1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Greatest Find/Story in Public (Store/Bar/etc.)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gillagorilla, Apr 10, 2013.

1. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Nothing too crazy but while I was in Chicago this weekend Archer Liquors got in and immediately sold out of this years Parabola but had some 2012s. Since I've never had Parabola that was a big score for me.
  2. Random, unexpected finds?

Probably 750s of Batch 1 and 2 Consecration at a little wine shop last summer. I don't think the staff there really had any idea what they were.
    FunkyMacGroovin likes this.
  3. Walked into Cheese Bar in PDX on our way out of town. Found multiples of Peche N Brett, Pliny the Elder, Stone Enjoy By, and many other brews sold out in all of Portland. The cheese selection was also amazing.
    AwesomeSquad likes this.
  4. slvrmon82

slvrmon82 Savant (410) Delaware Dec 4, 2007

A few years ago (2011) we were on a "beercation" up to New England. We stopped by a small shop in CT and found a whole shelf of 2007 Raison D'Extra as well 2006 WWS. The owner sold them to me for $7 a bottle when he realized they were so old.

Last week a case of Enjoy By 5-17-13 for $6 a bottle.

Cheers, Matt
  5. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

Where is this magical land?
  6. IndyDad

IndyDad Champion (810) New York Jan 21, 2013

I recently scored two old Yetis at one of my favorite Beverage centers. The owner sold me both for $8.99. One was clearly marked as 2008, and the other was older- no date, but the old Yeti label. The 2008 was awesome, and we drank the other one last week. I'm pretty sure I heard angels singing as we drank it..
    BMitch and cavedave like this.
  7. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

A case of "expired" Otter Creek Imperial Stout bombers at half price in Rutland, Vt.

Found, but didn't buy, 8 bottles of Berserker on a bottom shelf in New Windsor, NY - bought three.

2 cases of 2011 BCBS at a beverage store in Port Ewen, N.Y. that doesn't carry Goose Island. I bought 1.

In 2010 I found 2 2007 Super Kitty in the back of a refrigerator at a New Paltz, NY beverage store. Bought 1.

6 months ago found 3 Marshal Zhukov on the back of a corner top shelf in a crappy beverage store outside Beacon, NY. Glad I knew what it was, only a bit of the one bottle's label was visible from below through the steel mesh rack they rested on. Tall racks, needed to get his step ladder to reach the beer. Bought 2, but told my friend who went back for the last one.

And to those who think gee you shoulda bought all of those beers, I always leave some behind, I never clean them out. Beer Karma is real. It goes around, it comes around.
    queens1130, mrcraft and gillagorilla like this.
  8. In 2007 I picked up a bottle of DFH Zwaandend'ale (brewed once in 2006) http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/30118/?sort=topr&start=0

In 2012 I picked up a 2010 DFH World Wide Stout. Both purchases were $8 from a store in Rehoboth.

In 2008, my roommate at the time gave me a 2005 DFH Old Skool Barleywine as a gift. It's still sitting in my beer cabinet.

This past December made the trip to Hardywood Park Craft Brewery and picked up 2 bottles of their Bourbon Barrel Gingerbread Stout.
    Grieves757 and WassailWilly like this.
  9. Where I work the distributor sent some stuff they wanted to get rid of at $3.99. I can't remember everything I got but a few included a 750ml Chimay tripel, My Antonia and I think Rhizing Bines.
  10. Its open for business every day. He does keep this stuff back in a temperature-controlled cellar, so it's not exactly sitting on the shelf. But if he asks you what you are looking for and you were to request a hard-to-find beer, he will happily take you back there.

also, higher price tags keep the bottles around longer. Those that are good at bartering will still go home happy
  11. No longer has batch 7000 thanks to me...everything else should still be there
  12. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

Randomly walked into a package store in town. You could tell that this place didn't necessarily carry anything special, but they had 5x four packs of Founder's Backwoods Bastard right there in the fridge in front of my eyes. I bought 4x four packs of them and left one for someone else. When I checked out, the guy looked at me like I was crazy, since it was $12.99 per four pack.
    jefferyc likes this.
  13. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

While in Ireland I found last year I found 2 bottles of 2010 Classic Gueze, and a 2011 Brooklyn Black Ops. This was my first Cantillon experience and blew me away. Little did I know that 2 weeks later I would be in the brewery with Jean sipping all of their glory.
    jefferyc likes this.
  14. Was just in NY for a wedding and stopped at a bottle shop. Among a lot of other stuff they had 4 packs of BCBS, 2013 sucaba, and DFH Fort (bottled 2011). If I shopped around longer I'm sure I would have found more gems.
  15. BCBS at a Whole Foods for $22/4 pack this weekend. The cashier's eyes kind of popped out when she saw the cost, but it was well worth clearing them out :p
    jefferyc likes this.
  16. a74gent

a74gent Savant (395) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

Last year, found a 2003 Thomas Hardy's in the cooler of a small store in Grand Rapids.
    Couple years back, I bought an entire unopened case of Black Ops....that hit the wallet hard.
    Found 11 bottles of King Kenry in the cooler of a grocery store in Iowa around time of release and bought them all. (A grateful bunch of BAs should thank me because I foolishly made a bunch of trades without tasting it first and only had 2 of those bottles myself)....pre-hype machine! Also traded a couple of Rares too...didn't realize what they'd become.
  17. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (275) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

I once had a case of Rodenbach Grand Cru for about 35 dlls. This was about 2 years ago in a random walmart in Mexico. A friend later told me they further reduced the price to about half what I paid.
    They clearly had no idea what they were selling. Sadly, I have never seen it again. And I visit often to see if they make that mistake again.
    MagicJeff likes this.
  18. Does a Beer festival count? My brother and I were heading up for a camping trip to British Columbia in 1995 and stopped in Portland for the nite. Low and behold it was the weekend of the Oregon Brewers Festival. So nice to enjoy some great beer after 12 hours on the road:cool:
  19. Grant35

Grant35 Savant (315) California Jul 7, 2012

I snagged the last Firestone Walker 16th anniversary's for $11 a piece - walked out with 9 of them
    Joenajera likes this.
  20. Similarly...On Friday I bought 5 cases of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout for $15 each at Nittany Beverage in State College while I was there to see MGMT(for free!). They probably still have some left.
    fullmetal1381 likes this.
  21. I was in Mansfield, MA and guess what's behind the counter? Goose Island Bourbon County Brand stout 2012- that was a few days ago in Wines and more. Looking for it for quite a while.
    maybe I will have the same luck with Backwoods Bastard.

A person who works in a beer store tweeted me that he never seen it on either coast.
  22. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Indeed Let it Ride IPA on tap this past Saturday night at The Groveland Tap.
  23. justforrazors

justforrazors Initiate (0) Missouri Feb 16, 2013

Grocery shopping a week or so ago earlier in the morning. Went into their beer section, came out with half a case of KBS. It was a good day...
    jefferyc, MattOC and Cboat like this.
  24. Cboat

Cboat Aficionado (115) California Jun 6, 2012

I have a few great find moments.
    My first came in Philly as I was just starting to venture into the world of beer and knew very little. During the craft beer express one of the bars had World Wide Stout served through a Randall of coffee and vanilla beans: Mind blowingly awesome even for a n00b.
    The next two big finds occured during this past SF beer week. The first Saturday while the hoards were fighting over glasses of Bourbon County in the mission, my friend took me to a bar that had no advertised events. Instead they just had AWESOME beer on tap: Allagash Curieux, Allagash Bourbon Black, and ballast point Victory at sea.
    But the biggest find of them all happened when City Beer store tapped PtY as a cheers sendoff at last call on the last Sunday of beer week. I had showed up late having to talk myself into going since it had been a long week, loved all the FW on tap but lost it when they surprised everyone by tapping Pliny for all 20 ppl left.
  25. That is one of my favorite beers so far. After I read the description of it, I had to try it since I hadn't seen anything even remotely like it. I had it right before I started reviewing beers and I gave it a had score of 5. It is/was $26 to $30 here. Luckily, a place had it on tap for like $7 and I saw it at another place on tap for $11. You got an amazing deal.
    Grant35 likes this.
  26. BDEE

BDEE Aficionado (125) Wisconsin Feb 11, 2012

I'm one of the managers there, and the one directly responsible for that beer showing up there. That place has about 30 different drafts, but dominated by BMC, Leinenkugel's (which we all know is very underwhelming, but very indigenous.), damn Blue Moon and it's fake ass seasonals, with only a handful of good craft, and only mainly WI basics. After years of poking and prodding the owner I finally have gotten him to let me implement a few gems now and again. 3 Floyd's was something I started carrying and when a select few kegs of Zombie came into the distributors hands it landed at our place. I was also floored. If you know the beer scene in that area, then you know it's non-existent. Recently I had a Hopslam 1/6 brl take almost 2 weeks to pop.

So if any other of you BA's are in the Brookfield, WI area and don't wan't to go all the way to the Milwaukee Lakefront for a decent brew come to Champps. Currently I've got Central Waters Illumination, 3 Floyd's Gumballhead and Robert The Bruce pouring. And others already on deck: New Glarus I.I.P.A., Oskar Blues G'Knight, New Belgium Rampant, and just pre-ordered 2 SN Hoptimums on Monday. I now, this is shameless plugging, but if any of ya'll knew the type of beer crowd I'm dealing with out there you would understand. I would just like to see more true beer drinkers around my spot. Sorry ya'll. Synergy 87 got me all excited.
    BrettHead and fullmetal1381 like this.
  27. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (770) California Jan 15, 2009

I'm sufficiently lucky to have a number of great stories. However, one I've not thought about for quite a while was walking into a liquor store here in Los Angeles several years ago and finding 4 bottles Le Woody Brune sitting on the shelf dusty. I forgot what they were marked; but, the beer buyer was behind the register and said that people weren't buying them and those that did hated it. It was a "wild ale, or something, and people don't like it. I can't sell them."

Suffice it to say he sold me the 4 remaining dusty bottles at about $3 a bottle (750s). I probably went through several bottles back then. However, believe it or not, the last two bottles I opened, both in the past 2 years, were still really tasty.
  28. Vitacca

Vitacca Advocate (525) Montana Sep 15, 2010

I hear ya. I'm from Lake Geneva so I know how it goes. Distro is terrible in MT, at least in Bozeman. Hoping to drive home in August so I can stock back up. I've depleted my entire stash out here.
  29. Keffa

Keffa Savant (475) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Local shop has Monk's Cafe 4 packs for 6.99 and Goudenband 750's for 6.49.
  30. JSaint

JSaint Aficionado (110) Wisconsin Aug 26, 2010

A couple years ago when Ballast Point was first showing up near me I was able to get an entire case of Sculpin Bombers half off. No idea how it happened but I did not complain. Also just found a single bottle of Nemsis 2010 at a local shop.
  31. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (460) California Nov 16, 2009

Went to SF Toronado, I was told they were sold out of Cable Car and Cable Car Kriek in very angry (rude) voices. Went to SD Toronado, they had visible bottles of Cable Car that they were happy to sell me.
  32. Walked into "Saus" (french fry place in Boston) and they had Founders Breakfast Stout on draft...best day ever!
  33. JSBILK

JSBILK Savant (285) Massachusetts Apr 6, 2013

A few months ago I popped into a small little liquor store and they had a dusty Utopias box. Upon further investigation I saw it was a 2007. I said I would consider buying if price was right. I also convinced the store owner that since it was 5 years old it was going bad and obviously he couldn't sell it because it wasn't in high demand. Anyways I bought the 2007 Utopias for 150. Sadly I had a beer tasting and we drank it all in one night, wish I saved some.
  34. Livonia. The wine barrel. Out of nemesis now, but tons of other great ones
  35. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Few years ago before I had been to every store in the area, had really good luck every time I went to a new store. One store I decided to go into had three 4 packs and a few singles of KBS just sitting on the shelf. Another one I visited had one bottle of Cantillon Lou Pepe. Best was the last one which had 5 bottles on Cantillon Iris and 3 bottles of Classic Geuze waiting for me.
  36. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Some people forget that beers don't need to be rare to be amazing. You grabbed some good ones.
    meb3476 likes this.
  37. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Not even remotely worth it. And yes I love BCBS.
  38. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (405) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

Did it take you 20 days to decide if it was worth it?
  39. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Never saw this thread before, and unlike most people I read them front to back

Sorry I can't spend all day on Beeradvocate. You'll understand someday when you have a job too. :cool:
  40. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (405) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

I spend all day on BeerAdvocate at my job. It's a cool job.
    Cboat likes this.