1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Growler Fills Portland

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Pwnzilla, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Im heading to Portland next weekend and wondering if any beer stores/bars/breweries fill growlers by counter pressure. Thanks for any help
  2. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Lots of places sell/fill growlers, but I honestly can't think of a single place that uses a counter-pressure filler.
  3. I can't think of one either. Why are you looking for a place that fills growlers by counter pressure?
  4. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Aficionado (225) Oregon May 17, 2010

Cascade and Double Mountain do. Only ones I can think of of the top of my head.
    djbreezy likes this.
  5. I want to send a growler to a friend but it won't be for about a month. Just want to make sure it will last and be enjoyable. We have a place locally that does and I've had a growler from them last 5 weeks with no issues. I'm sure it could have went longer too. Thanks for the help too. Casacde was a for sure stop for me anyway.
  6. maltmaster420

Does Cascade fill growlers of the sour stuff, or just the IPAs and whatnot?
  7. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

They don't do growler fills of the sours, the one exception being the Cranberry, which they did grenade fills of when it was around.
  8. maltmaster420

Ah. In that case, it seems kind of pointless since most of their NW-style ales are sort of run of the mill.

To the OP: You may be better off just buying some bottles, unless there's something really spectacular that you can't find pre-packaged. I'm struggling to think of something that's a) considerably better than the bottled stuff you can find, b) available in growlers, and c) able to handle 4-6 weeks of storage. There's plenty of tasty IPAs and hoppy beers available in growlers, but even with a counter-pressure filled growler they'd be fading by the time your buddy gets to drink them.

Another course of action just occurred to me: meet up with a local BA while you're here, hand off a growler to them along with money (or beer) to cover the cost of the brew, and have them fill it and ship it to your friend in a month or so.
  9. Well deep down I was hoping for a fill of Abyss but I know that's reaching for the stars. I will be grabbing some bottles and they would be happy with anything I send their way. Our beer store here offers a lot of great selections just dreaming that something out of this world might be available down there for a fill. I'll take my time and do the research before heading down but I plan to stop at all the great spots regardless. Thanks for everyone's help and tips.

Cheers
  10. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

11. And I still sometimes wish I'd simply splurged and got one when we were there. *sigh*

*saunters off back to her less-than-thrilling CNY threads*
  12. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Aficionado (225) Oregon May 17, 2010

Cranberry is still on their taplist, so I'm guessing that the grenades are still available. They are/were $24 for 32oz.
  13. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

I was there yesterday and they are on their last keg of Cranberry actually. They do the Razberry to go as well but if you ask me it is their worst (least sour) brew out of the sours.
  14. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

I never really thought Razberry was considered a sour ale. It's just a fruity wheat where most of the, if any, tartness comes from the fruit. Not extended aging with lacto and blending like their sour ales.
    Mahlik and djbreezy like this.
  15. Oh how I miss the days of 17$ growler fills of their sours at the Racoon Lodge before the barrel house existed. I pretty much always had some Mouton Rouge in the fridge because of that.
  16. Sadly, I'm on the other coast. I was just visiting the last week of March, but seriously contemplated purchasing a grenade and shipping it to myself. Just because I miss being close to Cascade so much.

Also . . . :eek: (How cute is that little emoticon?) $17 growler fills of Cascade sours?! *thud*
  17. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Well, should you decide you need a grenade of Cranberry I can likely help you out ;)

While part of me wishes they did growlers it would just mean the beer would blow that much quicker and I think it's better to give more people the opportunity to try it. When kegs show up here in Seattle a bunch of places will do growler fills though I think they run 30+.
  18. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

I hope they never do growlers of the sour beers. I like being able to go to the taproom and actually have a chance to try things in my own town. I don't want to compete with a bunch of selfish people who are trying to trade and ship it across country so they can tick another bottle off the list. The bottle release scene for HOTD and Cascade are bad enough...
  19. Wow I thought I was doing a good thing by taking care of my regular traders. Im not even getting anything in return its a birthday box for him.
  20. djbreezy

This wasn't a jab at you. I was just making a broad sweep about growler fills there. Sorry, didn't mean to come off as a jerk or anything. :(
  21. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Shrug. I would agree with this statement if I was certain that Cascade would start to routinely run out of their sour beers if they started selling growler fills. However, they always seem to have at leaset 5 or 6 sours on tap whenever I stop by (currently I believe they're pouring 10), not including a couple of cask beers on tap (which are often sours). During OBF last year, they opened up their barrel room and offered some additional sour beers during the festival. I also noticed that recently they started to offer a blenders reserve line-up, and some of those are often sours.

My point being that I'm not entirely sure that lack of sour inventory is the reason they don't offer growler fills of their sour beers. I was told at one point that if they did offer growler fills, they would probably have to sell them for around $30 a pop (which I gather they felt was prohibitively expensive). Instead, they sell 8 ounce pours for $5 or $6 a pop. I may be wrong about this, but the thought has crossed my mind that the decision not to sell growlers at the barrel room may be simply a financial one.
  22. djbreezy

That's understandable. The logic makes sense.
  23. maltmaster420

Well, they certainly have no qualms about charging $20 for a 750ml ($.80/oz) bottle of their beer, so $30 for a growler ($.47/oz) would actually be a significant savings over the bottle prices. If anything, I'd wager that the decision not to sell growlers was made so as not to devalue and/or cannibalize sales of their bottled offerings.
    djbreezy likes this.