1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Green Flash Silva Stout & Sleepin' With Shaggy

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by ChugLife, Jan 4, 2013.

1. ChugLife

ChugLife Aficionado (240) Colorado Aug 13, 2012

Haven't seen a post for this yet...

Just received the email today. The Release party is at Green Flash on January 28th. I will definitely be picking up a couple 4pks of the Silva Stout. That stuff is delicious!

cosmicevan and dimce like this.
  2. Silva Stout is back!? You just made my night!

3. ChugLife

I can't wait. Last time I had it was at the anniversary. I hope I can buy multiple 4pks

4. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Silva Stout is hands down the best stout I've ever had. I've been lucky enough to try it on-tap for 2011 Cleveland Beer Week and I found an aged bottle on the shelf (luckiest find ever). The chocolate notes are insane. I hope some manages to make its way to Ohio somehow, someway, like last time.

Silva Stout >>>

ChugLife likes this.
  5. huysmans

huysmans Savant (330) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

So this isn't brewery only?

6. claspada

claspada Advocate (640) New Jersey Sep 27, 2007

Can someone post the email here?

7. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

it's been posted on their event calendar: http://www.greenflashbrew.com/events-calendar.php?content=377

Silva Stout & Sleepin’ with Shaggy Release Party

Monday., January. 28, 2013

Join us as we celebrate the start of a New Year with a special bottle release event for our award winning Silva Stout (bourbon barrel aged stout) & the never before bottled Sleepin’ with Shaggy (brandy barrel aged Barleywine)

Tickets for this event are limited and all attendees will receive:

• Tastings of – Silva Stout, Sleepin’ with Shaggy, Little Freak, Super Freak & Flanders Drive
    • 2 perfectly paired dishes by Leroy’s Kitchen & Lounge
    • 1 x 4 pack of Silva Stout or Sleepin’ with Shaggy included and the option to add on a 4 pack of the other.
    • Commemorative 10th Anniversary Silva Stout & Sleepin’ with Shaggy glass

Silva Stout:
    Aging a minimum of 17 months in Bourbon Barrels transforms our Double Stout into a barrel-aged gem. Upon pouring, a black brew emerges with dark brown beer foam and the aromatics of dark chocolate covered bourbon cherries (if such a thing exists). The aromas carry through to the flavor, bourbon barrel enhanced stout having hints of cherry, vanilla, oak, dark chocolate, coffee, and roast barley. A full but not too heavy a body holds it all together for an elegant or even “Imperial” drinking experience. Silva Stout is named in honor of brewmaster Chuck Silva.

Sleepin with Shaggy:
    After spending 4 years in Brandy barrels it became time to unleash the dark monster within. Thick toffee aromatics exude with dense layers of fig, molasses, caramel, and a medley of dark fruits. Sweet flavors of toffee and caramel mingle with the warming spice of vanilla, sherry-like notes, and brandy barrel oak tannin. When served above 55 degrees Fahrenheit (highly recommended) more dark fruits like plum, date, raisin, and fig are further revealed. Our CEO/Founder Mike Hinkley has enjoyed pairing this Brandy Barrel Aged Barleywine with a big stuffed “Shaggy” dog that came from the local fair carnies and therefore we now have “Sleepin with Shaggy”.
    Cheers!

dianimal likes this.
  8. Well nobody will want this.

9. stawn

stawn Savant (325) California Sep 16, 2008

Wonder how the dog is tasting?

10. Man, I hope this isnt just another "San Diego only" release.

11. st9647v3

st9647v3 Advocate (665) New Jersey Dec 28, 2011

would love some silva stout...have Heady Topper to offer in exchange...

BM if anyone is interested in that sort of trade...

cheers!

12. alanc

alanc Aficionado (105) California Aug 13, 2009

If it was anything like Flanders dr. They will only release during the event. That one was 2 375ml with ticket and an option to buy 4 more 375ml for a total of a 6pk per ticket. When I purchased my ticket for the event you had to choose which 4pk you wanted included Silva OR shaggy. Each ticket will have the ability to purchase the other type 4pk for an additional 20 bucks more. To my knowledge a single ticket cannot get 2 4pks of the same. I will attempt, but am not too confident.

Cheers
    Alan

BlogueDeBieres likes this.
  13. alanc

Call me a homer, but Heady is not enough for this beer. During the first release you could buy a case for 85 bucks and I drank it with reckless abandon. Not this time. GABF metal and all. The benefit of being in San Diego, it will be on tap in select bars in the coming weeks. Silva seems to resurface with most GF events so bottles will be for the cellar. Good luck with your searching.

kneary13 likes this.
  14. alanc

Just looked, tickets are still available on eventbrite . Offer to pay for a mule as long as they send you the beer. 65.00.

15. st9647v3

st9647v3 Advocate (665) New Jersey Dec 28, 2011

Well, I have no doubt its phenomenal, thats why i would love to get one.

If anyone does happen to have any extras of silva stout or sleepin w/ shaggy...

I would make it worth you while.

Please keep me in mind.

Thanks and enjoy

16. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

Except me.

17. 1Adam12

1Adam12 Savant (310) Indiana May 6, 2011

ISO: both of these beers. Silva Stout is beyond fantastic.

ChugLife likes this.
  18. Me and the GF just bought tickets. She just so happens to hate Stouts and barley wines.

19. Can I pretrade with someone?

20. hafa

hafa Aspirant (30) California Jan 7, 2013

looking forward to this.

21. What size are the bottles?

22. 750ml.

jodan likes this.
  23. Then why are so many BAs miffed with the price? $65 for 4 750ml, food, tasters and a glass doesn't seem bad at all. I assumed it was a 4 pack of ~12oz bottles...

24. Dunno. Why are you asking me? I already bought my ticket. I'm already day dreaming about my 4 pack of 750s.

jgluck likes this.
  25. sil1

sil1 Aficionado (245) California May 19, 2012

Bottle size is 355 ml

26. sil1

Or 12 oz

27. sil1

Same as the last release

28. AndresR

AndresR Savant (255) California Jul 19, 2009

It's $85 out the door for (2) 4 packs of 12oz bottles. Yes that includes a few tasters, and a few small bites, but $85 for 8 bottles? What is this, Westy XII?

raymo55 likes this.
  29. Shaggy spent 4 years in the barrel and Silva almost two. I think it is no different than dropping $15 a bottle on things like abacus, the black butte series, abacus, parabola and every other barrel aged limited release. It breaks down to $10 a bottle plus you get the glass, tasters and some food. Not a bad deal in my mind.

dianimal and claspada like this.
  30. ChugLife

I completely agree. its pretty amazing.

31. ChugLife

No problem with price here. I will gladly pay $20 for a 4pk and $45 for a beer tasting event with food.

32. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

San Diego, here I come!!

33. emsjf

emsjf Initiate (0) Virginia Jan 3, 2012

Go Dukes!

34. millah

millah Aficionado (130) Minnesota Nov 22, 2008

Just had a bottle of this tonight, cellared at fridge temps, courtesy of tjmodica (thanks brother!) - this was AMAZING!!! Been a want for a long time and look forward to trying to trade for some - it definitely ranks up there with the best bourbon barrel aged stouts I've had....

35. sil1

This thing really on a Monday, sucks !

36. ChugLife

I must say.. Silva Stout this year is on point. Green Flash did a nice job with the party.

37. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Savant (390) California Mar 4, 2011

The party was great and the 'surprise' was even better =)

jibboom56 and ehammond1 like this.
  38. Shit did I miss the surprise?

39. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Savant (390) California Mar 4, 2011

Ha... not if you were there. By surprise I meant being able to walk out with a half case of each.

40. You have to wonder why they kept the true bottle allotments under wraps 'til the party. Anti-fusterclucking? Worst inventory guy ever?

Shaggy was pretty damn good and silva stout, though excellent, is a notch below the first batch bottles, which were more chocolatey and had a stronger bourbon presence.

That was a pretty paltry amount of food for whatever portion of the ticket was supposed to go towards that.

All in all, this was very worth while. Us aggrieved so cal folks have few opportunities to buy a case of high gravity BA 12 ouncers.

jibboom56 likes this.