1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Growing Hops

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by howopeeps, Apr 1, 2012.

1. howopeeps

howopeeps Aficionado (175) Ohio Mar 7, 2011

I am thinking about growing some hops this year. Live in NE Ohio any tips, advice

2. IHC

IHC Aficionado (130) Massachusetts Jul 16, 2010

Growinf hops is pretty easy. if you have e er grown anything before you should be alright. like most plants they take time patients and a little.common sense. google how to grow them and you will get a bunch of ideas. the only thing i would say is really.important is.giving them the proper place to climb and watering them very often the first year. dont give them a lot but try to give them.some.every day or every other day depending on your enviroment and.the type your trying to grow. I'm on my third year and i love it

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Please tell me you just posted that on your phone while driving because otherwise I think you are having a stroke.

4. Hops are easy to grow. Just Google "how to grow hops". Cascade is always a solid bet for a hardy hop.

5. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (320) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

Another thing that I would add is to plant different varieties at least ten feet apart. I learned this the hard way and had to dig up and transplant my willamettes this year to keep them from getting mixed up with my cascades 5 feet away. when I unearthed the roots they were as big around as my leg and had run at least 5 feet in every direction. and this is only their third year!
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture from last summer. Cascades on the left willamettes on the right. Way too close together!

6. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I am doing this too! I'm still an apartment-dweller, so I'm potting them. Starting off with medium pots (12") and transplanting the ones that take into bigger pots. I ordered them online at Freshhops, got some Cascade and some Centennial.