uses hop extract for at least the early additions. Tetrahop that does not skunk, and gives a long lasting head.
  20. If that's anything like white whiskey, then I'd rather drink my miller fresh.
  21. Certainly not everything, but I had assumed that award-winning U.S.-brewed pilsners were a specialty of yours...
  22. SeaOfShells

The Bruery's Run B.M.C. claims to be "Quadruple Hop Brewed", which is no doubt a jab at Miller.
  23. “Tetrahop that does not skunk, and gives a long lasting head.”

Jeff, it has to be over 20 years since I personally drank a Miller Lite. Does a Miller Lite really have a “long lasting head”? When I ‘witness’ AALs being poured on draft in pint glasses my memory is that they don’t develop a head at all (which I always attributed to the fact that too much adjunct is used in brewing the beers).

Cheers!
    Bitterbill likes this.
  24. I am forced to throw a flag here! 15 yards for taunting!;)
    herrburgess likes this.
  25. Just going from what Bamforth has said in his talks and stories.

Edit - I have not had it in a similar timeframe.
  26. RyFikes

RyFikes Savant (280) New York Jan 3, 2013

BMC cost break down per bottle of beer (if every beer cost a dollar):

33¢ Advertising,
    33¢ Packaging,
    33¢ Distributing,
    1¢ Ingredients/brewing process.

That should just about say it all.
  27. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

guess i don't get the obsession folks have with constantly putting down Miller/Bud/Coors, etc.

yes, most here don't like and won't drink it. we get it. we all understand that it's not "real" beer as we know it. we all know about their "false advertisement". we're all appalled that they claim to be the #1 beer in the world. blah blah blah

these threads should be locked ands/or deleted quicker than any off topic, non beer focused, too many smilies having posts/threads
  28. Hahaha! DAMN!
  29. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (255) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Don't get it wrong, mister, Bud Light is "drink ability" and Coors Light is "super cold."

So, obviously, very different beers. Most of the stuff in my fridge just can't get as cold as Coors Light.
  30. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

To be fair, it beats CL and BL, and that's their aim.
  31. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

In my book, bland and tasteless is >a bad tasting beer. And there are some stinkers out there that aren't brewed by the biggies.
    cavedave likes this.
  32. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I had one at the Old Chicago Saturday and the head of foam did not last long. But it was there when initially poured.
  33. SaisonDeath

SaisonDeath Aficionado (125) Jun 20, 2012

There's a video of someone making a black and tan with Miller Light and Kate The Great, but it's on the deep web so you might get in trouble if you watch it.
  34. Pff, if it isn't advertised as being colder than other beers, I ain't drinking it.

Valid comparison points ftw.
  35. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Introduce your friends to Sam Adams Noble Pils!

(claark13 approves of this message)
    claaark13 likes this.
  36. That was a disappointing beer.
  37. But that has flavor.

38. Lucky Strikes taste very different than other cigarettes though.
  39. SeaOfShells

I agree. It was just okay.
  40. But a stellar name! I'd buy it for the label alone.