Half Acre - The Sands

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by SimonesRules, May 14, 2012.

1. Looks like Half Acre is having a party on 5/18 for CCBW. $45 all you can drink and eat with food from Big Star and Belly Shack. Seems pretty cool. I wonder if they'll have all of their stuff on tap. Big Hugs, Double Daisy Cutter, etc. Some Meat Wave and other one-offs would be awesome too. I picked up two tickets. Anyone else going?

The Sands

Chicago Craft Beer Week is rapidly approaching. This is a week to celebrate Chicago and the impact beer has on the culture of our city. This year we’re taking it on the road and inviting you to the beach for “The Sands.” Our friends at The Dock, on Montrose Beach, are lending us their beach front status for one night of beer, entertainment and rock hard good times.
    Food will be provided by Big Star & Belly Shack. There will be a range of curated entertainment and beer from Half Acre & Friends. The event is Friday May 18th from 6-10pm. Tickets will go on sale at our brewery store this Sunday May 13th at 11am. The cost is $45 per ticket, which includes everything you stand to experience. We will have separate cash and credit lines for checkout. Maximum purchase of two tickets per person. 350 total tickets to be sold. Please be advised the park gates at Montrose Beach close at 11pm, so you won’t be able to leave with your car after that time.
    [​IMG]
    Posted on May 8th, 2012 by Gabriel | Posted in Misc. |

2. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (555) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

Its sold out already

3. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (400) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Half Acre knows how to throw a party, so I made sure to get tickets on Sunday.

4. We probably would have tried to get tickets, but already going to Beer Under Glass the day before we figured back-to-back nights was probably ill-advised.

On Photon was legendary though. I'm sure this will be a good time too.

5. Wseitz

Wseitz Aficionado (145) Illinois Apr 25, 2010

On Photon was worth it for the food alone. They could have served nothing but water and I would have gotten my money's worth. When I saw Bill Kim was a part of this one, it became a must-attend. Nice organization on the ticket sale as well. I don't think it sold out right away, but tickets probably didn't last much more than an hour.

6. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (1,025) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

Alas, this was my one conflict for CCBW. I guess I will be living vicariously through others...

7. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

That's how I feel about almost all beer events in Chicago these days... :(

8. Well let me be the first, maybe the only, to say that if anyone has extra ticket(s) my girlfriend and I would love to go and I didn't hear about this in time. So friends, if anyone has to back out or got extra for any reason, BM me! Ill bring you sometime nice

9. If anyone has an extra please BM me. I have one but I suppose I have to take the girlfriend.

10. windycitydog

windycitydog Zealot (80) Kentucky Nov 9, 2010

If anyone has two (2) extra tickets to this please let me know. I'll give you four (4) tickets to the Rev party next friday plus $25 to make up the money end. Just BM me.

EDIT: Or I can give you a bottle of DL '12 in place of the cash.

11. This event is cool, but they are blaring house music across the whole beach and I didn't come here for a club scene.. The food is awesome though, but long lines. Tacos from Big Star are amazing.

Some beers on tap to note...
    Double Daisy Cutter, Galactic Daisy Cutter, Bourbon Barrel Over Ale, Meat Wave, Ouellette from solemn Oath, and green bush barrel aged Cabra Perdido. Shorts is here also with 5 or 6 bottles including Huma Lupa Licious, barrel aged sustenance, controversial ale and more. Three floyds also has samurai gazebo, and there's more I've missed.

Loving the beach and the people, hating the music.

12. Shorts also had Aww Jeah in bottles for awhile but I missed it, damn.

13. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (370) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

Someone take a video for me!

markrmoser likes this.
  14. Just tapped Barrel Aged Dripping, I Saison aged with Cherries. So amazingly tart and sour. Wow more of this please. Easily the highlight of the night

15. Someone, not Gregg, brought a bottle of Red Streak. Also, oak aged Over Ale went on tap 5 mins before close. Awesome

16. Pretty good event. Barrel aged Cabra Perdido and Barrel aged Over Ale were my highlights. I was disappointed by the Shorts beers. I am not a saison fan, but definitely enjoyed BA Dripping.

I read a rumor on another Great Lakes Forum post and confirmed it with Rog. He said that Galactic Double Daisy Cutter will be available in cans for a limited time next week for CCBW. I guess I'll be checking www.halfacrebeer.com daily.

17. From the HA site (my memory of the beers):

This evening we will be pairing sand, music, food, ambiance & entertainment with special release offerings from the below breweries. We’d like to thank our brewing friends for their generosity.
    Half Acre Beer Co - (BA over ale, chocolate camaro, 2x DC, galactic 2x DC, BA cherry Dripping
    Short’s Brewing Co ( tried one beer, didn't like it)
    Three Floyds (only posted this cause someone else did, didn't see any FFF)
    Cigar City - (I have no recollection of what I drank. i remember liking it, though)
    Dogfish Head (sah'tea - I know I tried this, but don't remember)
    New Belgium (Tart Lychee)
    Sierra Nevada - (summertime - I think I tried one towards the end of the night, but don't remember it.)
    Piece - (don't remember/didn't try)
    Firestone Walker (Union Jack - One of the best widely available IPAs, but I was disappointed at no Parabola/Wookie Jack).
    Revolution - (Eugene Porter)
    Rock Bottom Lombard (don't remember the name - It was a porter with a lot of cinnamon/spice flavors. Wasn't a fan)
    Solemn Oath - (didn't try any)
    Greenbush (barrel aged Cabra Perdido - amazing)

18. Wseitz

Wseitz Aficionado (145) Illinois Apr 25, 2010

Barrel Aged Dripping Saison was the highlight. It was awesome. After I had a taste for it, they were out, so only New Belgium Lychee Tart was able to quench the desire, but it was pretty damn good as well. BA Blueberry Stout from Green Bush was great, and I got my fill or Galactic Double Daisy and Bourbon Barrel Over Ale.

On the whole, the party was great, but not quite as good as On Photon. The difference was that food was ALWAYS available at On Photon with minimal lines. Not quite the same story tonight. Still worth the $45.

Met one of the guys from Solemn Oath, who is also a Kings fan. Nice to meet another Chicago area fan who will be celebrating the next Stanley Cup Champion. :) Makes me want to drink more Solemn Oath!

19. Nachos4two

canned Galactic, sign me up!!!!

hombrepalo and SimonesRules like this.
  20. mbierz

mbierz Aficionado (155) Illinois Dec 6, 2008

Did they brew another batch of Galactic Double Daisy? The pour I had at Blind Robin was not nearly as delicious as my bomber from months back.

21. I have no clue. When Galactic 2x DC was released, they said to drink it right away because it was better fresh. I drank most of mine, but saved two bombers. The bomber I drank like 8 months later was so much better than the fresh stuff.

22. Wasn't that like last August? The Galactic that is.

23. Yes they said everything they brought out was newly brewed. Unfortunately the highlight of the whole party, the BA Dripping, was brewed only once, just 1 keg of it. So most of it was tapped last night, which makes me sad.

Also, pissed off I missed the BA Blueberry Stout from Greenbush, my girlfriend will kill me if she finds out.

24. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (1,025) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

Wouldn't they have presumably made one wine barrel's worth? That's significantly more than a keg - approximately 60 gallons, unless they're using a bizarro sized barrel. I can imagine that only 1 keg may have been infused with raspberries, but presumably there is 45-54 gallons of BA Dripping Saison still out there somewhere depending on the size of the keg tapped at the event.

25. Sorry I should have said "1 batch" as that is what I think they said. I assume it would be a barrel, not a keg.

26. If they put out some of the galactic double daisy, I will be all over that. The last batch of double daisy (non-galactic version) was unreal.

27. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Galactic must be coming out soon because goose island had it on tap at the mini golf yesterday. It was fresh

28. Nachos4two

fingers crossed!!!

29. You do not have to cross your fingers. It is being released this week at the brewery.

30. Nachos4two

is it coming in can form as people have stated? Growler only? Bombers?

31. It was cherries.. but yeah, there should be more.

I think 2 more kegs of BA Over Ale will make appearances this week.. and last year the Brandy releases from CCBW made it up to GTMW.. so I'd assume more chances are likely.

Both offerings (BA Over Ale, BA Dripping w/ Cherries) were quite nice.

32. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Where did u hear this from? I'm not on FB and haven't been able to check there twitter account recently so if it's on there I didnt know about it.

33. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Where did you hear this from?

34. Nachos4two

Hasn't been stated anywhere on their twitter or FB page as of now, I have only read this "rumor" here!

35. Well ya see, at The Sands event, there was an employee from HA pouring their BA stuff and Galaxy. We discussed the beers and how much they made, and he informed myself (and I heard him tell several others throughout the night) that they would be releasing Galaxy as well as a few other good selections this week at the brewery. I do not however recall if they are canning everything or on tap. Either way, keep an eye out on their FB/Twitter.

36. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Well there goes this weeks paycheck.. lol

37. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

I hear that man. Between the Rev party on Friday and if HA releases these brews I'm gonna b broooooke!

38. Nachos4two

if HA releases these I consider it to be a good "investment" broke lol

pschul4 likes this.
  39. Don't forget; Parabola & Wookey Jack should land this week or next, as well!

40. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (370) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

Had Wookey Jack twice this week (well since Thursday) and it is absolutely great. ccbw = empty pockets. But that's ok... Hey if anyone took pics or vids of the sands let me know, I'm trying to compile a video of highlights from the week and was not able to make it Friday.