1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Gueuze Flavors - What are you into?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sjverla, Jan 26, 2013.

?

What flavors do you prefer to be more prominent?

1. Tart/Acidic

36 vote(s)
    24.7%
  2. Funky/Barnyardy

26 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. A little (or a lot) of both. Keep it balanced.

84 vote(s)
    57.5%
  1. I've had a few gueuze's over my time as a beer drinker and liked them all. But the one that's really stood out to me has been Girardin 1882 Black Label. The amount of funk in that bottle was incredible and really took center-stage over sourness. It was so earthy and woody - moldy in a good way (like bleu cheese).

Of the few gueuzes and otherwise "wild" (inoculated) I've had, nothing has come close to that flavor. And since it's such a unique and varied style, I ask, what flavors do you like to see in your gueuzes?
  2. Like gueuze's tart and acidic, but not vinigary like a flemish red. I haven't gotten much barnyard like you get from brett beers or saisons, farm house... Never had a Black Label though. Funny enough had a St Louis Fond Tradition this afternoon. Going to assume the higher end gueuzes may have more age funk on them depending on blends, with the more available being simply tart.
    Cheers.
  3. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

3f (when i could still get it regularly) was my favorite. it was funky as hell but also quite sour in a lemony way.

i like a lot of both, but honestly i have not yet had a bad gueuze. i like em all a lot, mild or strong.
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  4. i like funk first with tartness in the after taste In order IMO
    3F
    Tilquin
    Cantillion
    Girardin
  5. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

According to Parliament...

Ow, we want the funk
    Give up the funk
    Ow, we need the funk
    We gotta have that funk

3F for life.
  6. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

3F is indeed the right answer!
  7. I like a tart, acidic taste with a dirty, funky nose. Cantillon, DeCam, and Tilquin are probably my top 3.
  8. I like both.

The strong acidic flavor is often -- but not always-- a sign of how much young lambic is in the blend. The more old lambic, the less sharp acidity and more earthy/funky character you get. Sometimes the cherry pie funk lessens over time as well. Young lambic tends to be more sharply acidic and more cherry pie in the funk. Both are good separately. Both are good blended.
  9. Balance between them for sure.
    FosterJM likes this.
  10. Earwax...
    davey101 and sjverla like this.
  11. Glad to see so much love for 3F. I got a 750 of the Oude Geuze from the inlaws for Christmas. Just waiting for the right occasion to pop it.
  12. glaze3

glaze3 Aficionado (140) Nevada Jul 29, 2010

There never seems to be enough oak influence for me, though the Black Label and well aged Geuze seem to be my favorites.
  13. With the more intense gueuzes, I get this rubbery flavor and aroma (a little with Oud Beersel Oude Gueuze Vieille, a lot with 3F Oude Gueuze) but with the more attainable, less renowned ones (Lindeman's Cuvee Rene, St. Louis Fond Tradition), I just get the tart acidic notes. Maybe what I'm perceiving to be rubber is maybe oak? Either way, I don't find it enjoyable. Still trying to figure out the style.
  14. tewaris

Only after you "closet" them for long enough. Applies to all beers.
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  15. tewaris

I believe it is something related to Sulfur. I have noted this, especially in 3F, and as my tasting buddies/my only friends outside of the 'net would vouch, I love it!
  16. Lambic is aged in well worn barrels. There shouldn't be any oak character.
  17. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

I prefer my gueuze to have flavors of 3F Golden Blend with hints of Lente around the edges.
    davey101 and afrokaze like this.
  18. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

God that Girardin Black Label was musty and mouldy as all hell. Fungus and more fungus. You can have mine :)

I prefer more tart and acidic gueuze, but without the vinegar flavors. A little funk/mould is alright, but I'd lean towards the acidic side of the spectrum. De Cam and Tilquin come to mind.

Jeff
  19. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

You're right - I should explain myself.

It is true that lambic producers generally seek out older casks, and give them a thorough cleaning before use. This is to limit the tannic influence the barrel-aging has on the beer, but not to entirely get rid of it. Go and drink the most traditional gueuzes and you'll notice some oak character in all of them (thought it should be moderate to very subtle, never dominating the beer). Furthermore, some traditional lambic brewers/blenders are experimenting with specific cask types (see Crianza Helena and the specific use of Cognac and Bordeaux casks). While the principle is the same (the notes imparted by the spirit/wine-soaked wood itself should be subtle and in balance), the idea that there should be no oak character makes no sense in this light.
    davey101 and luwak like this.
  20. I prefer of Cantillon late 80's into the 90's. When Jean took over from his father a little of that flavor has gone away.
    westcoastbeerlvr likes this.
  21. It was actually you're review that got me thinking about it. I had a Mariage Parfait on Christmas and it had some nice funk, but i was hoping for Girardin proportions. So I was browsing reviews for what I guess could be described as "moldy" gueuzes. I came across yours and thought it would be interesting to get people's preferences one way or another.
  22. That 'moldy' character might not actually be part of the beer- it can come from the cork (what wine people refer to as TCA). I recently had some Hanssen's Kriek that was unfortunately infected in that way, so it can happen.
  23. I'm definitely down with lip puckering pungently tart gueuzes. Although I like a little funk, I prefer it in other Belgian brews. But when it comes to gueuzes, I prefer them tart, because in my opinion that's what distinguishes the style from other Belgians.
  24. I appreciate the feedback.

I really want to try the Girardin 1882 Black Label. I have no problems with the earthy, woody, moldy tastes you describe but did you detect any "rubbery" (can't find another adjective to describe it) or astringent flavors in it? If so, I may want to pass because I'm starting to get sick paying over $10 a pop for little 12.7 oz bottles of beer that end up tasting kind of like wet blacktop concrete.
  25. I don't recall any rubbery tastes. Granted it's been over a year since I had it, so YMMV. I will say though that I've only seen it once since the first time I've had it and regret not buying it again.
  26. Having something too tart/acidic takes away from the complexity of a good sour IMO.
  27. I actually had this about a week ago, and was not impressed. It was a 2011 bottle, and I'm not sure of how well it was cellared, but it was lacking the acidity that I like, and seemed to have some earthy off flavors.
    I would absolutely not describe it as "blacktop concrete" though. I guess I just had higher hopes for it.
  28. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

key to me is a bone dry, clean body/mouthfeel. next i want a melange of tart, cheese rind funk, oak, lemon, and wheat grain. there's a seemingly infinite amount of ways to pull the above together for the competent blenders/brewers. such a great style of beer.
  29. Earthy off flavors I can deal with. Pretty sure I'm ISO this one. Need to get to the bottom of this.
  30. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Really like them to be balanced. Hence why Lente is the epitome of the style. My only 5/5 on BA after 1712 reviews.

Cheers!
    davey101 likes this.
  31. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

his grandfathers was even better.
    TongoRad likes this.
  32. In my experience this isn't the case. Jean Pierre's stuff really was incredible.