1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Great Taste of the Midwest Ticket On-Sale

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Apr 29, 2012.

1. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Fuck
    This
    Rain

2. jegross2

Five tickets total left here at Steve's university

3. Got to Wine and Hop shop about 5 am and we were about 60th in line. Thankfully, they ticketed all of us just before the rain. Ran home to dry off and return shortly. Thanks to the friendly cat with sips of Goldilocks Revenge.

4. kiwifuz

kiwifuz Aficionado (165) Indiana Oct 27, 2005

Shhh Steve's on University is IMHO the best kept "secret" place to get tix. No clue why it's never as busy as other locations. Last year we arrived at 7:30 and I was #50/#51 tickets while other placed had been "sold out" for hours. I don't think I can ever do the places that involve overnight camping.

5. jegross2

Tickets long gone btw. Ppl still showing up tho

6. jegross2

Opening old hlt and thank you Allan i f anyone is at Steve's university

7. TIMMYJ21

TIMMYJ21 Aficionado (210) Minnesota Apr 29, 2010

If anybody at all has extra ticket or two. Please let me know, can work out something with ya. Thanks!!!

8. sjstraub

sjstraub Savant (305) Wisconsin Nov 13, 2006

The line at Tyranena cut off at about 7 this morning. Maybe as late as 8. That's about the same as it was last year. Thankfully they got us all inside before the rain.

Collapsible ice shanties rule. Thanks Xsists. And I'm not sure what I should do with this load I'm carrying. Maybe take it off? I know, I'll listen to some hippies sing a song about it for the 47th time. That'll help me out.

9. Unshake

Unshake Aspirant (35) Wisconsin Feb 5, 2012

FWIW: I arrived at 8:15AM and was #302/303 (Still got 4 tickets, to my surprise).

I'm not sure how many got turned down, but there were about 10-20 extra tickets after #300.

^jegross2 -- the guy running the show at Star said he heard there "a few" spots at Steve's if people hurried from Star (there were people above 310 at this point). 107 is quite a few.

I think to get guaranteed spot at Star, you need to arrive at around 8am (at the absolute latest), 7am would be much safer.

Next year: Going to Steve's on University, seems to be the best location.

10. sjstraub

Apparently the tickets at the Wine and Hop Shop was a big cluster-f. They handed out vouchers and said something like "Get out of the rain and come back and redeem your voucher, the voucher guarantees you a ticket". I had friends who were number 160 in line (out of 400 total tickets), followed that advice, came back after the rain (still before noon), and they were sold out. They way over-distributed the vouchers. My friends were pissed off enough to write a letter, including the voucher, and send it out to MHTG.

Not sure if it was a MHTG volunteer who screwed it up or an employee of the Wine and Hop Shop.

11. Unshake

Unshake Aspirant (35) Wisconsin Feb 5, 2012

Just realized the tickets at Star were numbered, 11 people out of 300 didn't buy 2 tickets. So a lucky 5.5 people got tickets that arrived after ~8:15am.

12. Got to Tyranena at 4:40 am and it was packed with tents....occupy Lake Mills anyone?!?! Rough counts were 75 tents. The last people to get tickets got there at about 6 am I think. Next year it'll probably be all tents so there's no use in showing up at all the next morning if you aren't willing to camp overnight.

13. Had a great time in liner with the RBers and some BA folk today at Steve's Mineral. Rain be damned. If you aren't a GTMW attendee or have no intention of going, I feel bad for you. This is the premier festival of the midwest as far as beer. Coupled with Friday night.. getting in early if you work for a brewery.. all of the crazy stuff breweries bring.. I can say without a doubt that this is marked off on my calendar every year. This will be my 5th year.. and I guarantee it will only continue to get better.

As it stands, had a great time today. Cheers

14. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Also had a good time in Steve's Mineral Point, & even the timing of the rain was good. Wouldn't miss a Great Taste for much of anything!

15. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (430) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

At 6:00am I was the 146 in line at Mineral Point. Allot of good beer was drank yesterday morning.

jegross2 likes this.
  16. polishkaz

polishkaz Savant (455) Connecticut May 30, 2011

Hoping for mail in tickets so I can fly from Massachusetts to attend what looks to be an amazing event.

17. There's some dude on EBay selling tickets for $160 a piece...Just saying, definitely not condoning

18. polishkaz

Not a chance in hell I would do that.

19. You spelled douche wrong.

20. jegross2

That's lame. My roommate has an extra (purchased for my friend who decided he didnt wanna go), but it's already going to a BA here that missed out.

21. makdeco

makdeco Savant (305) Illinois Jan 31, 2007

If you don't hit the lottery Jon let me know and I'll see if there are extras in the pool of people from the midwest on the other beer site...

polishkaz likes this.
  22. ...the farther away you are, the better your chances in the lottery, fwiw. #TourismDollars

Good luck, all

23. Damn, I hope that's not true.

24. makdeco

makdeco Savant (305) Illinois Jan 31, 2007

I hit even year I tried (5 for 5) and live in Chicago that's not too far ;)

25. kodymupa

kodymupa Aficionado (165) Illinois Dec 14, 2010

If there is anyone will to seek or trade their ticket I would love to go. I missed out on the line. Showed up about 7:30am and little did I know how crazy things were gonna be.

26. That is amazingly lucky considering the rate of return. This was our first year going up to get ticks.. was given them our first 4.. failed at the littery twice.. never won.. didn"t try today. Normally only a 30% success on the lottery they say.. and I've always heard people that are farther away get much better odds

27. sjstraub

I randomly ran into MHTG volunteer at a bar in Madison on Sunday and he advised me that about 25% of people entering the lottery last year were awarded tickets. I can only imagine that number will be smaller this year. He didn't mention anything about a distance thing, but I didn't bring it up either.

28. kiwifuz

kiwifuz Aficionado (165) Indiana Oct 27, 2005

If you don't get tickets through the mail I wouldn't buy on ebay. It always seems like people are trying to unload them in the days leading up to the fest at face value. Or even in line the day of. Plus the night before is usually a good time. So show up in Madison and try to find some tickets.

29. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

i think the problem was they didn't check folks for vouchers when buying tickets

the proprietors (assuming) walked the line with a counter and asked folks how many tickets they were buying. each person got a voucher... presumably for 2 tix. they should have stopped at 200. which, i'm guessing they did.

30. Just curious if one was lucky enough to get tickets through the lottery how do you find out? It says if you aren't selected they will just send your check back to you in your self addressed stamped envelope, but if you are selected
    Do they do the same thing only with the tickets?

31. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Pay attention to your checking account -- if your check is cashed, you got 'em. If no cashed check and the forums are all lit up with people excited about getting tickets via mail order, then you should expect your check in the SASE :/

FritterFlip likes this.
  32. Just had my check returned to me in the mail today. Good luck to everyone else. If anyone finds out they can't go my mom and I would love to take your tickets off of your hands.

33. rfraga77

rfraga77 Aficionado (230) Indiana Oct 2, 2009

Check cashed. Yes!!

34. Just checked mail no returned check, so then checked bank account.....check cashed!!! First GTMW!

35. polishkaz

No tickets for this guy. Hoping the girlfriends bank account is $100 lighter.