1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Guinness Foreign Extra...available in MN?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by opwog, Feb 23, 2014.

1. opwog

opwog Member

I moved here just before St. Patrick's day last year and looked for this, but couldn't find it. Then again, being brand new at the time, I didn't know all the places to look. But I can't say that I can recall having seen it on any of my beer trips since, either and that wasn't just a once a year beer for me before, but a regular. Is it possible that it isn't even available in this state?
  2. morimech

morimech Member

It was available. But then again I have not seen it, or sought it out for awhile. I have bought it at US Liquors in Minnetonka in the past. They probably have the same batch I bought from 2 or more years ago;).
    opwog likes this.
  3. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Member

I had it in Shanghai on St. Patrick's day in 2012, but that's not very helpful.
    I haven't seen it anywhere else.
  4. Chaz

Chaz Member

Had seen it hanging around for maybe a year after its initial release, but eventually it went away -- don't think I've seen it in close to a year at most places, in fact. Was happy to have enjoyed a few 4-packs while it lasted. :D
  5. pdwleeds

pdwleeds Member

Funny you should mention this, just found it is back after a lengthy absence (was it more than a year)? Being re-launched at a lower price, probably timed for St Paddy's day. Should be showing up at your fave liquor store this week.
    Cheers!
    Chaz likes this.
  6. opwog

opwog Member

Oohhh! I am liking how that lower price sounds, although for the quality, I was paying $8.99 a 4 pack in CA and that beer is well worth $2.25 a bottle. I imagine that this will be all over the place, but just in case, where did you see it?
    Chaz likes this.
  7. Chaz

Chaz Member

I found some right away after the first snowstorm of the fall --of 2010, wasn't it?-- for $6.99 (and I really should've cleared out the joint at that price.) This time I'm buying it by the case. :D
    opwog likes this.
  8. pdwleeds

pdwleeds Member

May have been wrong about the price, $8.99 4pk - plenty at Lake Wine and Spirits!
  9. opwog

opwog Member

Have you seen this elsewhere? I am wondering if this may be old stock, if it has only been seen in one spot. I went to a couple of places and found none at retailers that should be targets for Guinness; Byerly's SLP and Liquor Boy. Both said that they haven't even been solicited for this yet. This is one of those oddball products and in CA, the craft bottle shops never had it, so you had to hit those higher volume places that still had deep selection. I think the fact that it walks this unusual line has made it difficult to properly get off the ground in the US. It is definitely of more interest to craft beer drinkers, but those specialized shops usually don't get it and the larger retailers who do get it, the price point probably keeps it from selling well.
  10. muck1979

muck1979 Member

I saw some in the cooler at Surdyk's on Friday. Nine-something-or-other a 4-pack.