1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Great Vegas Festival of Beers 2013. . . .

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by dcgunman, Apr 4, 2013.

1. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Has anyone here been to this festival in the past? I will be in Vegas that weekend and just found out about this today. Only tixs left is the $30. I've had most of the brewery's beers as I am in SoCal and can get most if not all the beers listed. I'm planning on bring my own beers out when I come out that weekend. Alpine Duet, Nelson, Pure Hoppiness, Societe's the Pupil, and other San Diego west coast ipa's/dipa's. I heard Vegas is kinda dry with the craft beers. But this festival looks interesting! Would be nice to see who all is going to this and maybe set up some trading. Thanks.

2. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (430) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

The Vegas beer scene is pretty bad. That being said, Vegas is a good time.

3. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Savant (250) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

The fest is a good time and the weather is usually awesome!

As for Vegas craft beer scene it's is growing!

People always say it sucks out here but we are not a craft beer destination. If your coming to Vegas for craft beer then you should re think your vacation. That said we have a great home brew scene ( our home brew club won best of show at NHC last year). Big dogs has been making great hoppy beers for a while and sometimes has Pizza Port Carlsbad beers on tap. Tenaya Creek makes solid beers and does some cool treatments.( they are doing an event at beachwood BBQ tonight). Joseph James has a great new set of brewers and is expanding. (try their new citra rye pale when you come out here! They also do special beers for these fests! They recently made a Gratzer!) Aces and Ales always does tapping parties and freakin frog has been a beer landmark in Vegas for a decade. Enjoy by 4:20 is on draft in town and bottles are still around! Tilquin gueuze is on draft in town as well. Khourys has some cool taps and does some awesome randalls on Fridays. Our beer meetup at Khourys on Wednesday's is always a good time, heck yesterday the following were opened: black tuesday, society and solitude and hop venom to name a few.

Now that I am done rambling if you have time come to the fest! My tasting group and I are always down to trade although most of us make it to SD fairly often and my buddies send me SoCal brews a lot! I'm game for some in person trades let me know what you have and well talk!

Cheers and enjoy your time in Vegas!

4. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (430) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Like I said, it sucks. I don't have a clue about how nice or how great the Vegas BA community might be, but in regards to stores, the OP is not going to find much in Vegas that he won't pick up in CA. And you're not going to find very much on tap at the establishments in the 'Vegas FAQ's' in regards to beers you haven't already come across. At least that's been my experience.

I grew up there, so I'm back often, and that's just my opinion of the scene, the beer buying part of it. Like mentioned above, Khoury's is a good bet. Perhaps what goes on amongst the Vegas BAs is more fun. I wouldn't know. I simply think, coming from CA, you're better off avoiding the stores looking for bottles. But ya never know...maybe you'll find a hidden gem.

5. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

I'm like 10 minutes from Beachwood BBQ SB. Tenaya Creek was at the wood Thursday night. Was not able to make it to the event but they still have some of their beers on the hop cam. So hopefully I'll be able to try some of their beers before it kicks.

I'll be coming out with Alpine Duet, Nelson and Pure Hoppiness, growlers of Beachwood Citraholic & Societe the Pupil, bottles of Beachwood Thrillseeker and a few others including growler of Port Mongo from my keg. So not sure yet if we will do the Vegas Festival or have our own beer fest in Vegas. Thanks for the info.

6. Vitacca

Vitacca Advocate (545) Montana Sep 15, 2010

There's a place in the Monte Carlo hotel that has a pretty good selection. Maybe a 100 plus taps?

dcgunman likes this.

7. I would agree with the statement, whatever he can get in Cali, He can probably get here... Our distro isn't the greatest.But like everyone has said... Khourys is awesome.