Growlers of Barrel Aged Boris by Hoppin Frog in Ashland, KY

Discussion in 'South' started by DWatson, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Just came from the Ashland Beverage Center. They just installed a growler system of draft craft beers. Only remember two right now- Stones Russian Imperial Stout and BA Boris. The Boris is so expensive that they sell small 16 oz growlers for those unwilling to pay for 64 oz. 16 oz growlers are 3 bucks and a fill of Boris is 16.99. 64 oz growler is 13 and a fill of Boris is 50. You can bring back clean growlers or one you already owned for refills.

I think Stones and the other two were less that 15 for 64 oz... Anyway, thought regional enthusiasts might wanna know.

2. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Poobah (1,020) Kentucky Mar 3, 2011 Verified

Those prices are outlandish. A 22 oz. bomber of BA Boris is the same price as their 16 oz. growler, and you don't have to pay for the bottle. And who charges $13 for a liquor store branded growler? Is everything in Ashland that expensive?

3. In regards to Hoppin Frog, I've always thought they were a little overpriced.

Hoppenheimer and Magery like this.
  4. bradfordjohnson

bradfordjohnson Savant (355) Kentucky Jun 18, 2012 Verified

I think the more expensive growler I've ever bought was about a $22 fill...$50 just ain't happening. I believe I paid about $16 for a bomber of BA BORIS last year.

5. jbrana

jbrana Aficionado (150) Tennessee Mar 7, 2012 Verified

6. My thoughts exactly. The others weren't bad for a fill, though, when you consider it's the only place in the area with fresh craft beer.