1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Greatest Find/Story in Public (Store/Bar/etc.)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gillagorilla, Apr 10, 2013.

1. henskejk

henskejk Savant (280) California Feb 10, 2011

Small stroke of luck at a nearby liquor store a few weeks ago. This place typically overprices most of their bomber-sized bottles so a lot of stuff tends to sit around for a long time. But this sometimes works to my advantage as I found a bottle of 2008 Stone Old Guardian (for only $9) and a bottle of the Deschutes Jubel 2010 ($15) sitting at the bottom of the fridge display.

2. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

Thanks! I'm more on the Eastside but I think a road trip is in order.

3. I remember seeing those around too

4. Gunch43

Gunch43 Savant (285) Pennsylvania Jan 15, 2010

2 years in a row I happened to walk into the same beer distributor at the same time the founders truck pulled up. Both times it was about a week after KBS was released. Both times I got the ONE case that was shipped.

Zer0p0intZer0 likes this.
  5. Two weeks ago; six bottles of Fantome La Gourmande at a liquor store. The manager said they had been there for at least eight years, longer than he had been working there. Bought them all.

6. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

Yesterday I drove 4 blocks, went into Hy-vee, and grabbed a bottle of Doom for $11.99. It was right next to a stack of FIS. As I understand it, these 2 beers sell out a little faster in large markets.

7. no problem, give them a call first before you make the trip perhaps. Ask if they have some of the stuff you are looking for or whats in the cellar right now. 734-522-WINE

8. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

The whole case each time? o_O Maybe Founders can just deliver that store's KBS allotment to your house from now on.

9. Gunch43

Gunch43 Savant (285) Pennsylvania Jan 15, 2010

It's a beer distributor so PA law does not allow them to break cases. I wasn't being greedy I was forced to take the case by law.

10. you wanna part with any of those raison's ??

11. Late last year I found a mixed 6-pack of Bigfoots. Two 2006 bottles, two 2007 bottles, & two 2008 bottles. $6.99 for the sixer. There were also two 30th Anniversary stouts on the shelf above, still retailing at $9.99. I go back to the same store 2 months later and find two boxes of 2011 Parabola, where I'm charged $9.99 for each.

Polasiuss and beerindaglass like this.
  12. While inquiring about Parabola at a small liquor store, I was informed that they didn't have 2013, but they did have 2012.. and 2011.. Done.

Cynic-ale likes this.
  13. Wehler

Wehler Aficionado (105) Michigan Apr 3, 2013

Stopped at a small bottle shop in Kzoo after the Doom release. Being near Grand Rapids, I expected nothing out of the ordinary. Walked out with 1 Bolt Cutter, 2 Ivan the Terrible, 1-4 pack KBS, 1 GI BC Cherry Rye, 2 DFH WWS, 2 DFH Olde School Barley Wine, 5 Arcadia BA IMP Stout and 2 or 3 other randoms. By far my best pull to date.

14. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

My greatest find was about a year and a half ago. Not beer, but a single bottle of Macallan Gran Reserva 1979 was sitting in a case for just $170. They routinely sell for >$1000.00 at auction. I felt like I was stealing it from him and I'm sure he was just happy to sell it. Win, win.

15. Evileye68

Evileye68 Disciple (70) Connecticut Mar 29, 2013

Last Night i was a bar... asked for two roads DIPA .. keg kicked.. got my choice of next beer..
    first on list ..
    Dogfish 90min! .. stop right there load it up ..

now your prob scoffing .. dogfish 90 no big deal right ..

Ha! it was happy hour .. 3$ pints of Dogfish 90 ..

Cee-Poe and beerindaglass like this.
  16. Cboat

Cboat Aficionado (115) California Jun 6, 2012

My company literally powers forums and online communities so being on BA is kind of like doing my job haha.

17. My fiance and I went into our favorite beer store last night to see if they had any KBS left in the back (we were able to get 2 there last weekend). We struck up a conversation with the manager and she told us to wait a moment and went to the back. When she came back, she had a 2011 KBS for us. It was glorious!

Cee-Poe likes this.
  18. This isn't really an amazing story but I was at a health food store not too long ago and they had a a make your own six pack for $8.99. And what blew my mind was they had stacked rows of Duvel, 90 min ipa, Bells Two Hearted, Victory Hop Devil...
    I had to take advantage of the genius who didn't know math and set this up lol

mtmonroe9 likes this.
  19. Hop Devil and 90 minute can be found in mix six-packs I've seen pretty frequently.