1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Green Flash Opening East Coast Brewery in Virginia Beach?

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Hanzo, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

A local beer shop owner told me this yesterday and it floored me, Va Beach is the city I grew up in and live extremely close to. I know they were looking for an east coast location but didn't know they had picked a place. But apparently the building plans and location has been decided. The internet has failed me in providing info on this. Anyone know anything more?

I am told the facility will have a restaurant, beer garden, the works. I am very excited as I enjoy their beers.
  2. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Green Flash out of San Diego? Holy shit. If that's true, that'd be awesome. First I've heard of it, though.
    Lantern likes this.
  3. Question is will there be a GF East coast IPA?
  4. that would be awesome!
    Lantern likes this.
  5. Handle

Handle Savant (345) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Something wrong with Asheville?
    kexp, VncentLIFE, samtallica and 8 others like this.
  6. Why don't you shoot them an email and find out?
  7. Hanzo

Isn't everyone else and their brother opening breweries in Asheville? In Va Beach we are in desperate need for a world class brewery. (no offense to our local breweries)

I just assumed if I haven't found anything online that they probably haven't officially announced it yet and wouldn't tell me.
  8. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull Savant (290) Virginia Dec 15, 2011

holy shit this would be HUGE
    Lantern likes this.
  9. Handle

Handle Savant (345) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

That's what I was getting at -- just messing around!
    Hermthegerm, beerFool28607 and Hanzo like this.
  10. The Oct/Nov issue of Mid-Atlantic Homebrewing makes mention of this.

"Larger craft breweries are also alert to the demand for freshness. It's been reported that Green Flash Brewing Co. in San Diego will open an East Coast operation by 2015. Virginia Beach has been rumored as a possible site."
  11. Might as well change the name to that after not having any good WC IPA's since they upgraded their brewhouse - which really brings out the caramel/butterscotch flavor of carastan.
  12. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (200) California Aug 30, 2007

Yeah the state of the art 5 vessel 50bbl mueller brewhouse is so much worse than the 2 vessel 20bbl 20 year old brewhouse that they used to use.
    fmccormi likes this.
  13. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

Hopefully the increased capacity will let them start packing their IPA in 6 packs again!
  14. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (215) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

I had a dream they were going to pick somewhere in the 757. Awesome.
  15. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Aficionado (245) Texas Sep 22, 2006

Sweet! I grew up at the Beach as well, graduated from OLHS. It will be nice to have a beer garden in the VB area, rather than driving all the way to Birch Bar or the Bier Garden in Portsmouth when I'm visiting my family. I do wonder where specifically in the area they are looking at setting up shop?
  16. Nothing is wrong wiith Asheville. I LOVE Asheville. I've been telling my wife that we are retiring to Asheville.
    She used to to think I was kidding. Now she realized I am not. Jealous I am not there right now.

Back on topic, if this is true. (Green Flash brewing on the east coast) that is totally Awesome!
  17. I don't know... But I think that was more about pricing vs. capacity.
  18. Non metal related to NC; My favorite metal label, Comatose Music, is located in this fine state, and in my avatar you see the one man band, Bloodsoaked, is also from North Carolina! Lots of metal in those mountains!

And to the beer related. I do love Green Flash, as San Diego is my second home, and I am glad to see them expand here. I used to live in Northern Virginia myself, and in also related subject it seems of all the places I have lived or visited (43 states or so) I miss out on the craft movement. Either this was before I noticed or before I drank more serious...
  19. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (530) California Aug 11, 2007

That's great news. I really like Green Flash, should be cool for you guys to get their stuff super fresh.
  20. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Green Flash Palate Wrecker and West Cost IPA are amazing! Look forward to this.

Had a Green Flash "Friendship Ale" last night and wasn't impressed though!
    OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  21. <-----this guy right here is stoked on this news. although if they came just across the border to currituck it would be even better, but i do understand the attraction to VB for population
  22. that's a stupid idea. jersey would be brilliant, though.
  23. Head-high

Head-high Aficionado (140) Virginia Jun 15, 2012

Any more news on this?
  24. Palate Wrecker was my favorite beer of 2012, I can't freakin wait until I get my hands on the lastest release!
    BMitch and fmccormi like this.
  25. Yes! They'll be setting up shop out towards Oceana!
  26. montman

montman Aficionado (215) Virginia Mar 10, 2009

Cool news, my limited google skills couldn't find anything but glad to hear they are coming to the area.
  27. Supposed location is near General Booth Blvd and Damn Neck Blvd.....
  28. damn thats a great location to catch the oceanfront crowds and because i work on the dam neck base from time to time for my second job. now i have a place to stop after work :)
    Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  29. They won't be opening til 2015 but there is a decent local brewery off Dam Neck now (Beach brewing co.) I get my growler filled with "Hoptopus" quite often.
    May be worth a stop in!
  30. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

That would be great. Besides fresher bottles on the east coast, my wife is from Virginia Beach and her family is still there.
  31. I heard it'll be a little further south.. In Wilmington, NC.
  32. Heard the same. Rumor was that it was between VA Beach and Wilmington and the owner's wife fell in love with a house in Wilmington. Sounds like a done deal. ;)
  33. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Holy crap, like I need another reason to visit my home town. That would be sweet!
  34. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

a couple of their brewers were here in Richmond yesterday...
  35. Hanzo

Four hours south isn't really a little. Your state has enough good breweries, I am hoping what you are saying is not true.
  36. NC can never have enough good breweries. We hoard them. Muhahahahahaha!
    kell50 likes this.
  37. Hanzo

Seriously though, aren't you guys getting a Sierra Nevada soon, let us have this one!
  38. We are getting (got) Sierra Nevada new Belgium and Oskar blues! And Oskar blues Has already started Brewing Dale's pale ale.
  39. Hanzo

So leave us Green Flash ya greedy bastards :p
    Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  40. The proposed location in VB is the vacant lot behind IHOP on General Booth.
    Cubatobaco likes this.