1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Gueuze Verticals

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by ShogoKawada, Mar 11, 2013.

1. I've been collecting some Cantillon Classic for a while now and think I'm going to do my first spot-check to see how they're progressing.

Has anyone ever done a gueuze vertical tasting? What gueuze? What years? How was it? I don't see much in the cellaring forum about this.

Thanks Brojams
  2. futura123

futura123 Savant (330) California Jul 29, 2010

I think some tasting group did a vertical of 3F Vintage Label 02-08. I got very different answers about 3F Vintage, some swore 02 is the best while other said 04/05 is the shit. With so many bottle variation, cellar condition, blend, oxidation,... everyone has their own idea. But the consensus is 06 3F Vintage is the worst. I like Cantillion Gueuze fresh to old, 3F gueuze more than 2 year ( 3F fresh doesn't hit my sweet spot), Tilquin fresh or old, Girardin more than 2 year, De Cam more than 2 year but it's my personal choice.
  3. Thanks for the info.

The one X factor I can claim to have reasonable control over is cellaring- they've all been stored at 55 degrees in a stone slab basement since purchase.
  4. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

I have one of these that I've been wanting to do for over a year... it's hard to get enough people together to drink 6+ bottles of lambic though.
  5. I have 09-12 CCG in 375s if we can cobble together a few more interested souls. Might be easier in the smaller format.

What vintages/brand do you have?
  6. jedwards

I know I've got '08-'10 and '05 CCG, might have an '06 as well, but I think they're all 750mls, can check tonight. The tasting I was thinking of doing was a '10, '05, and '93 Classic Gueuze and Kriek side-by-side, get some perspective on aging long-term (I've also got a non-Cantillon Really Old Lambic to try at the same time). I bet if we got 8 people (each with their own jar of tums) we could do it.
    ASUBeer likes this.
  7. I would gladly provide tums for a shot at participating in this as I have no 'Loons to offer. I might be able to find some '06 Rolaids in my Mom's glove compartment...
    FUNKPhD, OtisCampbell and Dizbro21 like this.
  8. you have an 05 kriek? I haven't had one in a while but it was blisteringly sour the last time I had one.
  9. jedwards

Yup. I haven't had an '05 Kriek in awhile... I think I might also have an '08, which was the last insanely sour batch I recall. We can wash it down with a batch 1 Experimental Raspberry.
  10. clegolfski

clegolfski Savant (315) Ohio Jul 13, 2008

I did a side by side of Classic in 375s kept in reasonable cellar conditions. About ten degree temp variation between seasons but totally dark. One was an 11 and I want to say the other was an 09. The 09 was much more earthy/funky than the younger one. Like was mentioned though there is alot of bottle variation that may (utter speculation here) be magnified through aging. A good brewer/blender probably is able to keep the fresh taste pretty darn consistant, which has been my experience with Cantillon and mostly with 3F.
  11. Honestly, I've done verticals of Drei Fonteinen, Belle Vue and Cantillon. I though it was surprisingly difficult to compare the subtle nuances of the beers when they were only a year or two apart. 3-5 years and I was able to pick up on the differences but the Gueuze style in general is so tart and abrasive to pallets it was hard to compare.
  12. Name the time and place and I'll be there and bring the tums.
  13. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I recently opened a 375ml, hoping for similarities to the '05 Fou' Foune (I just went to the dentist so I wanted to test out the strength of his work). It wasn't anywhere near as tart as the '05 FF, but it had taken on a slight vinegar note that I actually enjoyed, as that coupled with the remaining cherry flavors made it similar to a Flanders. I can't better describe it, you'd have to try it to understand exactly what I mean.
    jedwards likes this.
  14. I am a bigger fan of trying the different blenders at a tasting vs a straight vertical of vintages of the same stuff.
  15. Can tender play too... I got a bunch of gueuze I have been looking for a reason to drink...
  16. I've yet to do a vertical with consecutive years of the same Geuze, but here are a handful of multi-year comparisons I've experienced:

3F OG '97 and '01 - the older one was softer and earthier, the slightly less old one was fruitier and more sour.

3F OGV '02 and '04 - '04 was balanced and complex, '02 was incredibly dry and mineral-laden. Both incredible.

Cantillon LP Gueuze '98 and '08 - greatly preferred the fresher one, surprisingly enough; the old one just tasted muted and muddled.