1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Gulf Shores Craft Beer/Recommendqtions

Discussion in 'US - South' started by BJasny, Mar 4, 2013.

1. BJasny

BJasny Savant (355) Texas Jul 10, 2011

Hello BAs,

I am going to Gulf Shores for Spring Break in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering where I could find craft beer to buy in or around there, particularly because it looks like Founders and Bells are available in Alabama whereas they are not in Texas. Also, what readily available craft beer (particularly from Bells and Founders) would you recommend? I've had Red's Rye, Porter, Double Trouble and Dirty Bastard from Founders and I've had Bells Cream Stout before; all of these were amazing. Any help would be much appreciated!
  2. Liquid Latitudes is only decent place I have found in the immediate area. It is definitely worth a look, but don't expect to be blown away there either. I don't remember specifically what Bell's offerings they had but I mentioned it in my review from this past fall. I have definitely seen Two Hearted readily available in the area.

There is a Mello Mushroom in Foley that will sometimes have a few good things on tap.

You might check out some of the places in Mobile when you are passing through.
  3. I think that Mello Mushroom is where I first had Two Hearted. It was on tap. Their pizza is a nice break from sea food at the end of a week too.
  4. BJasny

Awesome, thank you very much!
  5. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (415) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

if you get to Fairhope, check out their brewery.

Downtown Mobile has a contest going on - "who can have the most (ridiculous amount of) taps". When I was down there a few weeks ago there was at least 1 place which had over 60 draft taps. I think it's what used to be Hopjacks? Or is that its current name?!!?
  6. BJasny

Hm sounds interesting.
  7. treybell75

treybell75 Initiate (20) Arkansas Jul 19, 2012

I'll qualify my comments by saying I'm only a beer snob in training.

On my last trip, I tried a couple of restaurants with beer selections that I thought were pretty decent.

Cosmo's and Ginny Lane's (at the Wharf).

Also, Publix Grocery store in Orange Beach allowed you to build your own pack with what I thought was a good selection.
  8. EddieKingJr

EddieKingJr Zealot (80) Alabama Nov 30, 2007

Drive over to Pensacola and go to the Publix just over the bridge in Perdido Key. They have a pretty decent selection of beers. Try a few from the following: Victory, DFH, a few Rogue Bombers.
  9. BJasny

I'd be looking particularly for things we don't have in Texas; would I be able to find any Founders or Bells in particular?
  10. StuartCarter

Founders and Bells are both available in Alabama. They should be available in decent package stores and in some of the larger Piggly Wiggly grocery stores.
    BJasny likes this.
  11. BJasny

Thank you very much!
  12. StuartCarter

oh! I remembered a name! Cottage Hill package store :)
  13. BJasny

Awesome! In Gulf Shores?
  14. StuartCarter

I *think* they are on the outskirts of Mobile on the Fairhope side, but don't hold me to that - I was the passenger and was availing myself of all the offered free beers ;)
  15. BJasny

Haha sounds like a good gig. Thanks though!
    StuartCarter likes this.
  16. StuartCarter

oh, it was a hard and dirty slog, I assure you :D
  17. BJasny, did you find anything new? We will be headed down that way soon.
  18. BJasny

I went to a store right next to Liquid Latitudes because for some reason LL was closed. They still had some stuff I haven't seen in Texas though; I got Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale and Ballast Point's Imperial Red Ale
  19. Go to Richey's East in Pensacola off 9th Ave. Stopped by there on my way in to Pensacola Beach today and they have a great selection. Had a few Cigar City - Jai Alai, Maduro Brown, and Florida Cracker - Terrapin, Sweetwater, tons of DFH including 75 & 120 min, lots of Bell's, Southern Tier, Hoppin Frog. Don't think there was any Founders, might have to go to Alabama for that one.
  20. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

Wonder if I can get Founders in Orange Beach? Anyone know. And re: Hopjacks. The one in downtown Pensacola has 117 beers on tap right now. Some are incredible and hard to find anywhere else.