1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Guinness Foreign extra...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by diesel59, Jan 12, 2013.

1. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

I have to say, this is one of my favorite stouts... It really sets the bar for that roasted barley flavor... and at 7.5% also steps it up a little... I hope to find this more often...

kuhndog and Stockfan42 like this.
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

It iS that damn good, imho.

Stockfan42 likes this.
  3. While it is far from my favorite beer, it's definitely 1,000 times better than regular Guinness.

4. JK4Stout

JK4Stout Aficionado (240) Virginia May 10, 2010

Exactly. I won't say it is the best stout running, but it beats the pants off of our local flavor of Guinness. Now if we could just find someway to fix Newcastle!

creepinjeeper and divineaudio like this.
  5. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

It's fantastic. You should look into John Martin Guinness if you want a real treat. I did a side by side tasting of the two and it was heavenly.

bluejacket74 likes this.
  6. One of the most underrated stouts IMO. I feel like those who aren't fond of regular Guinness might overlook this one thinking it will be similar. But it's definitely in my top 10 stouts.

7. I wouldn't drink regular Guinness if you paid me, but Foreign Extra Stout is a very nice beer.

8. has anyone had a very old one? my father in law has one, im thinking of popping it. i bet its 7+ years old

9. Sipping on a FES as we speak; I'd easily call it the best macro beer on the block.

Easily.

10. Raul agrees with the praise.

11. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I'd have to try one to really know, but people seem to sing the praises over our Special Export Guinness (Belgium) well over the Foreign Extra. I hate it because of a weird lactic yoghurt taste I get in every single bottle, so it's not an infection. Also: ashy bitterness. So if that's supposed to be better than Foreign Extra... not impressed.

I'll stick to a Duvel or Westmalle on a basic bar menu here.

nlmartin likes this.
  12. Nigerian Guinness is great too.

Just send me a small good will payment and I'll get some free bottles shipped to you asap.

AnotherImperial and loafinaround like this.
  13. Hey! I have one leftover in my fridge from Christmas. Maybe I'll have it.

14. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (630) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Ask for it at a restaurant. When they bring you a regular Guinness, you'll get it for free. Works every time.

15. I have a few in the cellar that I bought back in 2007. I'll bet they're as good as ever.

16. larryi86

larryi86 Champion (760) Delaware Apr 4, 2010

I wouldn't say it is my favorite stout, but it is a damn good stout. I have one left in my fridge, think I will have it later tonight.

17. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

It is a great beer made by a company that mass produces beer... take note BMC

18. Foreign Extra is delicious. I don't mind the Black Lager either.

RobertColianni likes this.
  19. It's a wonderful beer and probably the only Guinness product I could see myself buying again in the future.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  20. Sobering (sorry about the pun!) to realise that Guinness was the biggest brewer in the world at one time producing this beer.Also marketed as West India Porter.Big doesn't have to equal bad - it was changing public taste which brought about the present macro beers.
    It's pointless comparing it with the everyday present Guinness which is designed for drinking in quantity over a prolonged time.

RobertColianni and gtermi like this.
  21. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

^^^^ this guy gets it

22. Dammit! I was hoping to save the Foreign Extra that I have downstairs a little longer, but now it seems that I'll have to have it today to see what all this hype is about.

23. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Turn the lights down, put on Dopethrone and pop that bastard...

creepinjeeper likes this.
  24. Blueribbon666

I was @ a BBQ place when the Black Lager came out & was pleasantly surprised @ how much I enjoyed it. Style was it had a better roast to it & not nearly the lager stank of some other black lagers I've had.

25. Blueribbon666

Good luck w/the Newcastle, recently had their Werewolf "Blood Red Ale" & found it to be slightly better than the always underwhelming Newcastle itself, neither would I seek out again.

26. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

While I agree that Foreign Extra is really good, I found the black lager to be bland and watery.

27. chimneyjim

chimneyjim Aficionado (230) Oregon Jun 23, 2004

Does anyone understand the date code on FES bottles? I remember having one a year or so ago with a clearly marked date. Bottles I've seen lately only have an unintelligible code.

28. kaseydad

kaseydad Advocate (730) California Nov 23, 2008

This beer made my cruise to Mexico all the more enjoyable. Was getting bucket o' beers of this and it kept me happy. Very impressed as I am not a huge fan of the original Guinness. The cruise ship also had Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse....which I also happily consumed. Definitely exceeded my expectations. Also smuggled eight Ten Fidy's on board. Ahoy matey.