1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hall Brewing

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by ssteigerwald, Jan 18, 2013.

1. New brewery in Parker, Hall Brewing, just self-distributed 3 of their beers (Farmhouse Red, Farmhouse Stout, Farmhouse IPA) to some local stores in the South Metro area (Chambers, Cornserstar, Parker Payless and Jordan Liquors). I don't know anything about them nor tried their beers yet. Anyone tried them? I'm excited regardless...love the fact that the South Metro area is getting some beer love!

Links:
    http://www.hallbrewingco.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/HallBrewing
  2. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Is this the former brewmaster from Falcon Brewing's new project?
  3. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Sounds interesting. I would definitely check all 3 of those beers out if I were to come across them.
  4. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (460) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

Yeah, pretty sure it is.

My wife met him briefly on Wednesday. We're hoping to get together for a visit to his brewery and feature on the blog soon. The brewery they built looks beautiful.

Tasting at Cornerstar tomorrow at 2PM.
    ssteigerwald and Domingo like this.
  5. I've also heard Hall Brewing will be offering a tasting at Cornerstone Wine & Liquors near the intersection of Arapahoe and Parker on Saturday from 2-6pm. Since they don't yet have a taproom - tastings like this will be one of the ways to try their beer.
  6. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (460) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

7. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

do they just call all their beers "farmhouse" or is there a farmhouse/saison/wild element in each of these beers? is it just a name or an indication of brewing techniques used?
  8. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

The brewery looks really cool and I love the labels, but I'm getting a bit tired of every brewery putting "farmhouse" on their beers. Unless they are saisons or openly fermented in a farmhouse (which I'm not sure is even legal to sell in the US), they are not farmhouse style.

I know I'm being a bit too picky and I really wont care as long as their brews are tasty.
  9. Damn good question. They built a "farmhouse" for their brewing, but I'm not sure if the beers are actually farmhouse beers a la Jester King? Taste will decide soon.
  10. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

the beetle kill farmhouse looks frickin sweet in the photos, too.

my assumption is that these beers are not farmhouse style beers, theyre just so proud of that beautiful building that they want to include it in the titles. unfortunately, that can be misleading to those of us expecting a little barnyard behind their ipa, but not a big deal once clarified.
  11. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Very well put. I think most of us now assume that farmhouse doesn't always mean the style anymore. It seems to be more and more of a marketing term, which is a bit of a shame.
  12. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

Anyone try these yet?
  13. Tried them at Cornerstar last Saturday, was pretty impressed overall for their first round of brews. The red and the stout to me were better than the IPA. Were definitely not "farmhouse," but I think we had established that. That being said, I didn't think it was quite worth the $8-9 price tag/22 oz bottle.
  14. Domingo

A buddy of mine said the red was terrific. I'm going to have to grab a bottle or two this week.
  15. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

I bought a bomber of each that Cornerstar had: Red, IPA, and Stout...for a total of $30. The IPA was more like a Pale IMO. I thought the Red and Stout were solid but I won't spend that much for them again.
  16. Domingo

Hmmm...those prices are pretty steep. You could get Backcountry Brewery 22's for 1/3 of that, and they're a known commodity.
    ArrogantB, hopfacebrew, dauss and 2 others like this.
  17. dauss

dauss Advocate (565) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Aren't they just a production brewery?
  18. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Saw these last weekend. $9 a bomber from a brewery nobody has heard of? No.

The farmhouse thing is very cliche. Sounds like another fly-by-night operation to me.
    chefdennis likes this.
  19. Domingo

Their facility doesn't exactly look "fly by night" and it's certainly not like we've seen many places around here that have been. That said, those prices are still pretty steep for styles that are normally priced much lower. I can't judge if they're worth it or not, but to be worth $9-10 they'd better be good...and unique.
    joshclauss likes this.
  20. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (910) Colorado May 19, 2005

Red was malty, unlike the Odell red. Stout was nice. IPA was more English style. We'll be carrying all 3 (starting today...maybe). May take a couple of weeks to get them moving, but I'm interested in the feedback.
    Backcountry still has a leg up on price point.
    hopfacebrew likes this.
  21. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

It's just another case of an upstart pricing themselves at or above the pricing of established breweries without a leg to stand on. I for one am tired of it which is why I will scroll past crap like this. We've seen the boom and I hope we see another craft beer bust too.
    hopfacebrew likes this.
  22. Graviz

Graviz Savant (280) Colorado Feb 26, 2012

Tried all 3 and thought they were good but not worth the $9 IMO. I feel there are much better beers for the same price or cheaper. I hope they come out with a true farmhouse or some good bretty beer in the future.
  23. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (910) Colorado May 19, 2005

I can understand this view point. Still, if they start out at 4.99 then raise their prices as they grow, people would complain that they're raising their prices ;) Of course, they still might raise them anyway lol
    We have 'em at 7.99
    coreymcafee likes this.
  24. Graviz

Graviz Savant (280) Colorado Feb 26, 2012

I think their other big issue is they don't even have a tasting room.
  25. Domingo

This is second hand, but someone told me the lack of a tasting room had something to do with the liquor laws at the moment.
    I still want to try that red just for the sake of trying it. I'm even curious how it compares with the pretty stellar Lone Tree Red from down that way.
  26. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (620) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

6-pack of Odell St. Lupulin, $10

That means 22oz. bombers (equivalent to <2 bottles of 12oz. beer) should be roughly $3.33. I can't imagine it's more expensive to fill a single 22oz. than two 12oz. bottles (labeling, boxing, etc).

Good regular drinking beer in bombers, IMHO should be in the $4-$6 range (not including, Imperials, BA & Sours)

Even Odell Lugene should be equivalent to ~$5.50 in a bomber.
    hopfacebrew and tylerzombie like this.
  27. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Colorado Jan 14, 2007

If it has any ties to Falcon... count me out all together. And at $9 a 22oz... I'm out twice.
    dauss, pjk49202 and hopfacebrew like this.
  28. Domingo

I saw Lone Tree's Acres 'O Green Red for $6 today. That's a damn fine red (+ it's on the malty side) for a reasonable price.
  29. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

It's a huge mistake to call everything a "farmhouse" beer that's not a Farmhouse Beer. It's a style. You never want a knowledgeable consumer picking up the beer then thinking that you screwed up your process and couldn't get the style right. I hope it doesn't get in the way if the beer is good, but there have been plenty of companies that struggled with this exact thing in the past. There isn't much that I can think of to be gained by adding the label, but a lot to lose.
    alexipa likes this.
  30. Prospero

Well...... historically farmhouse ales were all sorts of styles brewed in farmhouses during the summer and were meant to be session-able ales. Farmhouse has only recently implied a saison or even biere de garde (it used to include both and was hard to identify), but now those are clearly defined as a style I don't see why the term farmhouse can't be laxed. Maybe I'm missing something.

Although from the looks of the labels "Farmhouse" Red Ale, Stout and IPA would definitely be misleading and not really representative of the term's historical usage, unless they are brewing with a farmhouse/saison yeast and/or fermenting with various yeast strains found in their locale.
  31. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Dammit, Mike, you know what I mean...

Flaunt your farmhouse ale historical knowledge on Wikipedia. This is BA: Where facts go to die.
    Prospero likes this.
  32. Prospero

I'm bored at work... yea... I knew what you meant :)

I was just thinking about Jester King and their use of "Farmhouse yeast" in their Imperial Stout (9.3%) and the like, so even Jester King is only half farmhouse.