1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Growler Room (Austin)

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by kmello69, Mar 1, 2013.

1. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

So somehow I missed ever hearing that this place was even opening, but apparently they threw the doors open today. Anyone know anything about it?

Lineup seems a little tame so far, but its nice to see another growler-focused spot opening in Austin. Interested to see what the prices look like.

Right now, looks like only a Facebook page HERE

HighWine likes this.
  2. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

That tap list seems legit. Any place with 512, Live Oak, and Real Ale Wee Heavy is pretty damn good in my book. Growlers or not.

3. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Apparently this store is also the retail outlet for pubglasses.com and steins.com. They do personalized logo and laser-etched glasses.

4. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

I was impressed with the cascabel and texas honey ale to start out. Those are huge draws.

5. Cablejelly

Just got back a little while ago. Not the official opening yet but pretty steady stream of people in/out already. Great people! Prices are great imo. The growler pictured on their FB page is $25 (you can get it blank or have something etched on it - I opted for their logo). Prices are $11 - $13.50 for a 2 liter fill (67.628 oz) which is fantastic since some places will do 4x the on prem pint price and even Whole Foods is $6 - $7 /liter I think (in dallas is it at least). If you're in the area, check it out! Cascabel and Live Oak Hefe are going quick...

6. kmello69

Awesome. Might have to go check them out tomorrow!

7. Cablejelly

This might be a "duh" for some and a relief for others: They will fill any growler you bring in. I say that because I have known and heard of places that will only fill their own growlers. Regardless of the current state of your growler, they will wash, sanitize, and rinse it prior to filling... again "duh" but I've known of places that send you home with growlers that explode in your fridge ;)

blatherbeard likes this.
  8. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Apple Brandy Hunahpu?

9. Lutter

This place is badass. I went in today since I had to go up north to take care of some wedding stuff...

They have a ton of glasses, growlers, steins, signs, flags, etc... most of the breweriana is German and Irish (Guinness) right now, but they're trying to get local merchandise and glasses from breweries.

Growler fills are priced the best in Austin I've seen. They also have a "Happy Hour" from 5-7 where fills are $1 off ($0.50 for 32oz). They've got Real Ale on special for $2 off this week as well ($1 off 32oz fills). All 32oz fills are 1/2 price of 64oz fills. Here's what they have right now w/ prices from Facebook. They're nice guys who know their stuff as well... So let's drain them kegs, boys!

From their Facebook....
    $13.50 512 IPA, Pecan Porter, Cascabel Cream Stout
    $12 Live Oak Hefeweizen
    $12 Real Ale Lost Gold IPA, Devil's Backbone, Wee Heavy, Phoenixx ESB
    $11.50 Alaskan Brewing Black IPA
    $11.50 Oskar Blues Yella Pils
    $12 Guadalupe Brewing Honey Ale
    $12 Guadalupe Brewing Scotch Ale
    $12 Hops & Grain Pale Dog
    $12 Thirsty Planet Dillo, Thirsty Goat
    $11 Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan

Cascabel was $6.25 for 32oz because it was Happy Hour. Can't beat that!

PS: They're also a FedEx Authorized shipping center. Apparently the only beer store in the country that can send packages.

10. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

hOly shite. i paid that or more for a pint of cascabel.

nice for all!

and its on my way home from work. now i have pinthouse, billys on burnet, this place for growlers and kings for bottles.

I might keep my att job now.

11. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Must go there. I obviously need 2L growlers full of Cascabel and Live Oak Hef.

Obviously.

12. Cablejelly

2l growler of cascabel works great in my house tbh and you can always go for the 1l option...

13. Lutter

The problem with 64oz/2L growlers that if I have them... I feel the need to drink them all at once, lol. I need to get some more 32oz growlers.

They really seemed to like my ABW Sputnik growler and are interested in selling aluminum growlers (which are my personal preference).

blatherbeard likes this.
  14. Cablejelly

Sean showed me an aluminum growler when I was there so they have some. I love their 32oz growlers but for $5 more I'd rather have the 64. But that's 2 of us who can vouch for how fantastic and promising this place looks and Dean & Sean are good people. Go drain some kegs people, I think there's some amazing stuff waiting to be tapped... Just need to clear some room. :D

15. Lutter

Let's just say that they've got something to go with those (512) WBADPP bottles he got today and leave it at that.

Motivated yet? ;)

16. Cablejelly

It wasn't today, you're just late to the party ;)

17. Lutter

Apparently I wasn't THAT late. They still had half a case. It was going pretty quick (probably since they posted it to Facebook)

18. Cablejelly

Yeah, was unknown until they posted. Arrived a few days earlier but I don't steal thunder, especially when asked.

19. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

I'm more enthused about good pricing on Cascabel growlers. That's a beer I'd buy the ever-loving crap out of if it were bottled/canned.

20. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (335) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Definitely. It needs to become a year round beer.

21. tigrstylz

tigrstylz Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 10, 2012

Do they post their beer list anywhere? I'm assuming that the FB pictures of the board are current? I hate to drive from San Marcos and not know.

22. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (335) Texas Oct 21, 2008

They seem to update their Facebook and twitter accounts regularly.

23. Cablejelly

Most recent update is 03/05

Description
    On tap updated 3/5. Prices shown are for 64 oz fill. 32 oz fills are half of price shown. Sales tax not included in price shown

$13.50 512 IPA, Pecan Porter, Cascabel Cream Stout
    $12 Live Oak Hefeweizen
    $12 Real Ale Lost Gold IPA, Devil's Backbone, Wee Heavy, Phoenixx ESB
    $11.50 Alaskan Brewing Black IPA
    $11.50 Oskar Blues Yella Pils

(512) 458-4438 - I'd call to check before heading up.

24. kmello69

I'd like to see something a little more recent than 3/5 (being that that was 10 days ago), unless nothing has changed since then.

I REALLY need to get down to this place soon!

25. Lutter

Those were the same taps as when I was there yesterday.

26. Cablejelly

Yes you do.

27. kmello69

Tomorrow might be the day

28. Cablejelly

You bring a bottle, I'll bring a bottle, we'll find a 3rd and make it an unofficial bottle share! :cool:

29. corbey

corbey Aficionado (170) Texas Oct 22, 2006

Great place, and it's in my neighborhood! Went there today and got a liter of Cascabel, a liter of Hefe, and their last bottle of 512 Double Pecan.

30. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Bottles bottles everywhere and i get off to late to snag em!!

so i sense a meetup here.

Ken, cable, me if i remember to bring a few of the growlers i have in my closet to work......

31. kmello69

Just tell me when and where, and I'll gladly meet you boys for some beers.

32. Cablejelly

On tap updated 3/17. Prices shown are for 64 oz fill. 32 oz fills are half of price shown. Sales tax not included in price shown. Happy Hour 5-7p daily

$10 Real Ale Lost Gold IPA, Devil's Backbone, Wee Heavy, Phoenixx ESB
    $11.5 Alaskan Brewing Black IPA
    $11.5 Oskar Blues Yella Pils
    $12 Live Oak Hefeweizen
    $13.5 512 IPA, Pecan Porter, Cascabel Cream Stout

33. Cablejelly

Happy hour = $1 off a 2L (64oz) fill. I just sampled the Guadalupe Scotch Ale and it's something unique. Not peaty or dirty like I like my scotch ales but there's certainly a vanilla, almost faint bourbon barrel hint there. Pretty friggin awesome imo.

34. tigrstylz

tigrstylz Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 10, 2012

Thanks, good prices too.