1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment "Hads" score calculator

Discussion in 'Site' started by Hanzo, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Didn't really know how to word the title. But basically, people are upset that hads are counted towards a beers score now. Would it be possible to add some depth to hads by making the user select a 1-5 score for the 5 judging categories before it calculates a final score to be added in the overall score of the beer?

I know the idea behind hads is just to allow a quick scoring of a beer, but if I could pretty quickly assign a 1-5 score for appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel and overall and I think that would at least provide a little better input.

So basically, you would score a beer as if you were reviewing, but just wouldn't be adding text.
  2. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

This has already been discussed as part of our goal to create a flexible system.
    creepinjeeper, ESeab, Zach136 and 2 others like this.
  3. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

This would be a cool thing to see. Taking it a step further, if this were done it would also be nice to see how each beer scores/averages in each of the categories. So like Bacon Maple ale would have a decent "smell" score but most likely a poop "taste" score.

I'm all for this although I don't know if it would ever be implemented, simply due to what you said - the Had is just meant to be a quick, one-number deal. But to compromise, what if all the scoring categories were available, but you were only require to fill out "overall"? If you simply fill out overall, it would count just like a "had" score. If you choose to also score the other categories, then they would average out like a reviewed score.

I love statistics lol so the more numbers the better if you ask me.
  4. An improvement indeed ... if the Hads continue to count towards the ratings. I think I join many others in objecting to the over-weighted impact they have on overall ratings. Had ratings sometimes occur because the drinking situation does not make taking notes easy, socially acceptable , or even possible. On other occasions, however, these ratings come from vague memories, very sample samples, or attempts to provide oneself with a marker of whether or not to try the beer again later. Hence, it is misguided to count these scores the same as full reviews.
    Beerandraiderfan and elgiacomo like this.
  5. acurtis

acurtis Champion (755) New Jersey Sep 27, 2010

I was thinking of posting something similar. I want to be able to use the Hads to give more accurate ratings.

example: 3.1, 3.2, 3.3
    rather than: 3.25, 3.5, 3.75