1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Guinness Launches Red Harvest Stout, A New Fall Seasonal Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

MAGH SLÉCHT, IRELAND (Aug 2013) – Celebrating ancient Celtic traditions, Guinness & Co. today announced that GUINNESS® Red Harvest Stout, a new, limited edition seasonal beer, will be available in the United States this fall. This new craft brew, which captures the spirit of the fall season, provides a change of pace from the array of pumpkin beers often available this time of year while incorporating centuries old Celtic traditions.

With GUINNESS® Red Harvest Stout, the makers of GUINNESS bring to the American beer drinker the ancient Celtic tradition of Samhain. In centuries past, Samhain (pronounced saw-wen) was the festival held every year on All Hallows’ Eve in celebration of the end of the fall harvest and the coming of winter. Legend tells that on this night, restless spirits are beckoned from the darkness with bonfires and sweet offerings from the bountiful fall harvest. GUINNESS® Red Harvest Stout captures the spirit of this ancient Celtic tradition and represents Guinness’ brewmasters’ own crafting of this special offering to adult consumers for this fall season.

GUINNESS® Red Harvest Stout celebrates the brand’s brewing tradition with its mildly sweet, velvety taste and deep red hue. The stout is crafted with a blend of lightly roasted barley which allows for aromas of caramel and toffee and is supported by a sweet malty taste. When poured into a pint glass, the nitrogen widget creates the iconic surge, unleashing the sweet and alluring flavors and delivering a distinctively smooth, flavorful taste experience to be enjoyed responsibly.

“GUINNESS® Red Harvest Stout is perfect for Fall and offers a great change of pace from the pumpkin seasonals crowding beer shelves,” said Doug Campbell, Brand Director, GUINNESS beer. “GUINNESS® Red Harvest Stout has a unique ancient Celtic connection with Halloween through the story of Samhain, and we encourage adult beer fans to enjoy it in moderation with friends and family.”

Available in four-packs of 14.9oz cans (4.1% ABV) at a price comparable to other Premium Imports, GUINNESS® Red Harvest Stout will be launched at retail and in bars nationwide this September.

When celebrating your own traditions this fall, Celtic or otherwise, Guinness reminds all consumers to enjoy GUINNESS® Red Harvest Stout responsibly.

About GUINNESS®
    The GUINNESS® brand enjoys a global reputation as a uniquely authentic Irish beer and the best-selling stout in the world. Famous for its dark color, creamy head and unique surge and settle, this distinctive beer has been brewed at the St. James’s Gate brewery in Dublin, Ireland since 1759. Over 10 million glasses of GUINNESS beer are enjoyed every single day around the world, and 1.8 billion pints are sold every year. GUINNESS beer is available in well over 100 countries worldwide and is brewed in almost 50. Also from the makers of GUINNESS, SMITHWICK’S, Ireland’s oldest and best selling ale and HARP Lager, whose name pays tribute to the GUINNESS logo and the national symbol of Ireland. Additional information about the GUINNESS brand can be found at www.guinness.com.

About Diageo
    Diageo is the world's leading premium drinks business with an outstanding collection of beverage alcohol brands across spirits, beer and wine. These brands include Johnnie Walker, Crown Royal, JεB, Windsor, Buchanan’s and Bushmills whiskies, Smirnoff, Cîroc and Ketel One vodkas, Baileys, Captain Morgan, Tanqueray and Guinness.

Diageo is a global company, with its products sold in more than 180 countries around the world. The company is listed on both the New York Stock Exchange (DEO) and the London Stock Exchange (DGE). For more information about Diageo, its people, brands, and performance, visit us at www.diageo.com. For our global resource that promotes responsible drinking through the sharing of best practice tools, information and initiatives, visit DRINKiQ.com.

Celebrating life, every day, everywhere.

###

2. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

A red stout? What am I missing here.

RobinLee and joelwlcx like this.
  3. If I have to read "ancient Celtic tradition" one more time.

FrankHammer and ant880 like this.
  4. It also says it's craft. Quiet at the back.

DanH83 likes this.
  5. Hobby

Hobby Aficionado (195) Michigan May 26, 2012

I heard about this one a few months back and look forward to trying it in September. I like Guinness, people hate on beers way too much. Lots of people say Guinness has no flavor, that's BS, Guinness is not an Imperial Stout. If you want a stout bursting with flavor then that's your route.

6. bkov33

bkov33 Savant (265) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

so is it a red/amber ale or is it a stout?

7. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

The only red stouts I've had (micro/nano-brewed) were quite good. I'll give this a try.

DanH83 and steveh like this.
  8. I do wonder what a red stout is going to be like . What grains will they use and how red will it be? What are any current microbrewed ones like?

9. olekern

olekern Aficionado (145) California Sep 25, 2010

It's red/amber-ish stout. Really. I tried it last week. I won't say anymore. Try it for yourselves.

10. Sounds interesting enough to try.

steveh likes this.
  11. I've only just started getting into the whole beer thing and actually trying the snazzier stuff.. don't think that has included a red stout just yet. I consider their Extra Stout to be a pretty decent, or at least better than just okay, 'can find most anywhere' stout. Also, my guy happens to love their Draught, his just go to in general, so we're definitely a Guinness friendly house. I'm very curious to give this a try.. maybe it'll be one of the few we actually both enjoy.

12. charlzm

charlzm Champion (800) California Sep 3, 2007

Yes. One of those.

13. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

If you tried it, tell us how it is, and what it's like. This isn't an advertizment site, everything here is word of mouth... So mouth your words! Lol

EDIT: "Try it for yourself" sounds a bit shillish... Just sayin'

14. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Advocate (545) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

I'll try it heck how bad could it be?

mverity likes this.
  15. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

First beer was a Guinness...and my second, third, fourth and probably the first few months of drinking beer. I'll always try whatever they release, even if it does sound a little odd.

16. I'm always down to try something at least once :D

17. Guiness draught is already red .. http://beeradvocate.com/articles/662
    Of course that color is generally accepted as 'black' in the beer world, same as our definition of 'white' wouldn't meet the strict definitions of the top chromatologists

18. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Guinness draught is a bit bland, but that's because of an advanced palate. Guinness Extra and Guinness Foreign Extra have more flavor to it, especially the latter .

Bigbadboris likes this.
  19. Tut

Tut Savant (425) New York Sep 23, 2004

Guinness has no flavor compared to normal strength craft stouts. Try comparing it to Brooklyn Dry Irish Stout. Guinness is bland and boring - yawnnnn.

20. I'll certainly give it a try. I still enjoy the occasional Guinness when I'm at the bar.

DanH83 likes this.
  21. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Advocate (545) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

i agree with what you all have said.it was amazing how bad Guinness is once you had a real stout.i agree the foreign and extra are alot better.crossing my fingers on this one

22. bkov33

bkov33 Savant (265) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

its now released. a lot of the untappd check ins say it doesnt taste much different

23. Very Guinness Draft like in its design. A little sweeter maltiness and has a deep amber color. Not bad. Certainly not great. Worth a visit.

Tick.

24. Buying this tomorrow. I have never had a problem with it. I have had better Stouts, but Guinness is a go to for me.

25. M_C_Hampton

M_C_Hampton Savant (335) Georgia Oct 9, 2012

Sound like an attempt at re-releasing Guinness Red that flopped in England back in 2007-8 ish. I was so hyped about trying it and ended up disappointed. I love Guinness, Extra, and FES, but outside of those 3, their offerings have not been amazing. Think about Harp...

26. Sippin on an Extra Stout as I write this. Certainly not the best ever, but continues to be a comfortable night cap for this girl. Still looking forward to whenever the Red hits our shelves.

27. Milbank

Milbank Initiate (15) Connecticut Sep 14, 2013

Hi. I just joined a few minutes ago. I'm a regular drinker of Guinness Draught. I'm finishing my first can of the Red Harvest as I'm typing. I'm not that wild about it. To my taste, being a stout, it's rather bland. I think most stout drinkers will be disappointed with it.

28. Guiness Extra Stout is great for a beer you can find at most grocery stores, let's hope this stout is more of the same.

29. I tried this a few weeks ago and I have to say I was disappointed. It was utterly tasteless to me. I didn't quite know what they were going for here. Sometimes I think the draught cans are a detriment to the beer itself.