1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment 'Hads' for reviewing places - good idea?

Discussion in 'Site' started by yemenmocha, Apr 10, 2013.

?

Should the Bros. add 'Hads' to the Places section?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I now think it is.

Some major metros have a problem. Phoenix is the perfect example. Many of the newer places in recent years are FREQUENTLY mentioned in the abundant threads about "where should I go when visiting Phoenix?" yet many people recommending them don't review them. The "Places" section for Phoenix has a large number of newer (and among the best) places missing from the summary page entirely, and it has quite a few that shouldn't be on the list. Why? Not the Bros. fault at all. It's just that there's so few reviews that these newer places don't even meet a minimum threshold to be on the list.

So I made a nice appeal thread in the Southwest section and included links to several of these newer places so it would be very, very easy. About 250 reads in the thread so far.... but only a handful of reviews were written afterwards, and instead the thread degenerated into one established brewery's fanboy being upset for no good reason at all, and that brewery's owner chiming in to refer a poster to shop at his place in town:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/phoenix-bas-your-favorite-places.80464/

As much as I personally hate the 'hads' system, I think it is necessary for such an underutilized and promising part of BA known as the "places" section (BeerFly to the veterans here). It's a simple argument but I think it is best for places because people seem unwilling to write full reviews and would rather take the time to recommend places in sentences and paragraphs over and over whenever someone asks where to go when visiting their metro.

2. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Regardless of the poll, we've already stated that this (and more) is coming. Users will of course still be able to do full Reviews and eventually get more credit for them too.

Hanzo and yemenmocha like this.
  3. If a place had only 'had' reviews, I still probably wouldn't go to it regardless of the rating because I still know nothing about it. I like to know about the selection, atmosphere, service, etc. That's the best part of the 'places' section is being able to read others past experiences.

TMoney2591 likes this.
  4. socon67

socon67 Advocate (660) New York Jun 18, 2010

I'm mixed on this one. On one hand I'm all for using the Hads feature to get more information about locations that have good craft options. I use BA as a resource for places to check out, and I review places as I would review the beer I had in the establishment. It is a cool feature that isn't utilized enough.

However, a bunch of 'Hads' isn't going to give me anything more than a quick bullet point score for a place with nothing behind it. Its the same argument with using Hads for beer reveiws, with the additional problem that we don't tend to rank Places, so the information from the community about the place is more improtant.

If adding Hads is going to get more activity on adding places and spoltlighting the good ones, then I can see it being useful. As a person who uses the feature, I'll take any aditonal information.

5. yemenmocha

I think both would still exist. I agree the full review is more helpful. But my goodness, it's just so hard for some metros that are handicapped in the beer world relative to normal metros elsewhere with similar populations. People just aren't writing full reviews often enough.

6. yemenmocha

Plus some metros need the hads because even though BA is kicking ass with overall population, some metros don't have many BA's who write reviews - even ones with 6 million residents. It's mind boggling to me that so many good places here have insufficient reviews to be in the summary page.

7. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

I agree with the had system as well, I posted to the above mentioned thread because I think there are several places that arent nessisarily craft beer bars, but would have an awesome selection, or one or two "go to" beers. I guess the reason I don't write reviews for them is because I dont feel my opinion would be adequate, or the only thing I have to say about the place is "good Happy Hour" or "they serve Oskar Blues G'Knight Imerial Red"(which is rare for az on draught) perhaps its just laziness. I think the "had" part of it would at least put it on the map as far as how many BA's are going there.... which might be a better reflection of its popularity, versus the full reveiw, but like Todd said..... Its on its way:)

yemenmocha likes this.
  8. yemenmocha

One additional benefit of a more filled out Places section because of 'hads'....

Pause and reflect on how wonderful it would be to have a major cutback in the number of repetitive threads asking where the best places are in your metro!

Smitty1988 likes this.
  9. socon67

socon67 Advocate (660) New York Jun 18, 2010

I can understand that. Areas such as New York and Chicago have a very detailed lisitng of craft locations, but I've been to a few places where I needed to start the obligatory "Where should I go?" thread to get the good feedback. In that case the Hads are important to even make the list. And, not requiring a review may increase the number of reviews.

yemenmocha likes this.
  10. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

That will never happen.

11. rousee

rousee Advocate (520) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2004

If the repetitive "where should I go in (anycity USA)" threads really bother you so much, you could choose to ignore them. I dont respond to them much anymore for my local area as it seems the same places always get regurgitated by people who dont even live here. I agree that the hads feature might help and I see that it looks like its being added. So I guess--mission accomplished.

12. yemenmocha

In all seriousness I want Phoenix beer scene to improve, and part of that involves recommending the new places that are very good but overlooked. Otherwise the same small handful of established places are the only ones that people try, and Phoenix doesn't get the chance it deserves. Craft beer enthusiasts are the ones who will make or break these newer craft beer focused places, so this is the online community that ought to hear about them.

13. I can see this being a good thing, but I would prefer full reviews myself.

14. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

I'd do a lot of "Been" reviews. I can think of several times when I didn't feel like writing a full review on a place that had out of date reviews or a low quantity of them