1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Half Acre Tap Room -- opening summer 2012

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by danimalarkey, May 3, 2012.

1. Askchucky

Askchucky Savant (260) Illinois May 2, 2011

I really hope is this weekend. I know I'll be there friday if it is!

2. vasinger

vasinger Aficionado (170) Illinois Sep 28, 2012

If anyone notices that the tap room is open please post it here. And if the line is out the door that would be useful as well.

3. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Savant (330) Illinois Sep 1, 2010

they had a soft opening on tuesday to give the employees an idea of how things will go.

4. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (365) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

I'm officially the first one in line as of right now! Took today and tomorrow off of work, got my tent and some food in hopes that this thing opens by Sunday. ;)

gill897, Nachos4two and robbiemoy13 like this.
  5. JimGlonke

JimGlonke Savant (465) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

Passed it this morning on my way to drop off the rent check and it had a 'Private Event' sign on the window, fwiw.

6. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (285) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

Don't want to have my hopes too high, but that's a lot of beers for them! They usually just have 2 or 3 seasonals/non-staples pouring when I go into the store.

7. So they announced the new 32 oz growlers, which I was in-different about with their current beers (better suited for big beers, ba beers, etc IMO). They are releasing Mr. Ouroboros $15 for a 64 oz growler and $9 for a 32 oz growler. Anyone see anything wrong with the math here?

8. vasinger

I know. I dont understand it either. They had 7 beers going the other day and they announced that it was the most they had ever had.

9. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (285) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

Crazy. Well good for them, hope they're having fun and that some of them turn out to be keepers. To me their lineup could use a bit of diversification.

10. stephenieman

stephenieman Savant (275) Illinois Oct 14, 2011

I seem to be the only consistently cheap bastard on this forum.
    It's mind-blowing to me that anyone would buy those Growlers, however there is nothing wrong with that price-point if people keep buying them.

11. vasinger

A pint at a bar is around 6 dollars. 9 dollars for two seems fair especially if it is a limited release and super fresh.

12. stephenieman

Good point / I should have pointed out: I don't frequent bars often due to cost.

13. sgoro

sgoro Savant (405) Illinois Jul 15, 2010

I've always had an issue with their math:
    • 4-pack of 16 oz cans of DC = 64 oz of beer for $8.99
    • 64 oz growler refill of DC = $12.00
    Not sure why people would get DC growler refills.

14. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (400) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

I don't know anyone who does... but there must be people out there.

I only buy growlers when they are cheaper than the canned/bottled version or if it isn't available in bottles. My only exception is when I am sending a bottle in a trade that is more expensive than the growler fill.

thetomG likes this.
  15. I mean, I hear you. One of my goals in life is to have just enough money not to worry too much about something like a couple bucks on a good beer. Note I call it a "goal," not a reality, so...

16. stephenieman

But even if you compare Apples to Oranges:
    I would always rather spend $8.99 on a tall can 4-pack then $9 on a 32oz. "limited" / "seasonal" / "rare", you get the idea, Growler.
    But further to my comments above and in the Revolution thread: I'm beginning to think that my frugal way of thinking is extremely abnormal within the Craft Beer world.

17. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

Yeah, that's why all of these breweries can charge whatever they want for releases....people don't use simple math/logic and pay the higher price per ounce. I'm with you 100%.

18. This is why I very rarely do growler fills anywhere. I will if it is draft only, but if you can buy it in stores you are almost always getting ripped off buying a growler.

19. DarkMagneto

DarkMagneto Savant (260) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

Tonight is the "industry" night at the tap room. I assume it will be open VERY soon. All the guys are posting on Twitter right now about it.

makdeco likes this.
  20. makdeco

makdeco Savant (325) Illinois Jan 31, 2007

I think they are doing an industry night this week so I'll assume opening should be soon...

21. makdeco

makdeco Savant (325) Illinois Jan 31, 2007

I guess if you can get fresh cans it's a no brainer.... out in the burbs when DC is sold I have seen a few cases with "older" date son it.. I still buy it though :)

22. aab

aab Aficionado (105) Illinois Dec 1, 2008

For those concerned about whether they can fill 10 tap handles, tonight's taplist was:
    Daisy Cutter
    Gossamer
    Over Ale
    Ouijia Pilz
    Alpenglow
    Sticky Fat
    Akari Shogun
    Double Daisy Cutter
    Space
    Vallejo
    As for those bitching about growler/howler prices, I'm sure I'm not going to change your minds, but I prefer to think of them in term of bar prices when we're talking about tap-only beers. Since I can't get Alpenglow in bottles or cans, I'm willing to pay a premium for a growler/howler of it. Also, I'd rather have the option of getting a howler of something like Haptera. Not sure I could plow through an entire growler of that.

Dontcounttoday, aefbjo and Bay01 like this.
  23. vasinger

Did they mention when the general opening would be?

24. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

I thought they said they were having one offs for the opening? I see a lot of repeat stuff on there

25. Re growler pricing, and I think I said as much in the other thread, I just don't see why 64oz. isn't priced twice as much as the 32oz. size. I guess you can look at it as a discount for buying in bulk; alternatively, you could look at it as a premium for only buying 32oz., which, again, I don't get.

zieglemt likes this.
  26. gill897

gill897 Aficionado (160) Illinois Apr 18, 2008

i know for a fact that they have a 1/6 barrel of thunder and son waiting for the tap room. pretty sure they also will have barrel aged over ale and hopefully still have a 1/6 left of barrel aged dripping.

now when those will be added? not completely sure, but maybe let's give them a few hours of being open to the public before we start saying their draft list is just meh.

27. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

28. Sweeeeet. Anyone heading over early please list the taplist. I'll leave work immediately for some BA Dripping

29. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (395) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

its great to see them having so many choices now. I was always bummed out by the small selection. There's talent over there, and im glad that they are getting away from the standard + seasonal theme

30. Askchucky

I actually am taking the afternoon off to run some errands. I will probably be there at 1pm, I will report back! If i can get in.

31. stephenieman

32. gill897

WHY AREN'T WE ALL IN LINE ALREADY?!!!!!!???

33. stephenieman

BECAUSE SOME OF US HAVE JOBS WHERE WE HAVE TO BE PHYSICALLY PRESENT UNTIL 5PM!

34. gill897

GO BUY A BLOWUP DOLL THAT LOOKS LIKE YOU! AHHHHH!!!!!

stephenieman likes this.
  35. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (350) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Does this mean the store will be open mondays since the pub will be?

36. vasinger

I wont be able to make it until around 7pm. If someone gets there before could you let us know what the wait, line looks like?

37. Askchucky

38. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (365) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Let the shit show begin! We taking bets on which establishment has a longer wait to get in during peak hours, HA of FFF?

On a positive note, I just wanna say congrats to HA! I know a lot of us have been waiting a long time for the taproom to finally open and the day is finally here. The tap list is looking stellar and I love the option to have different size pours. Half Acre is certainly on a roll. Cheers!!

39. Askchucky

Well, I'm here now. Lots of room. Amazing place. I imagine everyone is working so I would say at 30% capacity.

Smells new. Best part, coat hooks in the bar!