1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Growler Fills

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by ChanceK, Sep 6, 2012.

1. ChanceK

ChanceK Member

What's the deal with this? I'm new to craft and I heard about this on a different post. So you can just take in an empty growler to places and they fill it up? Who does this in the San Antonio area?
  2. jbeezification

jbeezification Member

I can't speak for San Antonio but yes, a lot of craft beer bars allow growler fills. Its common and awesome. Also, usually it's cheaper than the price of drinking a few pints.
  3. ChanceK

ChanceK Member

What about bars / beer shops / certain supermarkets? Can growler fills be done there?
  4. paulys55

paulys55 Member

Yep, beer to go. Some places will only fill their own growlers and some states have strange laws about them but most will fill any growler as long as it is of a standard size. Once you open it, drink it that night or the next day and even that next day it may not be so great.
  5. champ103

champ103 Member

If the certain establishment has the right permits, then they can sell growlers to go. In San Antonio, I know Freetail will fill any growler you bring in.
  6. jbeezification

jbeezification Member

Whole Foods Market is the only grocery store I know that does growler fills. Reasonably priced also and they usually feature local beers.
  7. kmello69

kmello69 Member

Yup. I got a growler of Franklins BBQ Smoked Porter at WF Bee Caves the other day. $12 for 64 oz
  8. Azzy

Azzy Member

An establishment with a beer and wine license can fill growlers. In Houston I know Hay Merchant, Whole Foods, and Petrol Station fill growlers, Premium Draught will be filling up growlers soon too.
  9. Grendle

Grendle Member

In San Antonio I typically get my growler fills at Freetails and Alamo Drafthouse. FYI, Alamo Drafthouse just fills up their growler. While Freetails is more cool and doesn't require you just use their growler.
  10. eerickson7

eerickson7 Member

In Dallas, World Beer Company declined to fill my plain, unmarked growler. Apparently a gov't warning label is required. If this is indeed the law, I'm not sure how as a business owner you allow yourself to run out of warning label stickers. The profit margin on the one growler fill will pay for a pantload of warning stickers.

Are you guys getting any old growlers filled at the above locales, or just growlers originally purchased at said retailers?
  11. kmello69

kmello69 Member

It depends on the place, and whether it has the warning on the bottle or not. The growler I bought at Whole Foods has the warning printed right on the bottle, so it should be good to use anywhere. I know some places will only fill their own growler, but most places seem to be pretty cool about filling anything - the sale is what's important, not selling growlers, I'd think.
  12. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Member

Freetail, Blue Star, and Alamo Drafthouse are currently the only places that I'm aware of that fill growlers. The new Whole Foods by Stone Oak may do it since they'll apparently have draft beer available, but I don't know that for sure.
  13. kmello69

kmello69 Member

While this topic is up, I was wondering if we could put together a list of places in the Austin area that do growler fills. I know a few, but I'm sure there are a lot I dont know. I'll start:

Whole Foods, Whip In, Draught House, Black Star, Flix Brewhouse - where else?
  14. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Member

Does anywhere in Houston have Live Oak Hefe on tap for growler fills? I know Hay Merchant almost always has it but they are out currently. Need it for a trade...
  15. jl28r1

jl28r1 Member

Any idea when it will open?
  16. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Member

Within the next two weeks if I'm not mistaken.
  17. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

I was going to say Down House, but they can't growler fill.

Can Ginger Man? They usually have it.
  18. Erik

Erik Member

I got one from D&Q not too long ago, but I don't think he's received his permits yet to start filling them again.
  19. kevinscott

kevinscott Member

I believe Billy's on Burnet has in the past. Uncle Billy's will fill growlers of their house beers. In.Gredients, a new packaging free grocery store on the East Side fills growlers. I've heard of Thunderbird Coffee filling growlers too.
  20. jamescain

jamescain Member

Hopfields in Austin fills growlers I think.
  21. champ103

champ103 Member

Gingerman does not fill growlers. Check back at Hay Merchant in a few days, or check Whole Foods on Waugh Drive. They usually have a good selection for growlers and I have seen Live Oak their on occasion. Not sure if they do now though? Also give Kahn's Deli a try in Rice Village. They do growlers, but not sure if they have Live Oak right now either. I can't wait for Premium Draught to open in the Heights.

Edit, meant to reply to Will...
  22. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Member

Yeah I thought it was a sure thing that Hay Merchant had Live Oak Hefe on all the time. I guess the 100+ degree weather we have had lately has driven up the demand! The bartender I talked to last weekend said they get shipments on Monday and Friday. Monday passed with no restock, so hopefully it will be back this weekend.
  23. boogercrack

boogercrack Member

are there any places in houston that charge by the ounce? i've got a few 750mL HF growlers i've thought about getting fills on to try some things out, but don't want to pay for a 32oz price, for ~3/4th the beer.
  24. jwff

jwff Member

25. Grendle

Grendle Member

Let me make sure I got this right... Within the next 2-3 weeks Whole Foods in SA will do growler fills?
  26. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

They fill
  27. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Member

Yeah I got a 32 oz fill of Gingerbread Stout at Rockwell. They charged me $20, so I havent gone back for a fill since I thought that was way too high. I have been back numerous times for burgers and beers though :)
  28. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Member

No, within the next 2-3 weeks there will be a new WF location opening near Gabriel's that might do growler fills.
  29. Grendle

Grendle Member

Great! Even more closer to my house and I pray for growler fills. In other locations where WF's does growler fills. How many options do they typically have and what do they tradtionally carry?
  30. kmello69

kmello69 Member

The ones in Austin have about 6-10 options, and tend to have some locals and special releases when available.

As an example, here's whats on tap at the WF in Bee Caves right now (taken from the Taplister web site, where you can check other taps as well)

Avery Anniversary Nineteen Sep 05 09:06AM RB
    Brooklyn Fiat Lux Sep 05 09:09AM RB
    Fox Barrel Blackberry Pear Cider Sep 04 08:31PM
    HeBrew Bittersweet Lennys R.I.P.A Sep 04 08:32PM RB
    New Belgium Lips of Faith - Cocoa Mole Aug 27 10:19PM RB
    North Coast Scrimshaw Sep 04 08:26PM RB
    Ranger Creek Small Batch Series No. 2 Sep 04 08:24PM RB
    Stone 16th Anniversary IPA Sep 04 08:36PM RB
    Thirsty Planet Franklin (BBQ) Smoked Porter Sep 04 08:29PM RB
    Thirsty Planet Yellow Armadillo Wheat Sep 04 08:30PM RB
  31. Lutter

Lutter Member

Cocoa Mole? Why didn't someone tell me they had Cocoa Mole! I most definitely would've driven out to Bee Caves for a growler of that!
  32. turfy

turfy Member

I just got denied a fill of my ceramic flip top growler at Harvey Washbangers in College Station. My previous two visits did not present a problem, but this time the dick- in -charge says they only fill "their" growlers, a cheap generic bottle with a mustard jar type screw cap and a purchase price of $15. They said that is the standard practice at all bars, which is BS since I've gotten this same growler filled at Hay Merchant, Freetail, etc. Needless to say, I won't be leaving any more money there.
  33. kingharvester06

kingharvester06 Member

Uncle Billy's fills growlers at both locations. Same price for almost all beers.
  34. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Member

If it aint at least 64oz, isnt it really just an oversized pint glass? ;)
    slimchill likes this.
  35. Azzy

Azzy Member

Hay Merchant once charged me $32 for a growler fill, I forget what beer it was, but after that I have just stuck to petrol station.
  36. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Member

Yikes! I thought NxNw 25 dollar fill was big!
  37. bbadger

bbadger Member

The highest growler price I have heard was >$70 for barley john's dark knight (in the Twin Cities). Fantastic beer, but that was too steep.
  38. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

Hay Merchant has the Live Oak Hefe back on.
    canadianghetto likes this.
  39. wsnich

wsnich Member

Had the same situation with a growler fill of Hopadillo and haven't been back. Petrol and WF are the only places I fill growlers now.
    jbeezification likes this.
  40. dancingbearpub

dancingbearpub Member

We fill growlers all day long. If it's semi-clean and seals, bring it in!