1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Guinness Extra Stout is damn fine beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fx20736, Mar 5, 2013.

1. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

I don't know why I don't buy it more often. I bought a 12 pack Friday and I forgot how good it was, the magnificent lacing, the soft but solid mouthfeel and the dry bitter taste which packs old coffee and black licorice into a no-nonsense, no chocolate flavor which says; 'I am a man's beer', no gimmicks, no fancy flavors, no sweetness, just a faintly smoky, dry, bitter Stout that gives nourishment to the soul.

what do you have to say about it?
  2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I am not a fan. I have never been a fan of Guinness, I have never been a fan of Dry Irish Stouts. The style itself is a bit unappealing and not all that interesting to me. I am not going to knock the beer but I personally would not refer to it as a damn fine beer.
    ESeab, bunique686 and beerme411 like this.
  3. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

I wont turn one down but I rarely turn one over anymore.
    fullmetal1381 likes this.
  4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I liked it more when it was an import vs a contract brew from Canada. Sorry aboot that.

Higher in alcohol but even more taste, try the Foreign Export Stout. It only comes in 4 packs...
    cwreay90, BobZ, SadMachine and 3 others like this.
  5. nice call. enjoy your find!!!!
  6. JRod1969

JRod1969 Advocate (590) New York Nov 23, 2010

Funny I just had the opposite experience. I found myself in an Irish pub without anything good on tap. I fondly remembered my pre-craft days when Guinness was everything you listed above. So I ordered one. Looks awesome. Smell, taste, feel, not what I remember. I think bigger and more complex craft beers have ruined Guinness for me forever. Too bad.
  7. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Had a Foreign Extra Stout recently, not the best thing I've ever had, but it did have some endearing qualities to it. I'd drink it again.
    BobZ and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
  8. Tukee

Tukee Aficionado (165) Arizona Aug 1, 2009

I haven't had an Extra Stout in years, but from memory it was way better than Draught
    frazbri, kuhndog, LuckyJohn and 2 others like this.
  9. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

I think it's a tasty brew, although the version they sell here is 5% whilst it appears to be 6% elsewhere, except for Canada for some reason where it's also 5%. It has a good roasted character combined with a nice bitterness and overall dry taste, what's not to like I say. Guinness draught has always been a let down for me but the extra stout is a fine beer in my book.
  10. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (650) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

It's Foreign Extra or nothing when Guinness is involved for me personally.
    ESeab, beerme411 and TwelveOunces like this.
  11. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (470) California Jul 31, 2010

Its rather underwhelming.
  12. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (515) California Sep 13, 2009

The OP is referring to the foreigh/Extra Stout, which is not a dry Irish stout and quite flavor intense. I also rarely buy but I do enjoy very much when I do. If you haven't tried one you should for curiosities sake.
  13. Personally I thought it was just oaky. I would honestly enjoy the draught over it. I love that creamy mouth feel that I've always associated with Guinness. That being said I'd rather drink something else over both of them.

While were on the topic of Guinness anyone tried the black lager offering they have yet? I'm not expecting anything amazing but it seems intriguing. I'd give it a shot.
  14. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

The OP mentioned Guinness Extra Stout, listed as a Dry Irish Stout, he did not mention the Foreign Extra Stout which is the Foreign/Export Stout style. It really does not matter because my opinion does not change. I am not really interested in either, they have never impressed me or been to my liking.
  15. I always enjoy an extra stout; the draught doesn't do anything for me anymore, but the extra stout is tasty.
    Kerrie likes this.
  16. I'll drink it when I'm in the mood for a light beer.
  17. 57md

57md Savant (485) Pennsylvania Aug 22, 2011

I'd rather Foreign Extra Stout, but in general, Guinness takes an undeserved pounding from many BAs.

I get it -- KBS it's not. But it is certainly a damn site better than most beers on tap at most bars.
  18. went to Swedish House Mafia show at Barclays on Sunday. by the time everyone was ready to go all the beer stores were closed and my buddy had a sixer of extra stout in the fridge. I was a little reluctant taking the sixer with us but it works in a pinch :)
  19. gimme a guinness draught on nitro tap in ireland and i'm a happy man
  20. MarriedAtGI

MarriedAtGI Savant (315) Illinois Feb 26, 2013

That Czech pilsner thread could be cloned and copy/pasted into an Irish stout thread. Both are great underrated styles. Irish stouts never did much for me, but I love good Czech pilsner. To pick up on my imagined cloned thread, I have heard that Guiness in Ireland is better than anywhere else. And if I ever get to Ireland, I'll be sure to drink several!
    zenithberwyn likes this.
  21. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Flat tasting , rather flavorless, I get it's a different style, but I don't care for it.
    5thOhio likes this.
  22. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

The extra stout is good. A pork chop in a bottle with it's heavy taste. There are better but in a pinch this is a good one.

I will drink it and offer a toast to all that will listen.
  23. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I'm a big fan of this beer as well. Big fan of Guinness too.
  24. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Havent had the Extra, but enjoy Guiness on tap if I find myself at a 6 tap BMC bar with family or whatever.
  25. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

I would also agree that Guinness extra is great for what it is. Lots of ash and char flavors which I found quite tasty the last time I had it. Who cares if it's not from Ireland anymore? You get .8 more ounces per bottle coming from Canada!
    fx20736 likes this.
  26. Foreign Extra Stout is a much better choice.
  27. CTJman

CTJman Advocate (695) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

I think Guiness is prob. my first stout I ever had.....my thought is Guiness is for those who's taste for stouts hasn't matured yet haha
  28. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

I like the Foreign Extra Stout!
  29. Extra Stout is a good beer, but there are usually too many other good options for me to buy it. I had the Foreign Extra Stout in Grand Cayman. With the view, it was one of the best beers I've ever had.
  30. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

The title of the thread spells it out, Guinness Extra Stout -- not the Foreign Stout -- though the OP may also be confused, it seems to be difficult to keep the Guinness straight around here.

Nevertheless, I like the Extra Stout, it's an old favorite that I revisit often -- especially this time of year.
  31. mp19

mp19 Zealot (85) Virginia Feb 22, 2013

I'll have a guinness if thats all that's on tap. Extra stout is alright. But Foreign Extra is really where it's at! Love that stuff
  32. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

V
    ISO: Pork chop in a bottle.
    BeastLU likes this.
  33. It sure was. At least back in 82 I thought it was. Now I'm not so sure.
    cavedave, BobZ and TongoRad like this.
  34. Above average. Maybe damn fine on tap in Ireland but has never rocked my socks off.
  35. That's when I was first introduced to the Extra Stout, too. I'm sure it has lost a bit of zip off it's fastball over the years, but I'll admit my palate has changed as well. Heck- in the beginning, I didn't even drink it straight. I'd love to go back in time just to see how it really tasted back then.

These days, though, I'd definitely take another Irish Dry Stout, like O Hara's, over it.

The Foreign Extra is still mighty fine stuff, and I'll search that one out.
    sfsean28 and Bitterbill like this.
  36. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

I've really come around on Guinness; a while back I really didn't like it.

It's funny that this topic should come up now. I've recently been wondering if Irish dry stouts are kind of damned for just having the word "stout" in the name given the presence of so many bigger stouts out there.
  37. I feel the same way.
  38. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I dig the Extra Stout ā€“ even more than the more acclaimed FES. As I try more and more American stouts, the stouts from the UK and Ireland taste more and more vinous to me, and Iā€™m not sure I like that flavor as much anymore. However, the Extra seems to have less of that fruity character than the others. I had one with some Indian food a few weeks ago and it was pretty stellar.
    steveh likes this.
  39. Instead of starting a new thread about guinness, I figured I'd just post in here.

Quick Question:

Anyone know of a bottle dating error with Guinness FES? I have a bottle that I picked up from the store I work at for my mother for St. Patty's Day. The date says "Best by April of 2012". Now this is odd b/c I know these bottles turn over very well at my store, and we get fresh cases in often. Maybe a distributor error as well? I doubt a case would be almost 2 years old...

Also, does anyone think it would improve with age? I mean, I'll find out soon enough, but just wondering, since I've never looked at the bottle date on this beer before.
  40. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

I have to agree, I tried the Foreign Extra when it was first introduced and found it to be pretty close in character to the Extra. I sort of wondered if both could survive on the shelves together.