1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Growler fever at beer stores, why?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by brewtus, Feb 7, 2013.

1. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

So is anyone else's city going through growler fever? In the last few months there was a shop opened that only sells pints and fills growlers (the daily growler, check it out). I haven't been yet but that concept is great. now every beer shop is installing taps, moreover they're all requiring that you use their branded growlers. Why do these bars think that this will make them more money?

I get it when they carry rare beers, keg-only, and special limited kegs but some of these beer stores are selling the same run-of-the-mill beer in growlers as they are in 6 packs.

Get better beer if you're going to do this and let me use my own growler.

This just confuses me, but can anyone explain it?
  2. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

If I went into a place with my own growler and they refused to fill it becuase it wasnt theirs, I would refuse to have it filled or ever go there again.
  3. Welcome to many states in the USA, including Massachusetts, Maine, Minnesota and North Carolina.
    leezy, KWMiles, Gatch and 2 others like this.
  4. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (235) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

We have a couple places like that here in AZ but I have never had an issue with them refusing to fill up my own personal growler. Good thing too as I prefer my flip top growler to the usual screw top most places provide. Have even brought my Stone brewery flip top in a few time with no issues.
    MilkManX likes this.
  5. I live in California. Our growler laws suck. I would welcome this option.
    litheum94 and blguillen like this.
  6. In NY, I've noticed more and more places having growler fills. Mostly the usual bottle shops, but there are a few supermarkets and even a few gas stations around here that are hopping on board. The supermarkets have decent beer, but nothing that I would probably bother with.
  7. So in Cali you're cool with pot, but a half gallon of beer raises eyebrows?
  8. Ouch. We have a lot of places around me now that are growler fill stations, luckily. And, the growler 'brand' doesn't matter one bit. I love it, my wallet doesn't.
    DrStiffington likes this.
  9. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

I would be OK with even adding a sticker to a generic growler so its "theirs".
    Gatch likes this.
  10. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

What's the problem, that they don't let you use your own growler or that their growlers are screw top?
    I suppose they charge you a deposit and you can return it and have your money back, right?
  11. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Law just changed in AZ so yes we are too.

Though, much to my happiness, local breweries could always do this in the past but now retailers can do it with imported & regional craft too - so guess what the boom has been in...? :)
  12. All I know is the bottle shops that have growler fills usually try to have beer that are not bottled (like Boneyard). With that said it's a nitch around here...
  13. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Given the laws in many states, you would refuse to do business with any growler-filling establishment, period.

In many places it's illegal to fill a growler that's not "theirs".
    BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  14. OMsweetOM

OMsweetOM Savant (330) California Feb 1, 2011

Though I live in regulation happy CA, it's always nice to visit OR where it's much easier to fill growlers. In fact, the best place in existence is The Growler Guys which operates out of a Shell Station and has 34 taps. They also have a bunch of local brewery growlers and growlettes in case you forgot your own.
    [​IMG]
  15. Love places to fill growlers. I got excited because the local Office advertised that they just started selling growlers, but then they told me the prices. Outrageously high and I'm used to paying high prices for growlers. Example: $34 for Brooklyn Monster, which is about $7.50 a 4 pack.
  16. While I may disagree, I can somewhat see the point of view with breweries only filling their own growlers.

I don't understand stores and bars though. Are they adding labels with he brewery and beer names? Or just selling more glass?
  17. plaid75

plaid75 Advocate (740) New York Jan 13, 2005

Duane Reade as well.
  18. The Office growler price is probably based on the price of four pints at the bar, as opposed to brewery or retail prices.
  19. shuajw

shuajw Savant (495) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

Atlanta seems to be going growler crazy, I have to assume it will come crashing down eventually. Especially since breweries or brw pubs can't do growler fills of their own beer. Outside of a few draft only Georgia beers, not really sure why anyone would bother with most of the growler fills I see. Across the board, everything is more expensive for a growler fill than just buying a 4-pack or 6-pack of the same beer. Some stuff the only comes in bombers might be cheaper in a growler, but who needs 64oz of Southern Tier Creme Brulee.
  20. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Perhaps the profit margin on growler selling certain kegs is better than reselling bottled beer? Perhaps the shop owners feel they need to add growlers to gain or keep from losing a competitive edge? Supply usually goes up in response to a recent growth in demand don't forget!
    misterid likes this.
  21. jmarce

jmarce Savant (320) Connecticut May 15, 2011

Yea I don't understand it at all for the run-of-the-mill stuff. A store I went to this past weekend had Lagunitas Sucks 64oz growlers for $12.99 a fill with a stack of 6 packs a few feet away for $12.49 a 6 pack. Why would I want to pay more $/oz and lose the convenience of being able to drink it 12oz at a time vs. 64oz at a time? Only time I buy growler fills is for stuff that isn't bottled or that I can't get fresh bottles of, otherwise it makes little sense to me. I'm guessing it must be better margins for the store on fills vs. bottles, otherwise why offer it?
    Centennial likes this.
  22. brewtus

Seems to be a novelty, jmarce you're right it's almost always more expensive for common beers and makes no sense.
  23. Growlers confuse me. The whole foods sells 32/64 oz. most times the per oz is more than the six pack I can buy there, sometimes not. I do like to buy things I can't get bottled. There is also a place up the road from the WF that has growler fills. They will fill any growler they told me. They are a bit expensive but I did fill a 32oz of enjoy by for $12. Hopslam is up coming so that could be good.

I would think kegs are less money so the tap beer in growlers should be less money or at least the same price per ounce

Enjoy
  24. Thats what I have found most places do. It's just a big label they put over to make everything kosher.
  25. For what it's worth, I'll usually only buy growlers of beers that are either not available in bottles in my area, or the growler fills are cheaper than the bottles. Also, a few breweries around here don't offer bottles IE: Crossroads
  26. Use of the store-only growler depends on the state. Look up the regs before you let an establishment tell you that they can only fill theirs because "it's the law."
  27. brewtus

Oh I'll welcome a growler of CBC bodhi any day until they start bottling it so I second that
  28. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

I have always had to but the growler anywhere i have gone
  29. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

Let me rephrase. I have always been able to use any growler from anywhere when i get a refill. However, I dont usually buy a growler unless I can t get the beer in a bottle
  30. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

I usually only get them on weekends when I'm going to a party/visiting folks and know we can finish a 64 oz in a night or two. The growler bars at my local bottle shops tend to have a bit more variation than is available in bottles. I have definitely noticed in my area of NY that the number of places featuring growlers has expanded.

Growlers do have some nice bonuses to them. They allow for a variety of pours, in case you don't want 12/24/36oz of something. Also, a fresh IPA poured from a fresh growler is a beautiful thing.
  31. I am pretty much over growlers. I'll get a growler if it's a growler-only beer (I'm mainly talking about NEBCO stuff here like FBD, Coriolis, Scrumtrulescent Saison, etc), otherwise I prefer to buy bottles/cans. Once you open a growler you have to drink 64oz of beer within one or two days, tops, before it drops right off the cliff. That's not always a good idea, or a realistic one, for me.
  32. That's illegal in AZ. It has been for a while and I think authorities were sort of turning a blind eye at places until they started cracking down. I remember Papago had to start only selling their own beer in their glass a few years ago.
  33. dhespelt

dhespelt Disciple (60) Dec 12, 2012

32 oz "growlitos" are great! perfect for a 1 person session.
    John1985 likes this.
  34. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Yeah, I am in the 'only getting a growler if it is draft only' camp. I can't see the point in getting something I can grab off the shelf in a less convenient and less shelf stable vessel to gain usually only a minimal taste advantage.
  35. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (235) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

That's strange cause I haven't had any issues with using my own flip top growler at a few liquor stores that fill growlers. Actually just got a growler filled last month no problem at a larger chain store. I will keep doing it until I get told "no they can't". Love my flip tops. I have heard that some laws changed recently, maybe it addressed this issue so its okay now?
  36. Possibly. Maybe its different for stores. I know this has been true for bars
    DinoFight likes this.
  37. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

, actually not true in Maine, I`ve never had a problem getting my federal jack`s growler refilled.
  38. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

because draft is better than canned/bottled?

and because the retailer gets a higher profit margin from growler sales?
  39. Growler fever at beer stores, why?

1- To be able to try beers that arent bottled or canned
    2 - Because its cool and eco friendly