'Green' beer characteristics

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by DAllspaw, Sep 28, 2012.

1. DAllspaw

DAllspaw Savant (280) Indiana Nov 7, 2009

I just tried my first batch, a Brewers Best extract IPA kit after two weeks priming. Carbonation is good, and am pleasantly surprised with the taste, but am getting some slight sour notes and a bit more tannins than I would want. This may be from steeping grains at too high temp, though I thought I kept it under 160, I controlled better for second batch, now fermenting. Anyway, I would welcome any tasting notes for beer at this stage, just curious if I can expect it to smooth out a bit as it ages more. Feel free to respond with leprechaun jokes if compelled, but that's not the green beer I'm referring to.

2. Aldehydes...will give a green apple type flavor. I used to get it occasionally when racking the beer off the yeast too soon. Patience grasshopper...most beers are much better at 2 months than a month or less. : )

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (760) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

If the sour notes are a green apple type flavor, then it's probably acetaldehydes. For this batch, let the beer condition in the bottle for a while, then taste again. Time and yeast generally do the trick. In the future, taste before you rack.

On tannins... can you describe what you're tasting there? Tannins don't really have much flavor per se.

4. DAllspaw

You nailed it, subtle, but definitely a tart, green apple flavor. Glad I already brewed 2nd batch two weeks ago, can focus on that and leave this one to sit more. Thanks.

5. DAllspaw

The tannins I detect are subtle, a bit tea-like with that sense of evaporation from the tongue. Not overpowering at all, but present nonetheless.

6. VikeMan

Tea-like as in astringent or tea-like as in actually tastes like tea? "Evaporation from the tongue," though I've never heard it described that way, could be astringency from tannins. Do you happen to know if your water has a high pH?

7. DAllspaw

Slight astringency. I used drinking water, but the more I look at the color, it's definitely darker than it should be. I'm guessing I may have steeped at too high a temp.

8. VikeMan

Drinking water comes is lots of ion/alkalinity/pH profiles, but high pH combined with high steeping temps could explain it.

9. DAllspaw

thanks VikeMan, your posts are always very helpful, if light years ahead of where I am now, it's all coming together, batch by batch. Glad I take notes.

10. Naugled

Naugled Savant (490) New York Sep 25, 2007

How long has it been in conditioning?

11. Tebuken

Tebuken Savant (320) Argentina Jun 6, 2009

I don´t understand if this batch has been brewed using extracts or all-grain.If it were the latter I don´t think steeping grains at 160 F could lead to tannins extraction.This astringency could be due collecting wort with a Ph over 6 or collecting wort with a gravity less than 1008.

12. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I don't know any leprechaun jokes, but presumably, one characteristic of green beer would be the absoption of red and blue light. At least that's how it works with plants.

But seriously, yeast tends to clean up acetaldehyde with time. I've only had acetaldehyde issues 2-3 times, in bottled beers, and it goes away with a little bit more time, provided the yeast are active. Racking too early is typically the cause, and cold crashing too soon presumably would complicate the issue.

You'll probably lose some tannins with time due to particulate settling. Finings can speed this up. However, I don't usually associate tannins with green beer. My only tannin issue was with a pumpkin ale (my first and last); it took a dose of gelatin and an extra month of conditioning for me to get beyond the tannins so I could hate the rest of the beer.