1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Half Acre - Galactic Double Daisy Cutter TODAY!

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by stephenieman, May 25, 2012.

1. Mark000

Mark000 Savant (365) Kentucky Jan 10, 2011

ISO GDC!!!

2. Headed there now...really excited to try this! I don't think I've been to the brewery since 2009/2010 when I lived by there and would walk over to fill up my unlabeled growler with gossimmer before they canned it.

3. ISO Goddammit

4. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (285) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

IMHO Sanguis is nothing special. Never had Galactic, it is different than Double Daisy Cutter right?

5. chronie

chronie Aficionado (180) Illinois Aug 1, 2011

You guys think there will be some tomorrow afternoon?

6. IMHO sanguis tastes slightly better than circus penguin, which is not saying much.

7. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Yeah it is. Galaxy hops, most likely from New Zealand, are used. Adds notes of passionfruit...

8. cdb636

cdb636 Disciple (70) Illinois Apr 2, 2012

I'm in the burbs, is there any left, and if so could someone grab me a 4? I can come pick them up either sunday or monday.

9. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (445) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

drinking one now..and it is delicious!!

10. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

I plan on stopping by tomorrow afternoon so hopefully it's still available. Missed it due to football the last time it came around.

11. ravot

ravot Savant (480) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

someone posted that there should be enough for tomorrow. it was apparently real quiet today, hoping cuz of the brewery grand opening, blast. i'll try stopping by tomorrow.

12. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Advocate (505) Ohio Oct 11, 2010

I stopped by around 6pm and they had plenty left, just call tomorrow before heading over, I would bet the odds of them having some left tomorrow are pretty high. Also, I just cracked open a can of this stuff and goddamn it's a tasty beer.

13. chanokokoro

ISO: Half Acre badass beer steins

My guess is there will be plenty left this morning. A ton of us that would have run over there last night were at Revolution ;).

14. rudylaw

rudylaw Savant (340) Illinois Apr 29, 2007

Or that it's $18/4-pack. I think it's the best beer they make but that's a little high.

15. stephenieman

stephenieman Savant (275) Illinois Oct 14, 2011

Though it is a bit high the cost is easier to take considering:
    1) Its cheaper per quantity than bombers (a format I dont care for).
    2) Its 8ish% ABV.

16. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (850) Michigan May 8, 2006

I love the beer but agree that is a bit pricey compared to other four packs. How much were bombers and growlers running previously? Four pack of tall boys is the equivalent of a growler, $18 is not all that bad for a fill. So I guess if I was down there I would pull the trigger without much of a second thought.

17. chanokokoro

I've been told that its a very expensive beer to make. Galaxy hops are a fairly uncommon varietal from New Zealand and Australia, so I'd guess that they aren't cheap. Plus, were talking a DIPA/IIPA here (actually a Double Pale Ale I guess), higher abv, etc. in a 4 pack of 16 oz. tallboys (64 oz total). When sold in 22 oz. bombers is GDDC about $10 (or more, can't remember) for 22 oz.? Considering all the factors it's not out of line.

18. rudylaw

rudylaw Savant (340) Illinois Apr 29, 2007

I don't remember what the bombers went for and it's not outrageous by any means... just a little high for me personally. Plus, the cheap as hell $3 half-pours of this at Skylark Tuesday is still resonating in my gullet!

19. Last time they were $10/22oz, so it is considerably cheaper in the cans. However, I did wince when I saw the price tag.

20. Still tons of Galactic DDC in the case.

21. ravot

ravot Savant (480) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

was thinking of heading up there now. finally have a chance.

22. What do the steins look like? Anyone have a pic?

23. chanokokoro

Ask and you shall receive, I picked up a pair with a 4 pack each of Meat Wave and GDDC:

[​IMG]

Technically a seidel ("dimple mug")...$8 a piece.

EDIT: 20 oz. capacity as well!

Askchucky likes this.
  24. Askchucky

Askchucky Savant (250) Illinois May 2, 2011

That looks nice, will look good in my collection!

25. ddskos

ddskos Aficionado (210) Illinois Apr 28, 2008

Still had Galactic as of 3:00pm today.

26. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (285) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

Came here to say the same thing. At least two full shelves of it, a few dozen 4-packs at least. The clerk said they were starting to run out though.

27. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

My wonderful wife just stopped by there about 10 minutes ago after work and picked me up some along with the new GLASSWHALE.

I'm contemplating making another trip tomorrow morning if they still have some left. I'm not sure 4 cans is enough for me.

28. hannydawg

hannydawg Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 4, 2010

Go back and get me some.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  29. Guy at the register said all that was left was what was in the cooler. Looked like 2 1/2 shelves full remaining at 5:15.

30. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (350) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I just got done drinking one... Pretty delicious... Really sweet, hoppy, earthy... Pretty much what I remember from the first time around. I'm gonna crack a Meat Wave now and see how that fares.

31. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (725) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Those are pretty sweet mugs. If i ever wanted a mug, it'd be that one (and the rev brew one)

32. jegross2

No. From what I can tell it'll be gone in 10, 9, 8...

33. chronie

chronie Aficionado (180) Illinois Aug 1, 2011

Thanks Jegross2. The timing is weird on the forum, I think I posted that on Friday night. But anywho got mine Saturday morning!

34. jegross2

Oh damn I did not see the time stamp lol. Glad you got some cans! Thankfully I was also able I get some courtesy of a good friend before the last two shelves depleted!

chronie likes this.
  35. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

If anyone can grab me a 4 pack I would greatly appreciate it. We can meet up at FFF this week sometime.
    Whitemomba is coming back from basic training next weekend and I'd love to share a few of these with him!

36. I swung by, but the dd is officially Gandhi.

37. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

I'm not up with that type of Hipster speak. Does that mean it's all out? If not the wife will be swinging by the shop again after work today.

38. Old man talk, the hipsters there didn't understand either, but yes it is gone.

39. jegross2

Nothing in life it's truly gone. It's just changed form. Soon, it'll all be pee. And then that will get canned, and sold as Miller Lite. And then that will be pee. That will get canned as Busch Light. And so on, until someone consumed Keystone and Clam Juice. Then we get chelada.

WillCarrera and ThirstT like this.
  40. Galactic? Maaaaan, that's Done-zel Washington.