1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Growler fever at beer stores, why?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by brewtus, Feb 7, 2013.

1. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

Some people, myself included, strongly prefer beers on draft. This goes especially for hoppy beers. I just love the way they pop. Plus, it's still a good price vs glasses of draft. You'd be lucky to find a sub-$6 pint of Sucks round these parts. Of course, fills are probably in the $18 and up range around here, too. If a place was selling, say growlers and sixers of GL Dortmunder Gold with the same kind of pricing differential, it wouldn't make much sense to get for me personally to get the growler.

In general, I usually only get growlers of draft-only stuff. ~90% of the fills I get are from local brewpubs and I don't get them very often. Usually just for tastings or parties.
  2. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Aficionado (205) Texas Jan 10, 2013

They probably get a better margin as well...
  3. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

in Alabama you can use any growler at any location so long as the Surgeon General's warning is on the container. Not a lot of places do growlers just now, but it's growing.
  4. jiboo22

jiboo22 Aficionado (210) New Jersey May 24, 2005

In nj most places will fill any growler but some offer a discount if you bring back "theirs"
  5. 3 - Because often stores manage to get a keg of something really special that normally isn't distributed.
  6. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

7. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

I believe I heard something about Ohio having a law of some sort requiring information from the place that filled it either on the glass or on a waterproof sticker. For some of these smaller or newer places I can see it being a bit annoying having to spend the money on that when they also just bought a few pallets of their own glass. Also, Daily Growler uses a different cap type and swaps out for a clean disinfected glass when you return.

As far as "boring beers" I would think it has something to do with the whole "sell more of this and we'll give you more limited kegs".

That said it seems like everywhere in Columbus does growlers now and aside from Bodhi at CBC and the occasional trip out to Daily Growler I couldn't really care less. A few weeks ago the misses told me she went in a gas station out by Polaris and they had a station.
  8. I wouldn't be too worried. I don't think it's anything YOU'D get in trouble for. Just not good on the brewery.
  9. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (325) Florida Jan 26, 2012

serious question, may be dumb but..... is a freshly tapped keg that's 3 months old gonna be any better than a 3 month old bottle or can?
  10. Come down to Brewster and go to DeCicco's. I'm sure you've read about it somewhere on BA.
  11. Stole my post. Good job.
  12. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Yeah, I see your point, after re-reading the law, it makes me think that the brewery is saving us money by letting us use our own growlers, but I'd rather not see that brewery get in trouble.
  13. Depends on what you mean by "better". Less oxidized, probably, and generally, I would guess that a keg is more likely to have been stored properly.
  14. RyFikes

RyFikes Savant (280) New York Jan 3, 2013

Unless I'm tailgating, going to a party, or coming from a brewery I do not bother with growlers. I don't know how it is everywhere else, but here in Buffalo a growler (~5 beers) is generally more expensive than a six pack of the same beer. Throw in the fact that once you open the growler you have about a day to drink it before your beer goes flat; I just don't see point in it most the time.
  15. I only get growlers fills at the Tap house. Extra fresh is good.
    Otherwise...nah
  16. abkayak

abkayak Savant (330) New York Jan 8, 2013

cause growlers are as much fun as a box of puppies
  17. jminch

jminch Savant (340) Ohio Jul 17, 2011

I've been to The Daily Growler in Columbus once and was happy with everything, now I check their menu every other day or so to see what is available. One thing that is driving me nuts is that the prices seem to keep rising. I remember Bohdi being $11 when they opened a great deal, now when I see it it's $16 or $17. Ok, I can't get that in bottles (yet) I may pay that, but last week they had Lagunitas Sucks for $16 and today Columbus IPA for $12. A six pack at the grocery is $9.99 and $8.99, so why in the world would ANYONE pay so much of a premium, when you get more beer for less money from a six pack?
  18. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (500) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

Growlers are getting big here in WI, 3 places in the past 3 months I know of are either opening up or adding them to their lineup.
  19. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (500) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

Knowing the breweries you have in CA I refuse to feel bad for you. :)
    EyePeeAyBryan and luisc123 like this.
  20. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

I more frequently had microbreweries in AZ refuse to fill a growler from another place, and it was illegal with the older laws in place on growlers here. As a result we ended up with about 20 growler bottles. The new law just needs to have the etching or sticker in place on the standard cautionary legal statement. I often shop for that evenings meal and enjoy picking up a fresh beer of something that is not on draft at my house. In the past a whole keg of something like Triple Karmelite would melt an entire week of our lives away before it was done, and with growlers I can just have some for today without all the bottles to get rid of. Even everyday beers are nice to have in a growler when I have a trapped monster like Palate Wrecker or some other imperial in the beer fridge threatening us night after night.
  21. Finn18

Finn18 Aspirant (45) Georgia Oct 24, 2012

In GA each city has to approve the sales individually, and they were legalized about 6 months ago in most places. Only Atlanta, Alpharetta, and Roswell have growler shops as far as I know. I visited one, and it had some rare local brews, but some were as much as $25 for a 32 oz. Due to local laws, they can't sell anything that isn't in an "Original Container", meaning that you have to use the store-branded growler, and they must give you a new one every time. Most will let you "trade" another store's growlers for one of their own for free.

Still, I prefer my six packs for most beers, and I won't buy a growler unless it is a growler-only beer.
  22. gabeerfan

gabeerfan Savant (370) Georgia Feb 27, 2006

Growler shops are popping up with alarming regularity all over from Peachtree City to Canton. Georgia's growler laws have not significantly changed in probably 30+ years. It's only been in the last 2-ish years that businesses have used this law to their advantage.
    The cities only have to approve growler sales if their current ordinances specifically don't allow growler sales. Otherwise, it's just like getting a retail beer (wine/liquor) license.
    The "store-branded" growler thing got interpreted differently pretty quick. At first, using only that stores growlers was how everyone was operating. But now, it doesn't really matter as long as it has the Surgeon General warning and it has some brand on it. Individual stores my not fill other store's growlers, but it's solely their discretion, not the law's.
    Most places also give you a new growler only for convenience, not the law. A couple of places will rinse, sanitize and reuse whatever growler you bring in. The places that replace another store's growlers with their own are committing theft as far as I'm concerned. Taking your property and replacing it with their own solely for marketing purposes.
    The big upside to our growler situation in GA is that many of the new breweries popping up are not bottling right away, so there's almost always something on someone's list that can't be purchased in bottles.

23. Does this mean they clean them out and re use them or toss them?

Enjoy
  24. I would hope that on a website dedicated to our favorite, tasty and legal (because its easily taxable) drug, there wouldn't be a bias against another drug which is far less damaging in basically any metric you can come up with
    nicholasofcusa likes this.
  25. In North Carolina you are only allowed growler fills from breweries, and they must be in the breweries own growler....
  26. Man, some of ya'lls state restrictions suck hardcore. We just can use any growler, anywhere.