1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Half Acre: Big Hugs Release

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Mjmoser, Dec 6, 2012.

1. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

dsal89 likes this.
  2. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

We got there at 11:15, and waited about 20 minutes drinking about $25 worth of free beer and free Dark Matter espresso, eating $15 worth of free beef nachos with ghost pepper hot sauce... There is no earthly way I could complain about the way Ha ran their lines. Also, their employees or volunteers were smiley friendly, for those who cry when not hugged and smooched.

This year's tastes less intensely coffee and perhaps a little more of a thinner, drier mouth feel, though not to the detriment of the experience. Definitely not as sweet as many other imperial stouts you'd have had many times over... Nice beer.

foobula likes this.
  3. Durb777

Durb777 Savant (425) Illinois Nov 30, 2011

I picked up mine today at noon and they had plenty left. For anyone who was wondering.

4. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Me too. They had an entire cooler full and probably more in back. For those interested, they still had the holiday snifters as well.

Tony412 likes this.
  5. MarkFy

MarkFy Savant (300) Illinois Dec 18, 2009

Plenty of Hugs in the cooler at around 3pm today and about 6 holiday snifters on the shelf (didn't ask if there was more in the back). It is tasting great this year as usual - sweet upfront bitter on the end, coffee is nice.

6. Rizdac

Rizdac Aficionado (180) Illinois Dec 5, 2010

Don't mean to high jack the thread, but does Half Acre allow outside food in the taproom?

7. yep

foobula likes this.
  8. kreg02

kreg02 Aficionado (185) Illinois Nov 19, 2012

Pretty sure they provide menus for area restaurants actually... Only been there once (on sunday) for like 30 mins

9. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (290) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Got some yesterday. They have plenty to last through the weekend, maybe longer.

10. I stopped in, too! The limit per person was upped to 6 bottles, so... there's a lot to go around still. Bottles of Hearth's Ablaze, too.

I've also realized that while I don't love Half Acre beer as much as other locals, I love their tap room. $5 goblets of barrel-aged Baume?! $5 goblets of Big Hugs? Don't mind if I do!

11. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

The limit was 6 bottles from the start this year.

12. So it was!