1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Growlers at Dan Murphy's

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by aussieoverlord, May 3, 2013.

1. They will wait to see if the Tap King works first. I do have my reservations that it won't...

2. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (190) Australia Jul 9, 2008

I hvent looked too hard, but the press realses for this thing tap king thing dont even show the product, which seeme strange to me

3. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Last I heard was Dan's scrapped the idea.

4. Kavaler

Kavaler Aspirant (35) Australia May 5, 2013

5. I saw the Lion system some time ago, looked great and easy to use.

6. The reason why I don't think this concept won't stick is because its targeting consumers who have been drinking these brands in stubs and cans (or pubs!) for life. Training them to take a 3 litre bottle to be consumed at home only limits usage extremely. When they whip the calculator out only to realise they are paying more for less will be the biggest factor.

More feedback http://www.theshout.com.au/2013/04/...-draught-beer-at-home-product/BUPJEFCVCE.html

7. sirob

sirob Aficionado (170) Australia May 30, 2007

Lets not get confused. Growlers at Dans and the Lion home keg thing are 2 different things.

Dont know how the Lion thing will go.

Do know that Dan's have the first pilot growler very close to ready and subject to feedback they will then roll out into approx 60 stores.

8. Lukie

Can't wait to take home Dry Dock.

9. foles

foles Savant (410) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Can't see it working - Looking after kegs and beer lines takes attention to detail and care. And it takes staff (Dans is a high turnover, low(er) margin business). And Pre-fills aren't the answer - defeats the object IMO.

10. Lukie

Something I brought up when I first heard about it last year was they have to get permission from each of the councils for every store they plan on doing it in and those councils can levy whatever restrictions they want on them.

11. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (190) Australia Jul 9, 2008

someone just told dan murphys has home brew gear now?

12. NAH, No such requirements under Liquor 07 and its major revision in 09 under NSW law. Only persons that need to know are the ATO ... no different to Woolies buying soccer ball ham as a whole unit, slicing it and selling it as a product in different form from the original. Why would beer be any different?

Scotty

13. This sounds right.

Councils don't get involved in liquor licensing, it's the States' territory.

And even then, it's just another product that they are selling and as long as there is no consumption of the growlers on site, there should be no problem.

14. They kinda do, local councils are part of the pathway. Approval of a Council DA, that goes to OLGR (in NSW), then it gets approved. Or, you have issues at either and you go to the land and environment court and do the hokie-pokie ...

But, once something is approved then it is a massive shove by the council to bring in secondary requirements. Need lots of complaints and similar.

15. Only to the extent that the licensee wants to do something with the land they own or lease (i.e. develop it), but my point is they have no say in the types of products a licensee wants to sell on its premises.

16. Whatever Dan's has to do to get the growlers in, they will do it. Instead of getting staff to maintain the systems, they could possibly hire a guy to go around and do the lot full-time. I'd be curious to see what beers they would put on...

17. Lukie

Dry Dock + Sail range. I would be surprised if they did anything else.

18. This is perhaps true. After all if they are going to have separate in-store employees looking after its dispensing they are going to need a beer that they make the most margin of to cover the additional costs.

19. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

I would think that is true. They could easily get Ballast Point as they have the contract with them.
    Sculpin Growlers??????
    Better Yet...................Growlers of corona :)

20. Your right, as long as the activity is the same (selling alcohol) then they cannot whinge.

21. sirob

sirob Aficionado (170) Australia May 30, 2007

Apparently the Phrahan store now has them. Anybody confirm.

Woolies Sail and Anchor brand also released imp stout by the looks $99 for 12 640ml stubs. Hate everything else they have done with that brand but may be worth a look

22. mulder1010

23. Lukie

>Fremantle brewing maestros, Sail & Anchor, have released a limited edition Imperial Stout <

Because that is a thing.

24. Yep. I was going to Prahran market anyway and popped a growler in the car just in case. Seems I was first. They took a photo.

* Empty growlers $7. Common non-swingtop 1.89l type
    * Will fill other people's if clean
    * Counter pressure
    * Will be 4 beers on, just McLaren Vale Rhubarb Wit @$25 and a cheaper cider went I was there
    * Clearly bulk-produced signage being applied at the time
    * Overheard: customer "What's all this about?" Sign applier: "No idea, but people in suits have been photographed in front of it all week."

mungus, spicelab and MrKennedy like this.
  25. barls

barls Aficionado (175) Australia Nov 15, 2006

heard they rolled it out this week.
    lets see how it goes.

26. Trying it now. Not a pretty beer, but pleasant enough. Certainly the best Vale beer I've tried.

Further points perhaps worth mentioning:
    * The bloke who noticed me looking at the still-under-construction display knew what it was about and looked pretty stoked about it;
    * Their growlers mention "small batch" in big letters on the bottle - so the intent is presumably not growlers of Corona;
    * If this was the first one to get them, it's slightly cool that this was at the replacement store for "the" Dan's in Chapel St. I remember the old building across the road - the (then amazing) shop itself and the warren of artists and musos in the floors above.

27. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Keen for Jack Tar and growlers of Minimum Chips

28. Twinathon

Twinathon Disciple (50) Australia May 1, 2013

I've talked to a mate who works at Dan's in Belmont Geelong, confirmed they are installing growlers stations at that specific store. He also said they'd be the only Dan's in the Geelong area planned to have them currently.

29. Aint Big W got some interest in Vale now ??? All but disappeared from Sydney, or maybe just the venues I frequent ...

30. If they do, good riddance :D

31. Lukie

Woolies took all the crappy cider they made, so there was certainly a partnership forming a year or so ago.

32. After some inspection, no they don't :(

33. Sorry, John Boston is thru Vale now, theres some sort of disti agreement in it with all 3 of them it seems ...

34. Had a chat with the guy who manned the Dans Growler stand at GABS. Sounded like world domination is their plan... WA to get four growler stations possibly in the coming months..

35. First guy I spoke to at the Dan's growler stand tried to tell me that WA already had growlers in most of their stores, pretty bad when the guy trying to sell you the product didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

36. Ha! I'm sure they are making it up as they go along. How did you end up Mike, spewing I missed out on a GABS session with you.

37. barls

barls Aficionado (175) Australia Nov 15, 2006

38. Interesting - reading this, its my understanding that they are leaving the cleaning / sanitisation of the growlers up to the customer. No swapping for sanitised bottles...

39. mulder1010

Would tend to think Dan's has been on the West Coast looking at what Whole Foods is doing. Some stores have growler set up's.
    like it or not Dan's has the purchase power to give customers $7 dollar growlers. If they do not clean it there is a $7 dollar buy right there.
    Dan's could get exclusive contracts for little creatures easily and other breweries.
    Will give them credit for starting slow, instead of rolling out 60 stores at once.
    The more important issue is that dan's is doing counter pressure. Will put a lot of pressure on the smaller shops doing off the tap. When it boils down to it I will take the CP fill from the big boy over off the tap from a nameless shop in a business area.