1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Growing Hops

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jhines18, Jun 20, 2013.

1. jhines18

jhines18 Disciple (55) New Mexico Jun 20, 2013

Hi, I live in Albuquerque (hot, high mountain desert) and started growing hops this year (cascade, centennial, nugget and willamette). My plants seemed to take off at first and then they stagnated; i.e., tons of growth in the first month to about 2 ft. high and then they just stopped. Am I doing something wrong? Any advice about growing hops in the desert? Thanks, Jarrett

2. Plant some Chinook...if they don't grow in the desert, nothing will. I'm at 4,000' and definitely desert. Throw some manure on them periodically, water well, plant on hills, and keep the spider mites at bay would be my advice.

hopdog09 and jhines18 like this.
  3. jhines18

Thanks

4. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (535) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

I had my Chinook do that to me the first year. What I did was get a 5 gallon bucket, put 2 scoops of compost into it, top off with water, let sit 1 week in the sun covered loosely. Take a qt jar and plunge it into the liquid until full, dump on hop mound while watering regularly. This should hit it with lots of good nutrients quickly. Do this every couple weeks. If you dilute it and spray it on the plants it helps as well and keeps most bugs at bay too. Give it a try and see how it works, it is much like GreenKrusty suggested with the manure on the mound, but I find it releases nutrients much quicker and if you hit it after a few days without water it should go straight to the roots.

jhines18 likes this.
  5. jhines18

Great suggestions. Thanks. Ill try it