1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Greatest Find/Story in Public (Store/Bar/etc.)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gillagorilla, Apr 10, 2013.

1. I started this thread just to say that I found a 2007 Fort back in 2011 when I was not interested in beer. It was at King's Liquors, which carries a few bombers , but they are nice in that they only carry what is on the release schedule (fresh/current) for DFH at any one time (unlike most other liquor stores around here). I had been collecting vinyl figurines for a while (kidrobot type stuff) and I knew Tara McPherson's artwork. At the front of the store they have a grocery cart fire sale to get rid of "old" stock. It is usually cheap wine bottles, but this day it had a bomber with her very recognizable artwork and it was only $3. This is the first DFH bottle that I had bought (I believe) and I don't even think I knew about DFH then, because I was a cider guy at the time and they have a nice selection and it is cheap. I got another King's Liquor story and a Stone story too, but I will see how this thread goes. I'm not sure how great of a story this is but I thought I would share. I like hearing other people's tales.

p.s. I did not like it and gave it to my parents, who thought it was wine. I wonder how I would like it now.

2. On my 21st birthday I bought a bottle of 2009 BCBS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA :)

3. But was it the year 2009 when you bought it or was it one that had lasted in that region for a while? There are two 2011 BCBS at a store in MD, each for $13. I haven't had one, but I may just have to pay it, just to see what all the hubbub is about.

4. I bought a case of Abacus 2011 (in 2011) at a distributor here in the Philly area. For about $75.

5. Found a store in SE Michigan that had the following:

Dogfishead 120min IPA (1st Batch ever) - No hops left, awesome malt bomb.
    Founders Nemesis 2009 and 2010
    Sam Adams Utopias
    Bells Batch 7000, 9000, 10000

pinnser, craigo19, dsal89 and 2 others like this.
  6. I bought it in 2011 lol

7. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

A couple of years ago I found an 08 corked 'n' caged La Folie in the cooler of a small wine/beer store in Telluride, CO.

8. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

A week after the distributor that brought Cantillon to our fine state pulled out of MN, I randomly walked into a bar that had 750s of Classic Geuze for sale at a very reasonable $20 price tag. My server brought out my bottle, poured me a glass and set the bottle on the table. When he came out with our food, he knocked the bottle on floor, spilling about a quarter of its contents. He insisted on bringing out a second bottle (with no complaint from me), which happened to be their last.

So here I am with a full glass of Classic Geuze and 1.5 bottles chillin' in front of me. I immediately contacted my nearby BA friend to come join me and we polished them off in style. That will probably be the last time I get Cantillon at a bar in MN for a while.

Cheers and a big thanks to my clumsy server!

beerindaglass, DanE, MC6 and 3 others like this.
  9. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

A few months ago I found three 2006 LP Frambroise sitting on a bottleshop shelf in NEPA. They were not there a couple months prior to that. Not sure where they've been hiding all that time.

10. FrankHammer

FrankHammer Savant (485) Michigan Jan 31, 2013

Was in Fenton, MI for work the other day. Saw a little party store and stopped in for a pop. Walked out with a 4 pack of 2012 KBS. :eek:

ressling likes this.
  11. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

My best find to date was two bombers of Surly Darkness. I went in to a local package store in MN looking for Abrasive Ale (which I bought of course!), and they had two bombers of Darkness left. Thankfully, I was with my aunt and we bought them both! Gotta love family.

Revenant likes this.
  12. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

-got 2006 BCBS at a bar in Terre Haute... in 2012. $13/bottle, awesome.
    -had Black Biscuit at a TGI Fridays (not kidding) for $5 a snifter. drank many over two days
    -Bramble at a bar in Bloomington 4 months after release, sold me two bottles (one drank there and one to go!)
    -KBS at a couple random stores this summer, some in Ohio even

13. Jamison85

Jamison85 Savant (320) Indiana Mar 23, 2013

Found a bottle of Goose Island King Henry at a bar in Terre Haute in 2012. A few weeks later found 4 2009 DFH World Wide Stout in Indy. Found 5 bottles of 2007 Raison D' Extra in Indy three weeks ago and Zombie Dust was on tap at Terre Haute TGI Fridays last week.

pjeagles and legend8706 like this.
  14. dar482

dar482 Advocate (690) New York Mar 9, 2007

Something tells me that stuff like this never happens in NYC.

BKBassist, willbm3 and JxExM like this.
  15. Brewski

Brewski Savant (390) Pennsylvania Jul 22, 2012

I bought 4 cases of Great Lakes Blackout Stout for 20 bucks a case. Usually it sells around Pittsburgh for about 52 plus tax. I purchased them a few months ago.

MarkJBurch likes this.
  16. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

Cantillon every week until noobies got curious.

hansgruber likes this.
  17. not really an epic story but i was able to have pliny the elder on tap in portland over president's weekend and that's one i never thought i'd get to taste.
    believe the hype

mcrago likes this.
  18. I must have been going to the wrong bars when I was at ISU!

craft_shannie likes this.
  19. 5 bottles of 1993 Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus cellared in a bar who was looking to clear out some stuff from the basement. :) And it's still quite, quite good.

20. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

In Philly I messed up the directions to a bar but didn't realize it until we parked. I thought "oh shit" as we were walking in but to me and my buddy smutty33 surprise they had Pliny the Elder on so it ended up being a blessing in disguise. The beer Gods were looking out for us that night...CHEERS

smutty33 and gillagorilla like this.
  21. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

Buy those. It's worth it.

Greenplastic615 likes this.
  22. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Best find on a store shelf, via a friend earlier this year, was a bottle of RR Beatification, batch 2, for $20

23. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Before I knew what it was and before the wild hysteria began, I bought a bomber of 2009 BCBS (in 2009 or 2010, don't remember) at a pretty small restaurant in central MA. I think it was only like $12-$13. I enjoyed it, but trying to drink 22 ounces of that syrup over the course of dinner was TOUGH

jgluck likes this.
  24. TheGoof

TheGoof Savant (285) Michigan Apr 10, 2013

In December 2011, I went to a bar in Kalamazoo, MI called Gallagher's that's one of those bars that hypes that have 100s of beers but usually few that are any good or anything special or hard to find. They still had bottles of KBS. I cleaned them out over the next two weeks.

25. Found 2012 BCBCS x 1 bottle at a random liquor store just by asking.

Found a store that was selling Rochefort 10 for $3.50/bottle :D

26. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (410) Alaska Apr 28, 2012

mine was $8 growlers of abyss this year.

WassailWilly, Bond111 and kojevergas like this.
  27. If I found that, the store would no longer have any Rochefort 10 ;)

28. brewfly

brewfly Zealot (75) New York Dec 13, 2012

9 dollar growlers of breakfast stout and blackout stout at the same place

craigo19 likes this.
  29. jackndan

jackndan Advocate (565) Illinois Feb 25, 2002

A bunch of Westvleteren 12 about ten years ago on the shelf at Sam's in Chicago.

30. Maybe not a huge find, but a fun surprise...

At local sandwich shop recently, ordered and paid for a bomber of Stone Smoked Porter for something like $6. The guy hunted around for a few minutes and said they were out, but offered me a bomber of He'Brew Jewbelation Fifteen that he found in the cooler.

I was very glad to have walked there.

31. fishmich

fishmich Savant (490) Michigan Apr 11, 2013

one of my local bars had CBS on tap last week. supposedly one of, if not the last 1/2 barrel left.

brother_kenneth and Tony412 like this.
  32. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (595) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

thats rediculous. I want to be at that store... in the past... right now.

33. So that's where they went. I waited a little to long to go and get them. That was an amazing steal IMO

34. plumcrazyfx

plumcrazyfx Savant (450) Minnesota Aug 26, 2010

Last weekend: 4- 4-packs of '09 BCBS, 1- 4-pack of '08 - total cost = a little over a $100. Pays to visit out of the way places.

MisterBisco likes this.
  35. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

I-Fucking-SO:

36. not really that crazy, but still cool, since I had been hoping to get my hands on some:

I once wandered into one of those convenience/grocery/home supply "catchall" type stores while visiting my friend at his college (Lewis and Clark) just outside of portland, and stumbled upon 5 bottles of '12 Abyss.

Bought em on the spot for around $12 a pop. Drank 2, got 3 in the cellar.

Only in Portland can you buy Abyss at a combo gas station.

37. Shortly after I started working at my current job, I found two cases of Canty Classic 750s (six bottles per case) in the beer and wine storage area. I asked the buyer if he was going to put them on the shelf or what. He said he didn't have any particular plans to, and I could buy as many as I wanted. I bought all of them.

38. s_wit

s_wit Savant (375) Wisconsin Apr 26, 2012

Was this M. Moggers?

39. I just picked up two 750's of DFH 75 min for $8.99 ea. Yeah, it might not be the most spectacular find to some people, but I've never seen the 75 in my area, and to find 2 of them at a grocery store made me pretty happy.

MagicJeff and fullmetal1381 like this.
  40. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Fly to Belgium. Call me when you're bankrupt.

fullmetal1381 and jRocco2021 like this.