Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...

Half Acre Tap Room -- opening summer 2012

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by danimalarkey, May 3, 2012.

1. vasinger

vasinger Aficionado (170) Illinois Sep 28, 2012

Just got back. Service was great. It was pretty crowded and the server stopped by many times and the doorman even offered some water. I love that every beer is 5 dollars. it makes the bill so much easier. Beers were delicious, but I wish they had at least one stout or porter. They said that cask offerings start next friday. Overall, the experience was great. The music was oddly enjoyable. i was expecting music I didn't recognize, but "summer breeze? by Seals and Crofts was oddly enjoyable. My only real complaint was that no food is allowed in the building. I would have kept drinking if I wasn't starving

2. eorwar

eorwar Savant (330) Illinois Jan 11, 2012 Verified

Stopped in tonight to check it out too. Probably at 80% capacity around 8:00 but to be expected for opening night. Standing room only for about halfway through first pint then a table opened up. Offered to split it with an older couple standing too and ended up having a great time. Love the different glass size options. Got a couple pints of my faves and some flights of the rest to taste. Super friendly staff and cool crowd. Agree with the food comment above, but just eat before or hit one of the many places right around there. Overall, an awesome time and I love being able to sit and relax and enjoy a couple pints as opposed to just having the storefront samples. Definitely check it out. Way to go Half Acre!

3. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (180) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

I'm pretty sure that the plan was for customers to be allowed to bring in food/have it delivered. It's probably just for opening weekend that they aren't allowing food...want to get their feet under them.

4. ravot

ravot Advocate (515) Illinois Mar 20, 2012 Verified

i dont think they allow people to bring food in, yet. they need some sort of permit/license. it's a law and deals with sanitary issues. i believe they said once the place is open for a while they'll give it a whirl sometime next year.

5. JimGlonke

JimGlonke Savant (490) Illinois Apr 27, 2012 Verified

This just was posted earlier today on their site. Looks like a go...

http://www.halfacrebeer.com/blog/2012/11/14/tap-room-update/#comments

ravot likes this.
  6. ravot

7. JimGlonke

JimGlonke Savant (490) Illinois Apr 27, 2012 Verified

You bet. Talk about making a cool place even cooler!

8. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (335) Illinois May 5, 2008

Jewel's rotisserie chicken makes a great beer companion!

lurchingbeast likes this.
  9. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (395) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

forgot to put my two cents in on this - but i was very happy with the tap room. Its beautiful, comfortable, and had a great staff. I went before they were allowed to do growler fills, so ill have to go back soon.

Great job Half Acre.

10. ravot

i like that the beers all cost 5 bucks. need to check it out soon.

11. Word of warning for folks buying growlers (or otters -- HA's term for 32oz. growlers) from the taproom after the storefront closed -- it looks like they limit growler fills to Daisy Cutter/Over Ale/Gossamer. The bartender explained to me that these are three lines that the taproom shares with the storefront.