1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Growler's Beer and Wine Co. (another growler shop in Houston)

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by DonD, Jan 11, 2013.

1. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

Just saw a post on facebook for this.

http://growlersbeerandwine.com/
    1005 Waugh Dr. Houston, TX 77019

Looks like they will be doing counter-pressure fills. According to their twitter, they hope to be open next week. Although, the picture looked like they still had quite a bit of work to do.

2. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Counter Pressure fills? Badass.

3. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (350) Texas May 17, 2012

They said they would be open January 15 at the earliest.

I've never seen counter pressure fills before. Does anyone else in Texas do this?

4. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Ok, I'm going to ask the question... what are counter pressure fills.. and what makes them better than other fill systems..

UHCougar12 likes this.
  5. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Savant (265) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Counter-pressure bottling allows you to transfer chilled, carbonated beer from a keg to a bottle (or Growler) with minimal foaming and CO2 loss. This is a pretty big deal for grolwers because the beer will last longer in it, this is especially nice if you trade beer in growlers.

yemenmocha, NiceFly, HopAG and 2 others like this.
  6. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Ah... nice...

7. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Great news. I can now trade growlers of (512). I have two bottles of Black Tuesday on the line I was just looking for a counter pressure growler station. Can't wait.

8. ext1rpate

Yep, I forgot to mention that counter-pressure is basically how breweries bottle their beer.

jbeezification likes this.
  9. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

I am *extremely* excited for this place to open.

jbeezification likes this.
  10. lindsey624

lindsey624 Aficionado (125) Texas Feb 14, 2009

Met with the owners yesterday. They still have a lot of work to do, but are eager to open asap. The taps they are using are the Pegas Craft taps. Pretty interesting stuff.

11. Growlers-Montrose

Growlers-Montrose Zealot (90) Texas Jan 12, 2013

We are also using special plastic caps, and the beer supposedly will last up to a year. We haven't proven this yet, but we're going to determine how long they'll last!

Clonies720 and jbeezification like this.
  12. Growlers-Montrose

I'm Doug, and my partner Dirk and I are opening the store. Feel free to stop by the store to see what we're doing. Your input is welcome. We are hoping to open the store on January 21rst on a limited basis. We're only telling passionate beer drinkers about the store initially so they can experience it before we announce it to the general public. Come in and say hi!!!

13. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

That system is pretty bad ass. It was something I was looking into getting a few units of.. Oh well. More competition for me. Wish em the best of luck.

14. Lutter

It's "Stylish & Trendsetting," guys.

15. DQuintero

DQuintero Aficionado (120) Texas Mar 19, 2008

Menu is up !
    not a big ipa guy but im awful temted for some wipeout and two hearted...
    this just piques my imagination on the bottles now

16. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

It has to be some sort of test. Half of those beers aren't legal for sale in the state of TX.

Clonies720 likes this.
  17. JohnBender

JohnBender Savant (435) Texas Apr 20, 2012

Man I would love to get some Wild Heaven out here.

18. JohnBender

JohnBender Savant (435) Texas Apr 20, 2012

Actually come to think of it, this looks like a menu for a growler shop in Atlanta.

19. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Ya, not sure whats up with that.

Either a joke, or they are asking for trouble...:confused:

20. Growlers-Montrose

It's just a test! That is not the menu. We're working on the website, so there will be a lot of funky stuff on until it's done later in the week. But any suggestions ya'll have for the menu would be greatly appreciated!!!!

21. jaymesbawned

jaymesbawned Savant (280) Texas Feb 1, 2011

Holy crap, I can pretty much look out my window at work and see this place. Beer budget might have to increase really quick.

22. Are you guys going to be able to fill the party pig?

23. Growlers-Montrose

I think so. Bring it in and we're figure it out.

24. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

What's a party pig

25. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

woah thats 288 oz!

26. HKemhorns

HKemhorns Aficionado (140) Texas Apr 12, 2009

A buddy saw this place today and mentioned it to me, which reminded me of this thread...Their website is a little rough, but it looks like they opened today. What's the menu?

27. mattchow

mattchow Savant (380) Texas Jun 24, 2012

woah, must acquire party pig!

blatherbeard likes this.
  28. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Beer, beer and more beer! :D

29. will this place be open on sundays? i'll be up in houston in feb, and kinda stoked on going to this but i want to go to no label on saturday and specs to abuse my discount. want to buy them so i can drive back with them on sunday.

30. champ103

I would guess not. They have not even posted what their regular hours are going to be, and liquor stores can't be open on Sundays.

31. ext1rpate

This place only sells beer iirc, and in Texas you can walk into any gas station and buy beer on a Sunday.

32. champ103

You can also buy beer from a grocery store on a Sunday, but not at a liquor store. I am not sure, but I think they are considered a package/liquor store per TABC. No Sunday sales.

33. RJC

RJC Aspirant (40) Texas Jan 5, 2013

Who knows how they're categorized with TABC, but Premium Draught is open Tues-Sun. So, if they're setup similar to PD, they should be open Sundays.

34. champ103

Did not realize PD was open Sundays. I would of thought they have the same permits that package/liquor stores. Guess not, go figure lol.

35. I went into Growlers today. Great set-up, friendly guys. They have one of the taps installed with Live Oak Hefe., Buffalo Double Cowbell, the new Southern Star seasonal (an old ale, I believe), and one more beer that I can't recall. I can't remember how many taps they said they'd eventually have--upwards of 30? I was impressed, whatever the number.

The tap list is on flat screen TVs above the counter/bar, a nice touch. And those special taps look really cool. I didn't get a growler today because I'm still working through the tons and tons of beer I brought back from St. Louis and Chicago over Christmas, but I look forward to going back for fresh pours.

Bottle selection is well curated and organized. I picked up a Ten Fidy and the aforementioned Southern Star seasonal (can, not draft). You can do mixed sixers.

Very, very nice addition to the Houston craft beer scene.

I didn't catch your names, but congrats again on the opening, Growlers guys. Thanks for letting me sign your wall.

36. Tomlin091744

Tomlin091744 Aficionado (205) Texas Jun 16, 2008

Pretty sure PD has a Beer/Wine permit so they can sell on sundays after 12

37. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Per there tweet they are open on Sundays! So, get your growler on!

38. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

Holy crap, that narrator sounds like he's right on the edge of hanging himself. I almost slit my own wrists listening to him! Should have just had Ben Stein do it. I've never heard anyone so unexcited about beer before :)

NiceFly likes this.
  39. Lutter

Well, it's dubbed from German, so I imagine the guy dubbing doesn't give a shit about growler fillers, lol.