1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Great Taste of the Midwest Ticket On-Sale

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Heading up to Madison this upcoming weekend from Chicago and will be waiting in line for tickets early Sunday morning along with other BAs, I presume.

Any preference as to where to go? I'm not entirely familiar with the location of some of the liquor stores where tickets will be going on sale, and don't want to be waiting in line in a not-so-great area early in the morning.

2. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (370) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

It's Madison. Just watch out for some drunk college kids and you should be fine. BTW I believe the Mifflin Street block party takes place on Saturday so that should make things interesting if you're near the university.

redblacks75 and jreaton618 like this.
  3. GonkDroid

GonkDroid Aficionado (140) Illinois Apr 30, 2011

Steve's on University is the place to be. It's right next to a Walgreens and a grocery store that has bathrooms. It's completely safe. I usually get there around 5am and I am always in the first ten or so people.

Hit up the Great Dane Fitchburg brunch buffet afterwards. I think it runs until 2 and it is the best.

4. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Star Liquor is definitely the most enjoyable experience, and a highly desirable location. Willy Street Coop has all sorts of killer food and coffee, lazy janes is just down the street and the Weary Traveller for lunch afterwards.

I've never waited anywhere else.

5. Lansman

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to it, hopefully the weather holds up- any sharing that typically takes place in line?

6. It is the most enjoyable experience, but you have never gone anywhere else? Something seems a bit off there.

7. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

I CAN POST AGAIN!!!!!

Breaking my hiatus by proposing a bottle share at a specific location that's selling, preferably Steve's

claaark13 likes this.
  8. xsists

xsists Aficionado (200) Wisconsin Dec 31, 2007

I was at Star last year and it was cold and windy. Enjoyable line though. I'll be at Tyranena this year as it is closer to Waukesha, only problem is no beer/alcohol allowed on premise.

9. Pretty excited for the trip up and to hang with the Madison crew Sunday morning.

10. Lansman

At risk for having the post deleted for not being in the right forum, Chicago BA here willing to engage in some trades while in line with Madison BAs. Just let me know if there is anything in particular you guys are looking for, and I'll bring it up!

11. jegross2

I live right near Steve's on university (I'm off of old university) so anyone who wants to stop by and hve a few ldrinks after or the night before...

Can't risk open container ticket violation in Madison", however

12. EROCK75

EROCK75 Savant (340) Illinois Aug 5, 2009

While you can't bring your own beer/alcohol with to enjoy in line, Tyranena does sell their beer by the glass and pitcher.

13. xsists

Correct, until midnight on Saturday and starting again at 9am Sunday morning.

14. tyranena

tyranena Aficionado (155) Wisconsin May 24, 2005

Actually, open until 2:30 a.m. (or so) Sunday morning.

EROCK75 likes this.
  15. xsists

Awesome! I didn't see it on the website anywhere and just went by normal hours. I figured there would be some special hours.

16. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Well - i prefer not to hang out in parking lots on major commercial streets. Star is in the most vibrant neighborhood of Madison. Beats a strip mall.

17. makdeco

makdeco Savant (305) Illinois Jan 31, 2007

I know a lot of people camp out at Tyranena in Lake Mills

18. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (370) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

I will be up there for sure, just debating where so far.

19. One of the locations has a big green space and we have always had a great tasting while in line. I t is like having a tasting in a park while waiting for tickets for the best day of the year.

Just sayin...

asmokingoat likes this.
  20. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (370) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

Since I'm coming up
    Since I'm coming from out of state please fill me in to which location has this big green space.

21. Steve's Mineral Point. It is in a strip mall of sorts, but has a big empty lot between it and the next building. Target is across the street if you need to run and get anything as well.

redblacks75 likes this.
  22. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

We'll be at Steve's as well at some point during the evening. Looking forward to it again.

JakeT469 likes this.
  23. Dactrius

Dactrius Savant (475) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

Mineral point is a great place to wait but seems to have a larger crowd than some of the other spots. Grass is great but I still I've heard good things about shorter lines at cork or university.

I've seen plenty of people drinking in line without issue such as the people with a keg last year.

redblacks75 likes this.
  24. EROCK75

So in line 3 hours sooner than last year and in the same spot, about 80 people back. Sad part is the line here at Tyranena will likely be cut off by 10, which is when I got here last year. Crazy that this event is getting to this level of advaned preperation. But damn glad I got my tix.

25. jegross2

Tickets arent on sale yet bro, lol

26. EROCK75

Yes I know tickets are not on sale yet. Just glad to have my spot in line and know I will get tix in 15 hours or so.

27. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (655) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

So anyone else in line yet? Planning on driving up there in about 30 minutes to be in line by Midnight. Hoping 12 hours will be more than enough time to be assured tickets.

Any on the ground information?

28. EROCK75

Really hard to tell, no official head count yet, just judging on where the line cut off last year. Slowed down the last hour, IDK if midnight will make it.

29. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (655) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Well hoping that Tyranena is one of the busier locations, we will have to see. Between the 7 locations I'm hoping we will find one that is still slow by midnight, but I guess only time will tell.

Cheers!

30. jegross2

Fck anyone who shows up before 5 am lol. Let me enjoy my neon Indian concert in peace

31. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

80 people in line already?? Wow... that is crazy! Seems crazy to me when you consider that there always seem to be plenty of tickets floating around day-of due to people that had to cancel, etc... but then again this is pretty much THE best beer event I've ever been to so can't say I blame ya... GABF, etc... can't hold a candle to the Great Taste if you ask me!

Anyway - good luck to you brave souls camping out overnight! Stay warm!!!

redblacks75 likes this.
  32. Was going to get in line at Tyranena at 4 but drove by two hours ago and decided it would be a waste of time to get up for it. Line looked pretty crazy. I'll spend Sunday with my wife and kids and hope I can tickets some other way. Awesome beer festival, but these ticket sales events aren't for me.

33. jegross2

How's the line at steves/stars coming?

34. Lansman

5:30 AM: Approximately 130 in line at Star

35. jegross2

On way

36. jegross2

You all suck. There's no line at Steve's. Makin me wake up at 545 am with your paranoid nonsense. Zzzzz

37. Lansman

6:55 AM: Approximately 275 people in line at Star

38. jegross2

705: plenty of room at Steve's but the line has been getting exponentially longer the last 20 min.

39. jegross2

840: 107 spots remain at Steve's at university per the guy handing out tickets

40. jegross2

In short: I woke up wayyyy to early

psychotia likes this.