1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Growlers--how long will they last?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by rgdp, Sep 27, 2013.

1. rgdp

rgdp Aspirant (30) California Aug 21, 2013

I got a one liter growler of HF Arthur in a trade. It's a pop top and it's taped off. Any thoughts on how long I have to get into it or if it's already a goner? I emailed the brewery and they recommend within seven days days after purchase. I'm way beyond that. Penny for your thoughts. Thanks!
  2. rgdp

rgdp Aspirant (30) California Aug 21, 2013

Woops...it's Edward, not Arthur. Not that it's of consequence.
  3. lookrider

lookrider Savant (390) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

I drank a growler of Ephraim 5 weeks after it was filled and it was the best IPA that I've ever had.
  4. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I've only had Edward once, and it seems like the hop character is of such a nature that, regardless of whether it's bottled or growlered, it would be best fresh. As for how growlers last as compared to bottles, it depends. Counter-pressure filled growlers can last a while. At Pegs, they don't pressure fill, but they don't leave any room at the top; the idea being that if there's no room for air, it won't go bad as quickly. One case isn't exactly a great sample size, but the 2 month old growler of Rarer Dos I had this past Winter was fantastic and well carbonated. I hear a lot about 7 or 14 day limits suggested either in general or by the brewery for specific beers, but this seems to be a case of erring on the side of caution. Only one way to find out, though...
  5. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (595) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

With IPA's, I tend to treat them in the same regard as the milk in my fridge. :)
  6. I had a growler of HF What Is Enlightenment? that was in my fridge for 2 months, it was still incerdible. I think the key is keeping it cold.
    Cubatobaco likes this.
  7. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (520) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Me too. For cereal only.
  8. cj8311

cj8311 Aficionado (170) Maryland Nov 12, 2008

counter filled growler of Goose Island The Illinois was perfectly carbonated after 34 days in the fridge for me. Screw top and taped. I dont know how it "held up" b/c I've never had it fresh and keeping it that long was due to circumstance rather than a "plan". So perhaps this comment is worthless...
  9. Three weeks was the number I've heard but I've never held onto a growler for any length of time.

No matter what we say, I recommend opening at the earliest available convenience and giver 'er a go. There's nothing the internet can really do for you on this one, you need to try it.