1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Gubna new Receipe

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by bfields4, Mar 8, 2013.

1. bfields4

bfields4 Member

Hi,

I heard the other day that the new Gubna coming out this month is going to have a new hop bill to it. Anyone had a chance to try it yet? Thoughts?

Cheers,
    -Ben
  2. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Member

They're adding cascade hops as far as I know. They're supposed to be releasing a new seasonal this summer too. Probably their vienna lager.
  3. narayan

narayan Member

Replacing summit with cascade? Or just adding cascade?
  4. Domingo

Domingo Member

There was another thread somewhere where they give details. They're going to be adding cascades in addition to summits, and it sounded like the grain bill was tweaked a little, too.
    Should be interesting, and for my palate pretty much any changes would be an improvement.
  5. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

The new Gubna is much more enjoyable to me, not as oniony as the old batch. I really didn't care for the beer in the past.
  6. ColoBeerMan

ColoBeerMan Member

Here is the wording from their press release:

"GUBNA was inbred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBU’s with a single hop to emphasize that complexity of character can arise from simple elements. This time around GUBNA (10% ABV, 100+ IBUs) cranks up the complexity of hops by piling Cascade hops on top of copious amounts of Summit hops and the backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. North American 2-row barley combines with the other grains to lay the foundation for the hop onslaught to come. Post-fermentation dry hopping allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced spicy yet round middle and finishing with a brisk, clean bitterness."
  7. SiflandOlly

SiflandOlly Member

I'll have to try this, seems I was one of the few who loved the all summit version.
    MarkyMOD likes this.
  8. Kuester

Kuester Member

I'm another one of the few that loved the old Gubna, but I've got faith in OB. Looking forward to it. Just not the ten FIDY being off the shelves part :(
  9. denver10

denver10 Member

Seems like you can always find Ten Fidy, as long as you don't limit yourself to just one store. I know here in Fort Collins, I was able to find 2011 Ten Fidy well into this past winter.
  10. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Member

If I'm spending that money for a 4 pack it is for Ten Fidy! I don't understand why people even mess with Gubna. Way better beers out there. Get a 4 pack of Fidy and grab a 6er of Sucks, cheaper and a hell of a lot better
  11. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

Every once in awhile I don't mind spending $13 for 4 16 oz. cans of a local beer that's also 10%+. All relative, personally I enjoy most Oskar Blues beers and have close friends that work there. Sucks is probably my favorite beer right now, but I'll still invest in some OB every once in awhile because they are local and solid!
  12. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

Oh yeah, not a Gubna fan but I am of the new recipe. But Ten Fidy, DPA, Old Chub and G'Knight, solid!!
  13. spicoli00

spicoli00 Member

New formula is solid
  14. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Member

Had the New Gubna last week at The Weasel. It is a big improvement over the old Onion patch recipe.. Had to end with a Fidy though!
  15. bfields4

bfields4 Member

I agree. A solid add to the lineup. Do have to say i still think that G'knight is tops in my book.
  16. alexipa

alexipa Member

Gotta agree with the G'Knight love here, that's one tasty beer. I also loved the old Gubna recipe, definitely going to check this one out. Anyone know if the Rye is new? I don't remember that being in there.
  17. denver10

denver10 Member

I really want to like G'Knight, but just can't get into it. Never tried Gubna, new or old.
  18. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Member

I found the new recipe to have a bit more citrus, which I do like as an IPA profile. But I still like the old better. I felt the old was a little more malt forward which I liked. The onion flavor thing never hit me that way until someone said it, then I caught it. Kinda like rauch beers having that band aid flavor, someone had to say it before I tasted it.
    Gubna is still a good IPA but I do find myself not craving it now like I used to