1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Greatest Find/Story in Public (Store/Bar/etc.)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gillagorilla, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Ten years ago I was picking up some groceries at Safeway in St Andrews & what did I stumble upon? Dogfish Head World Wide Stout. That was one expensive visit.

2. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (345) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

Six bottles of Vigneronne in a shitty suburban store last fall. They gave me the mix-a-six discount.

ehammond1, queens1130 and KhakCane like this.
  3. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (580) Washington Apr 30, 2008

found a bunch of Parabola and Abacus just chilling on the beer shelf at the gas station on the south end of my island. There are 2000 total people on this island (roughly the size of manhatan), so it's not like there's a beer store or any large beer community (or any subcommunity for that matter). I grabbed like two of each.

Oh, and they were about a dollar or two cheaper than any prices I'd seen in Seattle. It was a super exciting day

AwesomeSquad likes this.
  4. atomic

atomic Savant (435) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

What?! I didnt even know they came here before the bricks last year...

5. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Stopped by this gourmet grocery stop on my way home to grab a few things we needed for dinner. like I always do, I decided to check out their beer selection. it was very small but to my surprise, they had 4 bottles of 2007 Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock in a tiny little cooler. it was my best random find to date.

teorn88 and ediaz like this.
  6. Imported, apparently legally but without the consent of the Abbey through an unknown third party, by D&V Int'l. and, IIRC, by another (related?) Illinois based importer - the name of which escapes me currently. Circa the late 1990's.

[​IMG]

JxExM likes this.
  7. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

sonkas :)

craft_shannie likes this.
  8. Brewski

Brewski Savant (365) Pennsylvania Jul 22, 2012

Sorry man! I went there on a Thursday and purchased two cases and they still had 21 cases left. Then I went back on Friday and got two more and they were down to 9 cases. Stuff went quick at that price.

9. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Last week me and a friend went to the diner I got 2011 Parabola at earlier this year. He bought the last 2010 world wide stout ($9) and 2012 Parabola ($18). Pretty awesome bar prices for well cellered beer.

10. I was in Louisville, Kentucky at an after work mixer with some folk at a place called St. Charles Exchange. It was in the middle of the fall and I was looking for a good stout drink & I checked the beer list & i'll be damn, they had Left Hand Milk Stout. I didn't expect them to have that beer there, but I got a glass. Had a good evening.

11. FrankHammer

FrankHammer Savant (485) Michigan Jan 31, 2013

Was it on nitro???

JxExM likes this.
  12. DanU

DanU Aficionado (145) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2013

Last friday I stopped by a bottleshop I haven't been to before to see if they had any beers I wanted to try that my local place didn't have. I ended up getting a mix 6 of stuff I haven't had before, these aren't really that rare or anything but they are new to me and I was excited.

Founders breakfast stout
    Founders All day IPA
    Bell's special double cream stout
    Bell's Kalamazoo stout
    Troegs nugget nectar (I know it is getting old at this point but I took a chance because I haven't gotten to try it yet)
    Dogfish head 61

CircusBoy and BDEE like this.
  13. GR_Beer_Nut

GR_Beer_Nut Savant (355) Michigan Nov 18, 2012

Found 6 bombers of yeti last October at a little grocery store next to my house. It had been aged 2 years for me (since they stopped selling in MI 2 years ago)!

szmnnl99 likes this.
  14. No, sir.

15. theCoder

theCoder Savant (330) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

2 things, just returned from Milwaukee this past weekend and had to stop to pick up some liquor only found there and being I hadn't been to this city since really getting into craft beer I decided to walk down the beer aisle quick. I had no where near enough money to buy what I found, but I did find a 5 Golden Rings from The Bruery which I know has had mixed reviews but I've had all since 2 TUrtle Doves from trade or travel and this one slipped my grasp so far.

#2, 2 weeks ago I was in San Francisco for the Game Developers Conference and my CEO wanted to travel to his cabin in Tahoe to ski. I did some looking and found out he was 5 min from FiftyFifty Brewing Co. Told him only if we went there (heh right I still woulda gone but would have pouted) so we did and they had Eclipse 12 Year Elijah barrels on tap, BAM!!! Oh and a uh Barley Wine aged in er...Brandy Barrels? I can't remember off hand.

16. Zombie Dust on tap at Chammps Americana... if your from WI you realize how unheard of that is... To be fair this resteraunt/bar doesn't usually follow the franchise will beer purchasing decisions, which is great.

craigo19, BDEE and Mitchell57 like this.
  17. At the Frontier bar in Folsom PA. I found eight Still Nacht in the reduced container (about 18 months old) at a $1 each which don't exist anymore this was in about 94 before they knew what was going on and they still don't many days a week with empty shelves. I remember I couldn't put them on the counter quick enough a great find at the time.

RobertColianni likes this.
  18. Rapids3147

Rapids3147 Disciple (50) Michigan Sep 30, 2010

This past September, I went to a small liquor store and ran into five cases of Bourbon County Stout. It was impossible to find in stores in the Detroit area the past three years.

AwesomeSquad likes this.
  19. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Courage Russian Stout in a grotty pub on the Roman Road in 1979.

djsmith1174, cavedave and badbeer like this.
  20. only 2 stories from California.... Damn us and our # of beer drinkers per sq. mile! Not many super sneakies last on the shelves. So I will continue to be jealous of most of you! Althought I did find 2012 Sucaba in January of this year which was fun. And a bunch of dusty Fantome options on a corner shelf.... which was fun. but with everything else, So Cal knows how to price based on popularity, thats for sure haha.

SoCalBeerIdiot likes this.
  21. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

I found a couple of bottles of Mendocino Barleywine in a Somerset,Ky bar for only $2.00 a bottle.When i asked for it the bartenter told me that they don't serve wine here.great memory.Cheers

AwesomeSquad likes this.
  22. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

just got a bomber of Achel Trappist Extra for only $4.97! :eek:...gonna have to go back tomorrow to see if its the same price! something I can finally afford!!

23. Cottzilla

Cottzilla Savant (265) Ohio Dec 2, 2010

Back in 2011, a 64 oz Growler of DFH WWS randalled thru coffee beans soaked in Makers Mark. Cost: $15

24. Damn. Where?

25. chardlogic

chardlogic Savant (290) Florida Feb 18, 2011

For me, it was Cantillon Classic Geueze 750's on a shelf at a bottle shop last year. Picked up 2 out of the 6 that were available, came back the next week, and to my pleasant surprise the other 4 were still there untouched. Picked the others up without batting an eye.

26. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

local bottle shop right down the street from me in Tulsa. I'm goin back again today to see if the price is the same.

27. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

2012: Bottles of 1995 and 1996 New Glarus Belgian Red being cleared out of a well-kept cellar by the new beer manager at a very small bar in Wisconsin. $11 each. 1995 was opened last August with Dan Carey at New Glarus, 1996 to be opened with Dan likely next weekend.

[​IMG]

28. How was the '95?

29. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

30. rollom

rollom Advocate (560) New York Jan 22, 2011

Haha - too right. If you live in NYC, these types of stories need to be adjusted. I.e. walked into a store an hour after they received BCBCS and was still able to score a bottle.

Think my best surprise find was picking up 1 x 4-pack of 2011 KBS from a bodega who had inadvertently received a case, about 2-3 days after it hit the city.

dar482 likes this.
  31. I was at a bar in Temecula, CA that was serving 20oz pours of 2009 Alpine Great for $8. That was amazing.

I also found Pliny the Younger in 2009 that was being served at a pizza place in Ocean Beach, San Diego. Good year.

ehammond1 and queens1130 like this.
  32. I'm sorry, but I gotta ask. Was this store ever open for customers to buy beer or did they just take delivery of hard-to-find beer and keep the doors locked up tight?

BDEE likes this.
  33. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Savant (300) Maryland Apr 12, 2013

Sounds like Heaven...

34. orchestrion

orchestrion Zealot (75) Indiana Jan 29, 2013

I found Zombie Dust one time. ;)

35. lic217

lic217 Savant (435) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Walked into a hole in the wall place. Terrible selection and was looking for KBS (the day it was released in CT). When I was about to walk out she asked me what I was looking for. I said, "KBS".

She said, "let me call my distributor". She had never heard of the beer before. 5 minutes later she told me she was scared to order such an expensive beer. So being a nice guy I offered to buy the case if she ordered it. 24 hours later...A case of KBS for under $120.

The great thing is I posted the story and some one offered to do an in person trade involving my KBS for their heady topper. Those 24 KBS's allowed me to get heady and make some friends and coworkers very happy.

The other day Got a bottle of Black ops, 2 bottles of expresso IRS, and 4 bottles of enjoy by (2 for me and 2 for others who couldn't land any).

I love sharing beer. It makes me feel like Santa Claus.

36. lic217

lic217 Savant (435) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

I have a similiar story here in CT. I just bought two year old Yeti. It was mind blowing.

37. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Guessing it no longer has any of the following:D

38. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Was driving home from a relatives house today and decided to stop by the bottle shop on the way home for an Orval. That's a classic beer that I have yet to try so I wanted 1. The shop had recently started a "vintage rack" in the back of the store where they randomly put some older stuff. As I was there for the Orval, I grabbed it and then decided to go look and see what they had on the rack. Damn am I glad I did. Sitting back there, staring me straight in the face, was a drop dead gorgeous bottle of King F*#%ing Henry. So I am now the proud owner of a beer I thought I would never, ever get to try. Can not wait to open it, but now I need an occasion to.

ediaz and RyanMcFly1985 like this.
  39. and for some reason everything awesome happens in fucking Terre Haute :p

dar482 likes this.
  40. Just cracked one open and wrote a review about it on my blog. Good shit. Smells like 90 minute and tastes like 60 minute. crazy stuff man.

Mediczod likes this.