1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hal Acre Double Daisy Cutter

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Mandark, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

Forgive me if it's been posted somewhere else, but Half Acre's Double Daisy Cutter is released this Sunday, 2/26. Four bottle limit per person, $9.99 each. Does this see any distribution? Anybody else planning on standing in line in what sounds like decent enough February weather for Chicago?

http://www.halfacrebeer.com/blog/2012/02/21/the-double-doozy/

Title should be "Half Acre", of course, damn it....

2. Anyone been to past Double Daisy releases that can give an idea of how long it takes for it to normally sell out? Is this a lineup at 9am type thing or will getting there at noon get me some bottles as well?

I just have no clue how quickly this has gone in the past.

3. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I didn't think we were talking about this release.

MasterSki and MarkIntihar like this.
  4. Mandark

Who is talking about what release where?

5. Big Hugs was still around at least until Monday. Sooo.....who the hell knows.

6. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

To answer some of the questions that have been asked... TO Mandark: I will def be in line for this but prolly not until around 10:45ish. The forecast as of today says that it will be in the mid-40's and sunny on sunday. If this holds true, it will be a beautiful day to hang out in line for a great beer from a great brew co. TO bpgpitt10: Last yrs batch of double was released on a Fri at 11am or noon (cant exactly remember) and was sold out by 7pm ish the same day. This is def one of their most popular releases throughout the whole year so expect to wait a little bit but I dont think getting there at 9am is necessary unless you have nothing else to do. Also, im pretty sure they brewed more this year than last.

Mandark likes this.
  7. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

I'll have a paper-bagged malt liquor to share in line, if anyone is interested.

Mandark likes this.
  8. This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much!

9. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

If by malt liquor u mean a Region Riot, then im Fuckin down!! However, thats not distributed in bottles so don't think that would be it. I guess i'll settle for a Steel Reserve or whatever other cheapness you decide to bring.
    No prob!! See you on sunday

10. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

Yes I thought we were being hush-hush on this release. I will be there at 10:45 as well. The maybe having a tasty Bloody Mary after the pick up down the street!! ( They more we discuss the longer the lines will be :))

11. RTrain12

RTrain12 Savant (400) Illinois Feb 6, 2010

If this topic never reached BA it would still be a big sell out release.

12. Trizzly

Trizzly Disciple (65) Indiana Sep 23, 2010

If this doesn't make it until Monday, I have a bottle of Bramble Rye for trade.

13. I'm not too worried. For Big Hugs I showed up around 2:00; no line, easily 20 cases left by the counter.

There will be enough to go around, guys. No need to show up early.

14. Mandark

Yeah, I've got a long drive so I was planning on getting there btwn 10 - 11. I was also thinking about an in person trade of some kind--I've got a bottle of Lolita to spare, as well as some CW Y2K and other stuff--but I haven't set up anything yet.

15. Mandark

Also, didn't realize I was breaking omerta on this....I'll do better next time, so please don't break my legs.

16. lurchingbeast

First offense is pinkies smashed by Masterski.

17. Mandark

18. Big Hugs was still around the Monday after.

19. ...And they kept plenty aside for distribution. I'd imagine they would do the same for DDC.

20. I hope so because I plan on stopping in Monday during lunch!

21. lurchingbeast

Is this one of those things where I read all of this and then show up at 8:30 a.m. only to find you guys have been there for a few hours already?

MarkIntihar likes this.
  22. smurfbeer

smurfbeer Savant (275) Wisconsin Jan 3, 2008

Just a heads up, I'm pretty sure they're closed Mondays.

23. You're right! Damnit. Must have gone the Tuesday after big hugs was released.

24. Ima get there early and pour some quality brews for my friends and those around me in line... i encourage others to do the same lol

25. ...Probably.

26. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Is anyone bringing anything to share? I have an Abacus 2011 with me I can crack open if "sharing in line" is not super illegal.

27. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

i went to the small animal big machine release. stopped there on my way out of town...sometime in the afternoon (maybe around 3pm) and was shocked to see a line. it went REALLY slow too (i was tense since i had to get to the airport for a plane out of town). i heard it sold out later that day so it sold out the day it went onsale and these releases seem to get crazier every time, but this has been released before and i have seen other brewery releases hit shelves (ginger twin, meat wave, marty stouf) in various binny locations and i'm rarely in town, but show up every now and again for work. either way, as it goes, if you REALLY want something, don't take chances...but this is one that i'd be interested in and probably wouldn't skip work for unless i read on BA that it was selling out fast.

28. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

I was at that one too...line of about 40-50 deep when they opened. It went insanely slow because that was the last time (to my knowledge) that they didn't build sales tax into their pricing.

29. The illegal part is half the fun!

30. Nachos4two

In line with the wife about 100 people or so awaiting the DD!!

31. jegross2

Can anyone let us know if it sells out? Headed over at 1

32. jegross2

any updates on the line size? Still 100ish people deep?

33. Nachos4two

Should be fine at one. Though not sure for peeps headed out this week. Though sad to find no more daly doubles left. :(

lurchingbeast likes this.
  34. geoffsm12

geoffsm12 Aficionado (185) Illinois Mar 11, 2010

Great job by the half acre guys. While so many other breweries keep underestimating the turnout for special releases, theirs keep getting easier. I showed up at 11 and was out by 1130 with my DDC and some cipher. Line was almost gone at 12 and seemed there was plenty left.

35. It was great, I was first in line. Great idea to have cash only and CC line. Was in and out in 6 minutes.

36. dman127

dman127 Aficionado (240) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

Stuck at work today. If anyone from the north burbs (Deerfield area ) has any extra, would love to buy or trade for some!

37. Agree with everything that has been posted. They were efficient and friendly and it was a great experience. Awesome to have Dark Matter there and also cool that they handed out DD samples to us while waiting in line. Kind of an interesting contrast to the 3 Floyds experience.

38. smurfbeer

smurfbeer Savant (275) Wisconsin Jan 3, 2008

For those that have tried it, how is this batch? I personally thought the first release back in May of 2010 was phenomenal, but the second release in December of that same year wasn't quite as good. For the record, I really enjoyed the galaxy hop version and hope they brew it again.

39. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

I'm no bjcp judge but this tastes as good if not better then the first release. Hop blend seems smoother and more citus-y then the real bitter last DD. but I don't think it's better then galaxy.

40. Nachos4two