1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Growler Saver vs. TapIt Cap: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by millionsuns, Apr 24, 2013.

1. millionsuns

millionsuns Member

BourbonJersey and Centennial like this.
  2. geocool

geocool Member

Looks like they both rely on the growler's screw-top threading, so neither will work on growlers with different threading, or on swing-top growlers. Also, it would be nice if you could use one device to preserve multiple growlers, not just one at a time. Back to the drawing board.
  3. millionsuns

millionsuns Member

Truth. I almost exclusively use the screw tops, so not much of a biggie for me. But good point.
  4. Giantspace

Giantspace Member

I finish my growlers so I will never back either of these. 32oz growlers are easy to finish alone. I wont buy a 64 if I am not sharing it. Actually I pretty much stopped buying growlers since they always cost more money than the same 4/6 pack. Crazy. They should cost less per oz.

Enjoy
  5. inchrisin

inchrisin Member

Local microbreweries usually don't sell bottles, son.
  6. flexabull

flexabull Member

Both look interesting, I think whichever ends up being more inexpensive would win out for me. Though I am kind of digging the "tap it" idea because you wouldn't have to keep opening and closing the growler.

I almost always share my growlers and finish them once they open. But I wouldn't mind having one of these around for those times that I can't get to a growler within a few days of purchase.
  7. AustinM

AustinM Member

My local beerspot growlers are always way cheaper as it should be. Your place is just ripping you off
  8. brycevolk

brycevolk Member

Steve is a great guy. He's Centennial on here. Growler Saver FTW!
    cavedave, RCM505 and Gosox8787 like this.
  9. nsheehan

nsheehan Member

The Growler Saver says it has adapters for swing top, and TapIt says they want to develop one.

What is the point of saving multiple growlers on one device if you can just buy multiple of these? A multi-growler device will cost more (I'll admit it might cost less per growler saved), be more complicated (and prone to problems), and severely restrict where you can store the growlers (e.g. instead of one on each shelf of a fridge you'd have to organize them to fit in the same spot, or have a large and unwieldy device).

A concern of TapIt cap should be possible TM stuff due to the Tap It brewing co (SLO, CA).

EDIT: Both videos are pretty cool, but there are no clear performance specs for Tap It cap. Strong on marketing, lacking in other details. I like that Growler Saver shows it can perform.
    mythaeus and Centennial like this.
  10. beesy

beesy Member

The concern I have with both products is pressurizing the growlers. Anyone have any links to data from sort of actual testing facility on psi a growler can safely handle?
  11. cmannes

cmannes Member

rfgetz likes this.
  12. geocool

geocool Member

You're picturing that multiple growlers would have to be all hooked up to CO2 at the same time. I'm picturing one CO2 injector and multiple caps. Once the O2 is purged and the growler is pressurized, there is no need to keep it attached to the CO2 (unless you're trying to recarbonate flat beer).
    Tacoboomerang and Centennial like this.
  13. deezy23

deezy23 Member

I clean enough serving line as it is from the keezer; Growler saver is my pick. I'm actually a backer and think he said a new video would be posted today answering more questions or showing new features
    Centennial likes this.
  14. Giantspace

Giantspace Member

Thanx for the info, Son
  15. Sam21

Sam21 Member

I spoke to the developer of the Growler Saver - he has prototype adapters that will allow it to be hooked to different types of growlers, e.g. 32oz stubby growlers, 32oz long necks, etc. He is going to try and keep the price under $10. In general, the growler saver seems like a great little took for those that use growlers a lot. That said, I ended up supporting the kickstarter simply because it's a cool idea and I would definitely find ways to use it.
    Centennial likes this.
  16. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Member

Well, TapIt Cap has been funded and the Growler Saver needs $16,544 in 9 days. So, it seems that you might have backed the wrong one. However, I think both are great ideas and each one is attempting to do something different, pressurize a growler vs. turn a growler into a tap/mini-keg.

This is like a fancy version of the TapIt Cap. The advantage to TapIt Cap is only that it works with existing growlers. Shiny is nice.
  17. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Member

Neither. Drink the growler and if 4 pints is too much for one sitting, find a friend and share.
  18. Michigan

Michigan Member

I share a similar feeling. The Tap-It cap seems like a lot of work for four pints. I only buy growlers if i plant to share them.
  19. whiskey

whiskey Member

Yep.

Although that Tap it cap would be cool if they made 1 gallon growlers. That would be like a mini keg of whatever was cool on tap at the local alehouse/brewery.
  20. Sam21

Sam21 Member

The TapIt was funded a while ago - so my options were limited.
  21. Centennial

Centennial Member

No need to keep it attached to re-carbonate either. Also you can purchase a two caps with one injector or even 4 caps with one injector so you can open up that many growlers at the same time and enjoy at your own pace.

Some pro's of the Growler Saver include:

• Pre- purging oxygen prior to new growler fills
    • Ability to manually purge the oxygen after opening the growler
    • Re-carbonating still/flat beer or poor growler fills (think of those bottles everyone complains about)
    • Carbonating your home brew in just a few days time
    • Monitoring the psi level inside the growler for style specific carbonation
    • Compact sized, built to last a lifetime and easy to clean, use and store (fits in your pocket, and no lines to clean or disassembly required)
    • The Growler Saver be shipped in June even if kickstarter is not funded it will still be sold after.
    • Dry hopping in a growler
    • Adapters for other growler styles
    • Saving bottles after a tasting
    • Documented proof that it works
  22. Jwale73

Jwale73 Member

The Growler Saver is a nice product, but it doesn't dispense, so you have to remove the cap to pour, whereas the TapIt cap has the dispenser integrated into the design. That was the big selling point for me.
  23. Sam21

Sam21 Member

This is true, but I don't think you need to be resealing the growler with the Saver cap every time you open it if you are drinking it over the course of an afternoon. It's really for saving it over days, so if you open it twice and have two glasses in an afternoon, saver cap it, and then open it again the next day or whenever - it's minimal work. That said, both are great products!
    Centennial likes this.
  24. Centennial

Centennial Member

There was a few early prototype versions of the GS a few years ago that had a picnic tap directly attached and another one with a hose, but the feedback of the testing groups determined the pros of not opening it did not outweigh the cons vs. the size and ease of cleaning and additional uses. No one liked having to maintain and deal with a huge contraption, and most people said they would not want something that bulky in the fridge, so the design was streamlined and then was able to incorporated all of the extra uses mentioned. If you drink Coors light and want to show off at a party, you might want a tap, but for the awesome beers ba's drink, including myself, It's less complicated to just open and pour them.
  25. Beeradelphia

Beeradelphia Member

As a bartender and home kegerator user I know how much of a pain it is to keep all those taps running properly. There are a lot of moving parts that require specific cleaning and have a certain length of life to them.

To properly clean a tap system or Tap-It cap you must disassemble the entire thing, take the washers off, clean everything with brushes and soak in a sanitizing solution. That's a lot of moving parts and inevitably you're going to have to replace some of them pretty quickly depending on how much use and care they get.

With the Growler Saver all you have to do is remove the one easily accessible rubber washer, and soak in sanitizing solution.

I personally don't NEED my beer to pour itself for me. Two things come to mind over anything when choosing between these two products: Maintainability and Size. If i can clean my Growler Saver 5 times faster and easier than my Tap-It cap, I'm more likely to use it over and over in the long run. It doesn't hurt that the growler saver can fit in my pocket and safely on a growler while in my fridge without having to rearrange my refrigerator. While both of these are awesome ideas, I'm going to have to go with the one that's compact and easy to maintain.
  26. caguiar

caguiar Member

Backed the Growler Saver. With growlers sometimes being shipped to me cross country it seemed like a no brainer.
    Beeradelphia and Centennial like this.
  27. Infinite1

Infinite1 Member

I like the TapIt Cap... Where do I buy
  28. Beeradelphia

Beeradelphia Member

I agree with that ten fold. I can see myself trading growlers more avidly if someone like you has a growler saver and we can both agree to swap growlers/caps!
    Centennial likes this.
  29. Centennial

Centennial Member

I would like to mention something about the amount of co2 needed to be used by both designs. The Growler Saver will actually use LESS co2, as you just have to hit it once and then purge the oxygen manually. tapit only relieves pressure as a safety mechanism, so if you want to purge the oxygen out you have to keep hitting it with co2. Also it will only hit at 9psi which is going to make for very foamy pours. The Growler Saver will maintain the brewers intended carbonation level, you can even monitor the psi if you would like to.
  30. ShanePB

ShanePB Member

Steve, do you have any issued patents for the Growler Saver design?
  31. braugon

braugon Member

cool idea.

growlers costing more than the 4-6pk equivalent? i'd find a new spot....

that growler saver demonstration is suspect, why was the first one almost empty?
  32. Jwale73

Jwale73 Member

I will most likely back the Growler Saver just so I can have a way of force carbing homebrew, as opposed to bottling until I can get my wife to buy into my need for a kegerator. I hadn't considered that functionality.
  33. Centennial

Centennial Member

Yes
    ShanePB likes this.
  34. Centennial

Centennial Member

They were both almost empty, the carbonated one had slightly more left... but why?

Well, think about it......
    What happens when you pour a flat beer? and what happens when you pour a beer with head?
    When you fill them to the same level on the glass, the flat beer is going to have more liquid and no co2 which would equal head volume. So the head takes up a percentage of the volume and although they are filled to the same level each time, the flat beer contains more liquid ounces vs. the carbonated beer that has head that will eventually go down and result in less ounces of liquid. Therefore when opening the beers for the 5th time, you can see where the level difference comes from since the one that was empty did not have any head the last 3 times it was opened.
    Beeradelphia likes this.
  35. Jwale73

Jwale73 Member

Backed.
    Centennial likes this.
  36. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox Member

I backed Tap-it.. I like the tap design. Cannot wait until I am able to use tailgating.
  37. millionsuns

millionsuns Member

Tip of the cap to Centennial - looks like the Growler Saver's fully funded!
  38. jchoffman

jchoffman Member

I backed the Growler Saver, can't wait to try it out... what a great idea....
  39. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Member

Does the release valve trigger on its own before the glass would blow? Love the idea, but it looks like an easy lawsuit if sold to enough stupid people.
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  40. Centennial

Centennial Member

Yes
    devlishdamsel likes this.