1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Haier Kegerator, is repair worth it?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by KatZF, Nov 7, 2012.

1. KatZF

KatZF Initiate (20) Ohio Nov 7, 2012

Hey all,
    We have a Haier kegerator in our home bar. It's about 7 years old, and it has stopped working. It simply is no longer cooling. I have called many local repair shops, and none of them work with the Haier brand. I called Haier, and they recommended me to a shop that is about 50 miles away, we are out of their service area.
    Have any of you ever had this problem? Is it a simple fix that we could handle ourselves if we order the parts? Please let me know! I look forward to your responses, we have a big party every year on the night before Thanksgiving. I always love to have something amazing on tap for our guests!
    Katie

2. Worst brand ever. I was given a wine fridge as a wedding gift that stopped working after two weeks and when I called into their customer service line to complain, they said that they couldn't do anything for me since the warranty was expired. When I took it to a shop, they told me that it wouldn't be worth the money to have it fixed.

What reputable company would deny service on a product that stopped working 2 weeks out of the box?

3. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

depends on what the issue is. Is it no longer turning on at all? Maybe just some electronics need to be looked at and you could do it yourself. Could be as simple as a loose wire somewhere.

Is the compressor running and it's not cooling? If this is the case, it's likely going to cost you as much or more to fix it than it would cost you for a brand new one. You could have a leak, which is not repairable, or a bad compressor, which is hundreds of dollars to replace.

Check out the forums on micromatic.com. There are extensive troubleshooting threads on various kegerator brands. I wouldn't spend any money on a 7 year old kegerator. Any of the kegerators in the $500 range sold at various department/hardware chains are really hit or miss as far as quality control goes. I have one, and I wouldn't sink any money into fixing mine.